WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Oh and about Lime Rock speedway - there was no race Saturday NIGHT - there was during the day but it wasn't terribly loud except at the Hang gliders view. So it was quite pleasant at Sharon Mnt. CS.
    ~Christy

And becasue I can't seem to get my thoughts all together today - the Pump at Silver Hill Campsite is NOT functioning. it is posted going SOBO at road crossing prior to Silver Hill. So Hike in water!
    ~Christy

By the way, local blue laws prohibit racing on Sundays at Lime Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    Friday 4/24/09 Slept at Platue Campsite. worked perfectly after work on a friday to get out to the trail. We did bring water and left it at the car for the morning. found a perfect little tent spot past the Privy and up a bit.

Saturday 4/25/09 Stayed at Sharon Mountain Campsite. Nice site, lots of level tent spots. great water. Supposedly there is a "view" but it has long since grown in. heh thought the view from the pot was better. Water source was running well.
    sounds like y'all had a great hike. did you get in all your miles?

Yep! My DH now has CT complete! though I am sure we will still head out on the CT trail since its so close and some weekend we just want to get out in to the woods!

***a side note we really saw almost no trash! just picked up a couple of canister plastic caps and that was about it
    ~Christy

I seem to be one of the few that likes "race" noise. As a former motorcycle road racer I was able to take my bike out on Lime Rock during testing sessions years ago. I dont know if they allow bikes on any more, but it holds great memories. But nothing beats the scream of an F1 V8 revving at 18rpms!!!

I'm not sure if it was Silver Hill, but one campsite in CT was an old house. It burned down almost 20 years ago.

Does anyone have any pictures of the old shelter at Silverhill? I thought I read someplace that it was struck by lightning and burned down. Can anyone confirm this?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CT5150 View Post
    7/10/08 - hiked from West Cornwall, North, to Salisbury.

Pine Swamp Brook water is orange/brown - skip it. (Get water from stream at Sharon Mtn Campsite, 2.4 mi North) Lot's of mosquitoes around this shelter.

Sharon Mtn Campsite is just that, but with decent water.

Belter's Bump Campsite has a spring, but the flow was getting low.

Limestone Spring Shelter. Sorry, I blew right by it.

Hydroelectric Plant - gotta love that shower!

Plateau Campsite stinks and it's so close to the trailhead.

Riga Shelter has great view of sunrise. Spent a night here. I can't wait until they upgrade the privy. I slept in and the trail maintainer arrived to tidy up. He said that they're going to helecopter in all of the materials for the privy and upgrading the shelter. I can't wait.

The Ball Brook Campsite was just that, with a small stream.

The Bond Shelter at Brassie Brook was nice. The brook was flowing strong.
    Is there water at the Riga Shelter and the next couple of shelters to the north?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Is there water at the Riga Shelter and the next couple of shelters to the north?
    if you are talking now, you don't need treking poles, you need oars

Anyone know if there is water at the Plateau Campsite, right now?

Images

I want Ct to allow campfires on the trail,but i highly doubt that will happen.
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Oh...there is water!!! Its been raining for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    Anyone know if there is water at the Plateau Campsite, right now?
    i wouldn't trust the rust pump there, but town ain't far

Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Oh...there is water!!! Its been raining for ever.
    yeah, no kiddin'

Racebrook Campsite? between Race and Everett

I haven't stayed there since I was a kid, is this still there? Planning a shakedown hike for some friends who want to tag along with us in NH and this would be the perfect spot for us.

thanks!
    ~Christy

Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    Racebrook Campsite? between Race and Everett

I haven't stayed there since I was a kid, is this still there? Planning a shakedown hike for some friends who want to tag along with us in NH and this would be the perfect spot for us.

thanks!

Race Brook Falls Campsite is about 0.5 miles east of the AT between Race and Everett. Yes, it is still there. I have been there 3 times in the past 1.5 years. Taking the Scouts there next month... so pm me for dates.

good to know it is still there PM sent!
    ~Christy

Silver Hill used to be a private getaway cabin, which is why you can see parts of the foundation outside the kitchen pavilion. The tanks and piping were to provide water to it. When the ATC bought the land, I think the cabin had already burnt down or been destroyed in some other incident.

The reason for no fires on the CT AT is that much of AT corridor is very narrow --- in some cases only 10 or so feet wide and the private landowners surrounding it would not appreciate having their property set on fire because of an errant campfire.

It is nice to have a campfire, but its a small sacrifice and it also keeps the area around the campsites from getting firewood "browsed"....

Quote Originally Posted by JHiker View Post
    Silver Hill used to be a private getaway cabin, which is why you can see parts of the foundation outside the kitchen pavilion. The tanks and piping were to provide water to it. When the ATC bought the land, I think the cabin had already burnt down or been destroyed in some other incident.
    The cabin was still there when the AMC took it over. Part of it was partitioned off as a kitchen for use by trail crews, the rest was open for hikers to use. Downstairs there was a couch and a big fireplace, with a loft above the partitioned off kitchen area for sleeping. I stayed there several times before it burned down due to an out of control chimney fire one winter.

When my daughter was young I used to bring her and friends there for weekend 'hikes' and campouts. They loved the swing and the squeaky water pump. Many fond memories there!
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++