WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile Beginner in Franklin Looking for Day Hikes

Hiya Everyone, I am new here. I am fairly new to hiking and have some time on my hands since I am currently not working. I am looking for someone or maybe a small group to hike with. I am not able to do crazy miles .... yet.

I am thinking maybe a hike of less than 10 miles would make a wonderful day hike for me. I am free every day of the week!!... well until I get a job Okay I saw a request for a Time Frame.... I will say anytime between Aug 1-10th for a start.

I also have two dogs who love hiking, a german shepherd and a cockerpoodle. Any advice on equiping and helping dogs to enjoy the hike more would be appreciated

Gotta have a little fun Sometimes!!
    Yowie

At some point introduce yourself to Ron Haven, who owns several properties downtown, including the Sapphire Motel. He is a great friend to the hiking community, as well as enjoying hiking himself. he knows the area around Franklin intimately and could give you all sorts of ideas on good local hikes and places worth exploring.

Thanks a bunch for your response. I think I met Ron a couple years ago, but I could always go introduce myself again.

Perhaps I should not have mentioned my two dogs in my post looking for group hikes. One reason I like taking at least my little dog along with me on my hikes is because I like having a partner and it makes me feel less alone on the trail. If someone were to take me up on my offer for a group hike, I would not bring my dog. I noticed another forum regarding dogs on the trail and how most hikers prefer they stay home, maybe thats why I have not received any responses in my search for hikes.

Hope you have a wonderful week

Yowie

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

One of my favorite hikes is to head over to Standing Indian Campground on Old Hwy 64. It is right past Winding Stair Gap on the left. Park your car in the backcountry parking lot and hike the Kimsey Creek Trail up to Deep Gap and then turn left onto the AT and head north (on the trail). This part of the trail makes a huge loop around the Standing Indian Basin and you will end up prettu close to your car. You can take several days to do this or as little as 1 day and a half.

John
    Papa John

Images

When I stayed in Franklin back in February, I got all my info from the chamber of commerce. They sent maps at my request, and have a really good list of trails on the website with perfect descriptions and directions. If I were to stay in the area again, I would definitely wish to finish the Bartram Trail. Try accessing the BT at Jones Gap and hike Whiterock for a great day hike.

http://www.franklin-chamber.com/visi...ion/hiking.asp

Whiterock mountain (In early February, from Jones Knob)
    Last edited by gghiker; 08-05-2008 at 13:08. Reason: add a link
    "Only in the woods can one find solitude without loneliness."-Robert Traver
    Flickr

Smile

Wow.. beautiful. Thank you so much! I did not realize you could request maps from the chambers of commerce for hiking. I have not actually looked at that site in a very long time. Now I have a whole bunch of new hikes to try. Today, my dad and I went to Black Rock Mountain Park and hiked the Tennessee Rock Trail. Very nice hike!

++ New Posts ++