WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Funny you should ask that question. I just finished piecing together a map of the hike. The three trails in the hike are all three different colors. See what you think. It is attached and sized for printing on regular paper.
    I have ben looking for a better map than the park service has. Good job Bulldawg

Images

That is nice work. Now if I can get my ing printer to behave all will be good on Planet Two Speed

That is really good work! If I remember right, the H2O sources are going to be Slaughter Creek, then none 'til Calf Stomp, then you cross a few small streams then next mostly reliable source will be the foot bridge on Coosa Backcountry then after crossing 180 at Burnett Gap, there is a big stream inside Vogel State Park Land. So..... the biggest factor is if Slaughter Creek is flowing. Whether I go or not, I can call a few folks for you guys before hand to check water.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MamaCat View Post
    That is really good work! If I remember right, the H2O sources are going to be Slaughter Creek, then none 'til Calf Stomp, then you cross a few small streams then next mostly reliable source will be the foot bridge on Coosa Backcountry then after crossing 180 at Burnett Gap, there is a big stream inside Vogel State Park Land. So..... the biggest factor is if Slaughter Creek is flowing. Whether I go or not, I can call a few folks for you guys before hand to check water.
    I think you are right on the water. There will be water headed out of BHR Lot, shouldn't need water there. Then water at Slaughter. I was there about 4 or 5 weeks ago. There was water, but you had better be REAL patient if you want a lot. Then there is water at Wolfpen Gap I think, a bit of a hike to get it though I think. Then there is water in that creek headed down Coosa, just before you get to Calf Stomp. Then there is no water until the foot bridge. I think that is West Fork of Wolf Creek or something like that. There is a stream that flows across the trail just before Burnett Gap. Then of course all the water you could ever drink in Wolf Creek inside the park.

We have had several really nice storms these last few nights. If this continues, the streams should be really well charged.

I may try to put water markers on the map later tonight.
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 07-23-2008 at 21:39.

You da man Bulldawg!
    You can't fix stupid....

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, here is water on the map. Feel free to ask me to add or make corrections as needed.

Default Scouting Report 7/24/08

The upside to a downsided economy is , if you don't have work, go hiking! I took the oppurtunity today and went to have a look at the water flow and possible camp sites at Slaughter Gap.
    The water at Slaughter Gap is just a seep, but flowing. It will take some patience and work but water can be had. The only established campsite at Slaughter is rather small... maybe room enough for up to four campers. We may have to spread ourselves out a bit on Friday night. Lots of campites south of the Duncan Ridge intersection . The water source at the Slaughter Gap Creek trail intersection is down to a seep also.
    It was a fine morning to be out and I had a great exploratory trip.
    Walked right up on a feeding deer and we looked each other over. She was not the least concerned about me and went right on eating as if I wasn't there.
    We'll keep our fingers crossed about the water situation between now and Sept. I'll go back and update sometime in August.
    Looking forward to the hike"
    Bloodmountainman
    Moses

Journal Entries
    Images

Bump this baby up just a bit.

Bump this baby up just a bit.
    Getting anxious to go? Been awful hot ..... but I've been getting a couple hours in the mornings....in and out stuff. Workdays a little cut these days, so I can keep my trail legs up!
    Moses

Journal Entries
    Images

Heck yes, I have not officially hiked in 5 weeks. Its too darned hot. I am going to do some hiking next weekend. I'll give you details a little later.

Can hardly wait. Going some where before September. Don't know when or where yet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well guys, believe it or not, I am bailing on this one now. There is a concert I have been promising to take my kids too. The guy is sort of small time, usually only plays bars, and my kids not being 21, can't go. So I had promised them over a year ago if he ever came somewhere close that was all ages, they could go. So anyway, he is in Athens at Legion Field on 9-19, my daughter knows about it, she knows it is all ages, so I have to go. I hate it, I might try to catch up with you guys somewhere Saturday.

Well guys, believe it or not, I am bailing on this one now. There is a concert I have been promising to take my kids too. The guy is sort of small time, usually only plays bars, and my kids not being 21, can't go. So I had promised them over a year ago if he ever came somewhere close that was all ages, they could go. So anyway, he is in Athens at Legion Field on 9-19, my daughter knows about it, she knows it is all ages, so I have to go. I hate it, I might try to catch up with you guys somewhere Saturday.
    A long ride back from Jacksonville, 500 miles from a game that we should have won. Man we ought to burn down that stadium. Thought this year was going to be ours, talkin too much junk in them FL bars, and now I'm stunned. Man I wish it was 1981!

Love some Corey Smith! Well, maybe you can hook up with us Saturday evening.
    You can't fix stupid....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    A long ride back from Jacksonville, 500 miles from a game that we should have won. Man we ought to burn down that stadium. Thought this year was going to be ours, talkin too much junk in them FL bars, and now I'm stunned. Man I wish it was 1981!

Love some Corey Smith! Well, maybe you can hook up with us Saturday evening.
    Yep yep! It will be like me and the wife's 4th time to see him, but it has always been in bars. And the kids love him too, so I made the promise should he ever play somewhere close that is all ages, they could go.

I'm looking forward to some mountain air, can't get here soon enough.

Images

I'm ready, too!

Heck yes, I have not officially hiked in 5 weeks. Its too darned hot. I am going to do some hiking next weekend. I'll give you details a little later.
    I may do a VERY early morning hike Sunday up Raven Cliffs...... try and catch some wild rainbows on Dodd Creek. Join me if you're able. Plan to hit the trail about 7:00 AM.
    Moses

Images

Was going to Raven Creek Falls on Thursday, then we decided to do Panther Creek Falls. Had planned to do Raven on Sunday, then that was changed to something local on the Hooch. Now it looks like I'll be staying home.... geezzzz
    MoBill

Hike not for miles - Hike to see a world others walk by without seeing.

Pinhoti Journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7238

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    I may do a VERY early morning hike Sunday up Raven Cliffs...... try and catch some wild rainbows on Dodd Creek. Join me if you're able. Plan to hit the trail about 7:00 AM.
    Hey, sounds like a nice idea. Let me see if I stay out too late partying at the pool tonight and we will see. If I want to go, where should we plan to meet?

Images

Good job on the map.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++