My brother and I hiked most of the Connecticut section in early October and used two of the numerous camp sites along the Trail. Silver Hill camp site was great. It had a pump, covered "dining pavillion" with three picnic tables, benches and a composting privy. Lots of flat ground and a view to the east catches the sunrise. Belter's camp site, on the other hand, was not as "improved." A few flat spots, a tiny spring (that was very low, but usable) and a phantom privy. The map at the entrance to the camp site indicated a privy, but we never found it. Plus, it was noisy -- trains, cars and, in the distance, Lime Rock race track.

We also spent the night at the Mt. Algo lean-to site, just not in the lean-to itself. Plenty of tent space around the site. The brook was very low, but we were able to dip enough water for our needs. Lots of trash around, which was disappointing and unusual since the Trail in Connecticut was almost completely free of garbage.

Stopped for lunch at the Pine Swamp Brook lean-to, which also has a brook as a water source. Water was plentiful, but someone had dumped their dinner leftovers right in the stream! Didn't seem to be much room for tents around the shelter. I have read accounts of how buggy this site is in the summer.

All the shelters were in good repair and all the shelters have metal roofs that amplify the noise of mouse activity and made falling acorns sound like gunshots!

We also saw the Plateau camp site just north of Salisbury, which was small, un-level and the spring was dry.