WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Muir

15 days in 2006 to do the whole thing. In '08 I did 115 miles (or so) at about 10 miles/day. The trail is nicely switchbacked the whole way, but you're climbing 3000' - 4000' most every day.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Helmuth.Fishmonger View Post

Reds Meadow Resort store - drop off or mail package - they charge a reasonable fee (I think I paid $20 last time, box for 3 hikers, food for 4 days)
    http://www.redsmeadow.com/the-resort.htm

gotta clarify that after I found their rate sheet from last year

They charge $25 to get a package from the post office to their store, and then $1.00 per day for storing it there until you pick it up. Hand delivered packages (we did that) are $1.00 a day, no pickup fee.

the details, rightoff the form I found here: http://www.redsmeadow.com/pdf/PackagePickUp.pdf

Package Pick-Up and Package Storage
    (Applicable Only Between June 15-October 1 approximately)
    (Service Not Available Other Times of the Year)

Your Choices:
    1. Mail to Red’s Meadow (address below).
    Red’s Picks Up at P. O. and Delivers to Red’s Meadow General Store.
    2. Hand Deliver to Red’s Meadow General Store.
    (Not By Mail)
    3. Fed-Ex or UPS; c/o 1849 Condominiums, Attn: Bob Tanner
    826 Lakeview Blvd., Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
    (Strictly Emergency Basis Only!)
    -----------------------------------

Our Policies
    • We must have your signed authorization to pick-up your package.
    • Packages must not exceed 14” high, 14” wide and 24” long.
    • 25.00 charge for Red’s pick-up at the Mammoth Post Office.
    (Includes delivery to Red’s Meadow General Store and 5 days storage)
    • $1.00 for each additional day of storage.
    • $1.00 per day for storage of hand-delivered packages.
    (Begins with first day until package is picked up)
    • Packages may be picked up at Red’s Meadow General Store between
    7 a.m. and 7 p.m. only.
    • We do not arrange for return of packages to you in the event you do not pick-up the package.

We are in Mammoth Lakes approximately 4 times per week. We will pick up
    packages only when we are in the Mammoth area. (Suggestion: Mail your package so that it arrives several days before you get to Red’s Meadow. Parcel Post recently seems to be taking 30 days, so if your arrival at Red’s is less than 30 days from mailing your package, mail it 1st class, so you will not be detained or inconvenienced)

Enclosed is $25.00 per package, not to exceed 14” high, 14” wide and 24” long. I authorize Red’s Meadow to pick up my package(s) in accordance with the above policies on or about ____________. (approximate date you expect us to pick up your package)

Your Name: _________________________________

Your Address: _________________________________

Signature: ____________________ Date Signed: _____________

Return this form and mail packages to:
    Red’s Meadow
    PO Box 395
    Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546

oh - reds meadow resort phone is (800) 292-7758

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    =======================

Well ...that's kinda where I'm coming from. I have high hopes that long distance trails are in my future but realistically, short term anyway, I'm looking at this one.

Why don't you come out and join us next year ?? I'll be hiking REALLY slowly.

'Slogger
    When are you going??

Relatively easy getting to/from the trail at the end pts. Yosemite Valley(Happy Isles) - public transportation, Mt Whitney TH/small storerelatively easy hitch into Lone Pine where you can get public transportation that goes along that side of the Sierras. Reds Meadow and Tulomne Meadows easy to get rides. After that who knows. All part of the adventure.

Images

Be careful with the shuttles and busses. They don't run the same times every day, and some days not at all. They have summer schedules. Check out Downhill's JMT journal.

This year they finally have a bus that goes from Line Pine to Reno again. Last summer you had to plan on a layover of a day at Mammoth to even make it to Lee Vining.

http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/

in the 80s and early 90s there was still a Greyhound going up US 395 but since that line was shut down, the new CREST route from Line Pine to Reno is the first time you can easily get from one end of the Muir to the other (I usually drive there and park my car on one end of the trail)

If you have to have time critical transportation, there's also Bob Ennis who runs a shuttle service out of Lone Pine. In summer he makes several runs to Whitney Portal, and with enough lead time you can have him drive you to Yosemite ($$$). http://mountwhitneyshuttle.com/

Good forum to check out on transportation issues:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/commu...forum.php?f=16

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    For those who have hiked the John Muir ...how long did it take you to cover the 211 miles ??

Also ...what are the logistics in terms of getting to and from the trail.

Thanks.

'Slogger
    If you have the time I would plan for 3 weeks. My plan was 19 days but ended up getting off after 2 weeks due to a broken big toe. The trails is very well graded but the elevation takes time to get used to.

Depending on when you are going. In late June there can be lots of snow to slow you down. Backpacker did an article in hiking the JMT in 10 days. The elite hikers said it wore them out trying to keep that pace. Do not let the elevation profile fool you.

Send me your email in a private message and I can send you the data base that my girlfriend put together. Has all of the data information including camp sites and lots of other good stuff.
    Pootz 07

I know this doesn't answer the question of how long the JMT takes, but this is one trail YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUSH! IMO, some of the best eye candy of any trail in the country is to be found on the JMT! Most thru-hikers should figure on doing no more than 18 miles max per day.

Helmuth I hear you about the bus lines. Last year, I got unexpectedly caught with that Mammoth Lakes layover day. BS.

Question Hey Slugger

Hey Slugger, when are your dates for the JMT? A couple of my friends and I are heading out the 3rd week of July. I'm still looking for a cheap used BV500. I was eyeing the bearikade, but hubby said "get your big girl pants on," Unless I can find a good deal on a used one, right??

Cheers!

Hope to see with our MB UL SS#2

Quote Originally Posted by bumpass View Post
    Hey Slugger, when are your dates for the JMT? A couple of my friends and I are heading out the 3rd week of July. I'm still looking for a cheap used BV500. I was eyeing the bearikade, but hubby said "get your big girl pants on," Unless I can find a good deal on a used one, right??

Cheers!

Hope to see with our MB UL SS#2
    I think Footslogger and BS Turtle are traveling right now (hoping they will hit the ol' Shoestead when they swing through NC next week).
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++