WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

leuko tape, leuko tape, leuko tape.

Images

Default NaHCO3

old school baking soda,instead of tooth paste, antacid, anti odor...and for April fools you can fake a seizure whit it,or just take out the small zip lock bag whit it and cut a line and try to sniff it,of course when people are around and watching
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

So I uploaded some pics of everything laid out. It's done, I OWN EVERYTHING. Now all I need is March 1st to hurry up.

I purchased Keen mid hiking boots, SOLE heat mold inserts. Patagonia 3 thermal underwear suite, thermal beanie, and gloves.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

I love my HUBBA, but decided I could not bear the weight. Went with the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis. Carbon pole, and stakes, comes in at 18.3 oz compared with 63 for HUBBA. But, if you can carry it, I definitely would go with the HUBBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorel View Post
    I love my HUBBA, but decided I could not bear the weight. Went with the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis. Carbon pole, and stakes, comes in at 18.3 oz compared with 63 for HUBBA. But, if you can carry it, I definitely would go with the HUBBA.
    I traded my Hubba for a HS TarpTent Contrail a few months ago. My trekking poles are my tent poles, and I have titanium stakes. The whole shebang weighs in at 13.5ounces packed.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Ummm...you may want to check the weight of your Contrail again. Seems a little light!

I agree with Solemates.

You will definitely want a headlamp rather than a flash light. Packing up in the morning or setting up past dark will require two hands.

I would definitely take ear plugs (available in any drug store) -- they're not to block scary sounds, but to mute people who snore like chainsaws; be sure that you have a set of dry clothes to change into at the end of the day; be sure that you can drink Portable Aqua for a period of days. On my first hike, I carried that stuff, too, but I quickly found out that I'm somewhat allergic to iodine (I learned later that a good percentage of people can't use it), so I switched to Aqua Mira. Drink a couple of liters of water treated with Portable Aqua over a period of days as a test.

I'd take a multivitamin everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Seconded. This is good advice. Trail diets are often lacking in certain nutrients your body is otherwise used-to/dependent on to remain healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Ummm...you may want to check the weight of your Contrail again. Seems a little light!
    It's not stock, I've modified a few bits of to bring it down to that weight. Obviously its not including the trekking poles.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I agree with Solemates.

You will definitely want a headlamp rather than a flash light. Packing up in the morning or setting up past dark will require two hands.

I would definitely take ear plugs (available in any drug store) -- they're not to block scary sounds, but to mute people who snore like chainsaws; be sure that you have a set of dry clothes to change into at the end of the day; be sure that you can drink Portable Aqua for a period of days. On my first hike, I carried that stuff, too, but I quickly found out that I'm somewhat allergic to iodine (I learned later that a good percentage of people can't use it), so I switched to Aqua Mira. Drink a couple of liters of water treated with Portable Aqua over a period of days as a test.

Hey John, Thanks for the advice. My Gerber Infinity is lightweight and has a built in clip. I've used it several times by clipping it to my hats, and that's what I'll be using for the trail.

Somewhere in that pile is a pair of decent earplugs on a string in a box. Trust me, I made sure I had a pair. It's better to not know a bear's outside my tent, then to be freaking out and awake. There are two sets of clothes. my hiking set, and my sleeping set, the pile didn't show the specifics. I decided against pills and purchased a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter, its heavier, but more reliable and less hassle and taste issues.

In the pile, there's an empty nalgene mini-bottle. Before I hit the trail, its going to be filled with one a day's. I got this advice from several posts on here, so I got it ready to go.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

SurferNed...just curious since I own a Contrail too. Did you cut the floor out to get that weight? Thanks for the info.

Images

go with a lightweight alcohol stove like a turbolite -ditch the trowel you don't need it look at another pack like a granite gear vapor trail ditch the sig use a gator aid bottle just my take after 10 years of learning how to go farther with less weight Hillbilly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++