WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

I recently took a trip to Zion NP with the family and had a reservation for a campsite in the Narrows http://www.zionnationalpark.com/park...reck_large.jpg. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't cooperating and the forecast was 60-70% chance of rain, which increased the potential for flash floods. So, we took a permit for CS #8 on the West Rim Trail. We headed over to the outfitter to cancel our shuttle for the Narrows. They suggested that we take a van to the trailhead at the top of the West Rim Trail and hike downhill instead of hiking uphill. I agreed since my wife and oldest daughter were hiking with us.

We caught the shuttle early the next morning and enjoyed the history & sociology lessons from our driver whose family had lived in the valley for 4-5 generations. He dropped us off in 40 deg temps, no humidity, and sunny skies. Great hiking weather. We hiked for awhile and were very surprised to reach camp by 10:00 AM. After a short family meeting, we voted to continue hiking South back to the North fork Virgin River. My wife grew tired with the backpack, so I gave her a break and carried two packs. We saw only 3 other hikers all day as we continued hiking until we reached the last campsite CS #1 and the only one with water. It was 3:00 and we decided to make camp.

We had put up 2 tents and my son and daughter were off getting water when a LEO walked up and asked "are you sure that you are at the right campsite?" We knew that we weren't and replied no and that the campsite was still open when we picked up our permit. I asked if he knew if anyone was planning to use the campsite, and he replied, "yes, I am". He started asking questions and indicated he was going to issue a citation, so I asked, if he would spare us the trouble if we packed up and moved on. He agreed and we moved on.

My wife and daughter (non-hikers) completed 17 miles that day. My son & I made it 18 after the round trip up Angels Landing. http://www.alpinedave.com/zion/prodi...ls_landing.jpg http://www.myutahtravel.com/my_files...nding_view.jpg

I considered the day a success, my wife called it something else.

We hiked the Narrows the next day after the front passed through.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Was changing shirts about 10 miles south of Tricorner Knob in GSMP when a ranger walked up. We talked for a few minutes, he looked at my permit and we parted ways.

Nice guy.

Smile Uwharria National Forest

Was in Uwharria national forest with my wife who is not that experienced in hiking.

We had about two hours left in our three day hike. We came across a ranger burning the underbrush on the path we were hiking on. No where along the trail did they say they were burning that day.

The ranger looks at us and tells us to go back the way we came. I tried to explain to him that we could not turn around and walk three days out since we were out of food. He said he didn't care and that we had to walk back the way we came.

So we turned around and walked about a half mile down the trail waited till he left and walked through the fire. IT was about a three minute walk through the brush burn and we were out of it. I was a little irritated to say the least. If he was worried about our safety he should have just walked us the three minutes through the brush burn or at least taken us in his truck on the fire road around the burning part.

My wife still want let me forget that trip.

Images

I hope you reported the incident.

Most I have run into just want to go home at the end of the day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Last year on the JMT far from the Yosemite crowds I took a lunchbreak on a log over the inlet stream to picturesque Purple Lake. I was thinking about fishing for trout when I noticed a uniformed ranger heading down the lakeshore trail I had hiked along minutes before.
    She was of native American origin and using a spade shovel as hiking stick. She had her trusty canine companion at her side and proudly said he was 14 years old and still getting around pretty good. We exchanged greetings. She asked a question about my pack and then she made her way on down the trail at a respectable pace that impressed me given the distance from trail entrypoints. Further down the trail at Virginia Lake I spotted her heading down the camping area side trail presumably to use her shovel to bury hiker waste. She had remarked during our brief encounter that her ranger job was, at times, comparable to a glorified janitor. However the lasting impression of her outdoor character sticks with me with a great deal of respect.

Images

I think "Be Overofficious at all times" is in the TVA cop job description.

I thinkit was in 99:
    0300 (AM) 7 of us were roused from a deep sleep by 1 State Police Officer & 2 TVA cops. The NC State guy was nice, The TVA cops held guns on us (she a 18 gage 2 barrel shotgun he a 9 mil handgun) & were less than pleasant. The state guy had to tell them to "Put em away".

Quote Originally Posted by Flush2wice View Post
    Had a run in with an overofficious TVA cop at Fontana one time. He confiscated my unopened traveler that was under the drivers seat locked in my truck in the parking lot. I was at the shelter when the interrogation began. I've heard of lots of similar stories there. You'd think if they didn't Hiker Trash, they'd get rid of the shelter that they built.
    I had to drive to Bryson City the next morning to resupply before starting my hike.
    I know TVA cops aren't rangers, but they have jurisdiction on that tiny little stretch of Trail.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Not a ranger related story but similar..

Several years ago I was doing a 4 day canoe paddle down the St. Croix River which divides Maine and NB, Canada. On day two I hear the thump thump thump of a helicopter off in the distance behind me and within minutes feel the down draft from the blades as it cruises overhead. I pay no attention and carry on or rather allow the river to guide me along.

About half an hour later I round a bend just before the flat water begins and see the US Border Services Helicopter sitting on Rock Island in the centre of the river with two Border Patrol Officer's standing on the remainder of this tiny island. As I approach they yell out to me to pull in and provide ID...

Being Canadian, and on an International Heritage River, I payed no attention and mumbled something about international waters as I floated by. They quickly fired up the chopper and a very slow canoe/chopper chase ensued for all of 30 seconds before they pulled off and disappeared over the treeline...

They circled me several more times over the course of the afternoon but never made an attempt to land or stop me again... Very odd, but such is life living in a border community post 9/11...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    ... (she a 18 gage 2 barrel shotgun he a 9 mil handgun) & were less than pleasant. The state guy had to tell them to "Put em away".
    An "18 GA" is a pretty rare piece.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

While hiking the Lassen NF last weekend I was wondering how many Rangers actually hike the trails. About 6 miles in the trail merged with the PCT and we came upon a little log cabin just off the trail. As we explored we saw a "Park Ranger" sign. The door was open and we thought someone had broken in, but a ranger came out to greet us. He was a nice guy, friendly, in good shape and must have walked in. We didn't stay long as the cabin was near two lakes and once we stopped the mosquitoes converged on us, but the hike and Ranger experience was good.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

One winter day, my husband and I had hiked longer than we meant to in Michaux State Forest, PA, making a circuit out of the AT and some woods roads. Approaching our car at dusk, we were concerned to see another car sitting next to it with the engine running. We were tired and cold, with nowhere to run to if the guy turned weird. It turned out to be a park ranger who had seen us at another point in our hike, figured this must be our car, and was concerned because we were still out there somewhere. He was waiting to make sure we got back OK. The warm feeling I had on the way home wasn't just from the car heater.

I've been hiking in the Whites for a long time, and I've never seen a ranger in the backcountry.

Images

Nothing like a bump to a 2 year old thread.

We were out with the scout troop on the Florida Trail (Titi Creek section) on Eglin AFB. We were required to have a permit for overnighters on Air Force property (Eglin is the largest military reservation in the states, FWIW). On the second night we were at a front country (primative--no piped water) campsite when 2 (civilian) military police drove up. They were, as others suggested, surprised when we produced our permit. They scrutinized it and questioned our "educational" status (filled in by the issuing office, weeks before). We explained that we were a Boy Scout troop. They accepted that as "educational," but questioned that we were really boy scouts (the scouts were camped at the other end of the campsite from the adults). After talking for a minute, they accepted out status and drove off, disappointed that we were "legal."
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Oh went to a Florida State Park and asked the woman at the gate office what kind of flora and fauna etc was on the hiking trails. She said she had no idea and I said well certainly you have been back there she said she had worked here along time. She tells me know she has never been on the trails and had no idea what it was like back there. Now don't ya think that a park ranger needs to know the park they work in. I hiked the trails so I am thinking I know more about the park than she does.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Not a Ranger but a couple of years ago a Ridgerunner in CT. told my wife and I we were stealing bear food by picking wild blueberries.

I saw alot of "Authorities" on the trail in 2001 and 2002 when everyone was convinced that Eric Rudolph was living on or near the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Not a Ranger but a couple of years ago a Ridgerunner in CT. told my wife and I we were stealing bear food by picking wild blueberries.

Yea thats nuts.... Wow I cannot tell you folks how "pleased" it is for someone to dig up a heartwarming thread from the past. This is one of my personal favorites because it's refreshing to see what others see in people doing a very difficult job.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    An "18 GA" is a pretty rare piece.
    If you see one for sale, let me know.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Seen lot of them. Mostly good experiences.
    Only got asked for permits a few times.

THe good ones are there to help you and I've even had one in the "Bob" invite me to a meal as he remembered me from my first thru 4 years before.
    Another one in Yellowstone once (had thru'd the AT the year before) turned me on to a great hot spring spot to refresh ourselves.

But had the worst in the same park already. The area of the CDT we were going through had griz activity so they said we had to walk the road instead of the trail. While there, we had 2 park rangers stop us to ask what we were doing, checking permits, giving us a hard time.
    When we told them why we were walking the road (because they're backcountry permit office made us) they said they had never heard of the CDT and told us to stay out of trouble that they were going to keep an eye on us. They were more cops (and bad ones) than rangers.

It's just like people in general. There are good and bad everywhere.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Me and my dog took a ride a few years ago on a forest road off of hwy 181 in NC. Stopped to have lunch, a ranger stopped to check us out and saw a rx bottle in the truck and asked what it was, I told him it was the dogs meds for his ears and he gave me a look like I was an idiot. He asked if he could see the bottle. I said sure and handed it to him. He looks at the bottle (Diesel K9 ) in big letters. His face turned red, he handed me the bottle and took off . He didn’t even tell me to have a nice day. LOL

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++