WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Be careful if you drink alcohol on PA State Game Lands!

Here's a story for the AT hiking community; you have my permission to post this on Whiteblaze, for those who indulge on the trail.

I met Matthewski and dozen or so of his northbound thru-hiking buds the weekend after July 4th out at route 309 in PA. I slacked them from there to Ashfield road where we all camped that evening. At the request of the hikers I drove out later for some beer and food. We were all having a wonderful time. No one was drunk or carrying on, screaming or acting crazy. Johnny Thunder and some other guy were playing guitars and singing, it was very mellow. About 11pm a truck drove up the road and stopped, out come some flashlights and in walks three Pennsylvania Game Commission officers. They took a look around and asked if we were locals, to which we replied a resounding no. They then asked well "where'd you all come from", and the response in unison was "Georgia". Everyone including the officers laughed. What happened next wiped the smiles off of all of the hiker's faces.

The senior officer proceeded to tell us that we were camped too close to the road and the trail and also informed us that alcohol was not permitted on state game lands, news to me and I live in PA. I found out the hard way it is a law and ignorance is no excuse, so I plead guilty as charged. They proceeded to ask every hiker around the campfire, about a dozen of us, for ID's, which we all promptly complied. They spent at least an hour taking down information and asking the hikers questions to which some of them had no legitimate answer. They asked some hikers for a drivers license and some didn't and don't drive. They asked for a place of residence, which hardly anyone had due to hiking. They also asked for phone numbers which some did not have. I think that pissed the officers off a little but the hikers were not being ignorant only honest. Everyone was extremely cooperative. They took our information and said we would all be issued citations ranging from $75 to $200 in less than two weeks. We asked if it would be possible to be given a warning instead and they wouldn't even consider it. The head officer did say "because we were so cooperative, it would probably be at the low end". Well I just received my citation, $158 charge, possession of alcohol on state game lands, what a bunch of BS.

I truly feel the officers actions were unjust, unwarranted, and totally out of line considering the situation. We were not locals, they didn't even ask if we knew alcohol was illegal on state game land and furthermore many of the hikers don't even know when they are on state game lands and or on the trail in PA. We were not raising hell or making a mess, we were all just having a wonderful time enjoying the evening and each others company, that is until the Game Commission came along.

Well, the PA Game Commission made a quick $1500 plus off of some unsuspecting and innocent thru hikers.

Word of caution to hikers: "Be careful where you take a nip on the trail, especially if you're in PA. Big Brother is watching you."

[Posted on behalf of] Bag'o'Tricks

no sympathy. shoulda been deeper in the woods and in a smaller group.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

ah man ...you should have been smokin instead
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

what a crock!!! they should be bustin' those spray paint can totin' punks that keep sprayin' all those beautiful vista's.....

Images

the sympathy bus just left, sorry

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

I don't think Tricks was looking for sympathy...just to warn folks about what could happen.

Images

. . . . . . . .
    Last edited by Two Speed; 07-24-2008 at 05:31.

From experience, you can give the agents of the state false info and you will never receive your citation.

its all money games to them. the officers have no hard feelings, they just have a mindless job to do.

Images

There is a case in NC right now where a wildlife officer did the same thing to a girl and she seud hell out of the officer.An NC state senator has tried to help the officers and that was knocked down in court also.Wildlife officers are no different than other people.Sometime they push their authority and in this case now they are crying the blues to save their job.

If it is an intrest here is the story http://thefranklinpress.com

[email protected]
    While a lawsuit with serious consequences for N.C. wildlife officers across the state will move forward, a state Senator is fighting to get legislation passed that will give them the legal protection they need to do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    From experience, you can give the agents of the state false info and you will never receive your citation.

its all money games to them. the officers have no hard feelings, they just have a mindless job to do.

If they are demanding to see ID and you don’t have it I could see the cop with a chip on his shoulder arresting you till he knows for sure who you are. At the point your drivers license that doesn’t match the name you gave him you have real problems.

I guess it would work if you don’t get detained, but cops are use to people giving them a false name and push for proof of the right name, no ID and my guess he’s going to arrest you till it’s sorted out as to who you really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    There is a case in NC right now where a wildlife officer did the same thing to a girl and she seud hell out of the officer.An NC state senator has tried to help the officers and that was knocked down in court also.Wildlife officers are no different than other people.Sometime they push their authority and in this case now they are crying the blues to save their job.

If it is an intrest here is the story http://thefranklinpress.com

[email protected]
    While a lawsuit with serious consequences for N.C. wildlife officers across the state will move forward, a state Senator is fighting to get legislation passed that will give them the legal protection they need to do their jobs.
    In the article she did not contest the fact that she was DWI. Suppose the wildlife officers follwed her untile the State Police caught up to them. Whay if she was in an accident before that happened and killed someone. Game officer would probably have been sued too.

It may not have been legal, but it was the right thing to do.

She should stop wasting the courts time and the states money and own up to the crime and thank god she didn't hurt or kill anyone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post

You might be right, but I'd hate to learn the hard way.

Sounds like they legitimately didn't know/think they were doing anything wrong, and it's probably an annoying and inconvenient exchange. Still, common sense dictates big groups, roads and alcohol don't mix...

Trix is a good guy who has done a lot to help hikers, sucks to hear.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

I can understand why Trix was upset about the fines, but at the same time there isn't much to gripe about here. They were on State game lands, with alcohol, apparently too close to the road or trail. Yeah, they could have been let off with a warning, but in my experience with LEO's, once there's more than one officer present and you're in obvious violation of some code you're outta luck and getting a ticket. Just the way it goes.
    Chalk it up as another unwanted learning experience.

There are countless signs along the trail informing people of the rules and markings of state gamelands. They should have all known. $158 is a little steep though.

this "trail magic" stuff will get you in trouble

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

One thing that could get you out of it, but will cost you time in court, is if you appeal it.

If you appeal it, the officer has to show up to the appeal, or it's thrown out.

Most officers, for minor violations, will not bother to show.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Images

Rule #1 of all prep for a hike that I have read.....Research. You are responsible for knowing where you are at and what rules apply to that area. Being from PA...I have nothing but respect for our wildlife officers that keep the areas safe for all. Seems as if several rules were broken...too close to trail, too close to road and the alcohol...absurd to think that you should get off with nothing but a warning. Live up to what you have done and next do your research.

Quote Originally Posted by truthisnature View Post
    Rule #1 of all prep for a hike that I have read.....Research. You are responsible for knowing where you are at and what rules apply to that area. Being from PA...I have nothing but respect for our wildlife officers that keep the areas safe for all. Seems as if several rules were broken...too close to trail, too close to road and the alcohol...absurd to think that you should get off with nothing but a warning. Live up to what you have done and next do your research.
    group size matters too. a "dozen or so" drinking alcohol will draw attention

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    There are countless signs along the trail informing people of the rules and markings of state gamelands. They should have all known. $158 is a little steep though.

Alot of signs on National and State Forest and Park property but not on Pa State Game Lands. Usually the only markings are large white paint circles on the boundry trees. I'm from Pa. and I wouldn't have paid it. I would have fought it in front of a judge....it would have probably been thrown out due to a no show by the officers. Most officers are very polite, understanding will attempt to "guide" the offender in the right direction on a first time problem. Officers who just jump into the situation this deep for such minor problems usually won't show for the hearing because they are suddenly not at the top of the food chain.

geek

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++