WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    IMO (not to be mean about it) but folks who inquire about hunting on the AT, particularly in the context of a thru-hike, are woefully ignorant of what the AT, and thru-hiking are about. Caught up in some kind of Daniel Boone fantasy. In short, there are far better places to hunt, fish, or even camp. Seems to me that hunting and thru-hiking are mutually exclusive activities. Nothing in common, except that they're both done in the woods.
    Maybe, but some people rush their hike too much. Hunting if done legally and safely may intensify the experience. When walking the trail a person is observing nature, while hunting a person is a part of nature (IMO). To me nothing satisfies quite like a supper you supplied yourself. In Michigan I've combined hunting, fishing, and gathering with my backpacking experience, it has been most satisfying.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Maybe, but some people rush their hike too much. Hunting if done legally and safely may intensify the experience. When walking the trail a person is observing nature, while hunting a person is a part of nature (IMO). To me nothing satisfies quite like a supper you supplied yourself. In Michigan I've combined hunting, fishing, and gathering with my backpacking experience, it has been most satisfying.
    A thru hike requires a certain minimum number of miles per day, on average. I don't see how you can maintain that minimum and still hunt regularly -- bearing in mind that the hunt involves lots more than simply shooting the animal. As others have mentioned, the AT goes through several National Parks where hunting would be illegal. (Not to mention state parks where it may be illegal...)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    A thru hike requires a certain minimum number of miles per day, on average. I don't see how you can maintain that minimum and still hunt regularly -- bearing in mind that the hunt involves lots more than simply shooting the animal. As others have mentioned, the AT goes through several National Parks where hunting would be illegal. (Not to mention state parks where it may be illegal...)
    It might take a person five months to hike the AT. If one hunted and fished it might take 5 months and two weeks or 6 months. If time is not a problem hunting could be viable. Instead of takeing a zero in town one could take a hunting zero. It must be done safely and leagally.

It looks like night time in the photo.
    Where there are game animals you may hunt at night, rabbit is probably not one of them.
    That would be one expensive rabbit if you get caught.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    It looks like night time in the photo.
    Where there are game animals you may hunt at night, rabbit is probably not one of them.
    That would be one expensive rabbit if you get caught.
    The best hunting is usually first thing in the morning, last thing before night. Our hunting hours in Michigan end one half hour after sunset, It is still light out but getting dark fast. We could give him the benifit of the doubt. One should always follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    It might take a person five months to hike the AT. If one hunted and fished it might take 5 months and two weeks or 6 months. If time is not a problem hunting could be viable. Instead of takeing a zero in town one could take a hunting zero. It must be done safely and leagally.
    I did say, "hunting regularly." Obviously if it were only done occasionally, there would be less impact on the hiking schedule. I still don't see where hunting and thru-hiking mix, but maybe that's just me.

formerly amazonwoman

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Last edited by Dancer; 07-30-2008 at 13:31. Reason: self edit, timeliness of response
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by amazonwoman View Post
    Hey guys,

Any phone/pager and camera advise? He already decided against the blowgun and has turned the thread toward his other questions. At this point a 'should you hunt and thru-hike?' thread might be in order to keep from highjacking this one.

Just my $.02 though, take it or leave it.
    Thank you amazonwoman. I'm considering the pager quite highly. I'm more interestest in its average signal quality for the mountains. After hunting on trailjournals, I've located a few people who stated they had brought the T900, but no mention of QOS. As for camera, I've decided to go with the Canon A590.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

I wouldn't bring a blown gun myself...just seems like a hassle in the making... but I kinda' fancy the idea... I can say this...years ago a good friend bought a real one for hunting...and we were shooting darts through a Coca~cola bottle and into a cutting board and hadta' use pliers to pull them out...

Hunt or Hike...don't do both..one will only distract from the other...but I can't quit thinking how fun it would be...I bet having a beer with you would be entertaining

if anything i would suggest taking a cell phone. if your only going to use it to call hostels i would say take a cell and only turn it on when you plan to use it that way you save battery and dont have to charge it very much. the blowgun idea is pretty funny though...doesnt sound practical lol

Images

How do you intend to cook your catch? You're gonna need a good knife for gutting and skinning, and maybe a heavy ax to chop some firewood. Leave the blowgun, you're more likely to wound a small critter than kill it, and I think you'll find better ways to spend your lack of energy at the end of the day than hunting wabbits.

its a state of mind

I dont know about all the states involved but in virginia small game season is over by march 1

You kill it, I grill it.
    Hiking is a buffet of walking.

Habitual Hiker
    Journal Entries

He should try it on that giant hog seen on the trail triet couldntd to get the picture on here bu
    Still Going.... Cancer survivor of 13 years!!!!!!!

Habitual Hiker
    Journal Entries
    Still Going.... Cancer survivor of 13 years!!!!!!!

Images

Possession of a blowgun, and killing any wildlife without authorization, even shelter mice, in a National Park is illegal under 36 CFR.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I want to Thank Braid here on WB for his heartwarming contribution to our AT museum Grand Opening festivities. His Hiker Song just sums it all up. Hope all you 09'ers get to sign the banner too , at Traildays or an ALDHA Gathering maybe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++