WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

I recommend parking at Race Brook Falls trailhead in Sheffield, MA, a few miles north of the CT/MA line on Rt. 41. It's a 2 mile hike from the A.T. along Race Brook, between Mts. Race and Everett, with a very nice stretch of waterfalls in the second mile. Once you get to the brook crossing below the upper big waterfall (about 75 feet high), take the branch of the trail which goes along the south bank of the brook. You'll see 5 waterfalls in the space of about a quarter mile of trail. Wonderful little trail.

The proper CT/NY border is on Hoyt Road just south of the Rt. 55 parking area. You can park at Rt. 55, as coach lou said, or at Hoyt Road. The 55 parking area is more spacious.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

When I hike around Bear Mountain, I usually end up taking the Lion's Head trailhead, which is up Bunker Hill Road in Salisbury. It will hit the AT a little bit further up than the 41 crossing in town.

Images

1 other quick question, I haven't had time ti pick up the CT-AT book yet and was wondering if anyone knows the total evelation change from border to border

Thanks !!

Images

The trail crosses NY/CT a few times, the first time around 400' or so, by Gaylordsville, and the main cross into CT, by Kent, is around 1200'. The border with MA is when you're down from Bear, and it's around 1650'-1700'. Bear itself hits 2300'.

If you're talking about the sum of all the individual gains across CT, I'd say like 3400' total from Kent-MA (this is my "distracted doing other stuff" guess... I can check my topos later if you really want). It's all pretty gradual (go up a couple hundred feet, ride that for a few miles, drop down, ride a few miles) in the South with a few tiny spikes to worry about, and the North is just more going up to Bear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    The trail crosses NY/CT a few times ...
    True. If 2 Dogs wants to complete the CT section of the AT, then the place to start, NOBO, is Hoyt Road. The part to which you refer, near Schagticoke Mtn where the trail crosses back in to NY, is maintained by the CT AMC section and is considered part of the CT stretch of the trail.

I've heard that, all ups and downs included, the CT section of the AT is about 7500', if memory serves me correctly. From Rt 41 north to Bear's summit is about 1750', including descents and re-ascents. I'd say Great Falls to Rt 41 NOBO is about 1200', including all ups and downs. Have heard Bulls Bridge to 341 has a fair amount of up and down.

I believe there are threads here where one can look up charts of the elevation gained/lost by section.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Thanks to all who responed - I appreciate all the great info

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++