WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Getting Off

Pneunonia.

Quote Originally Posted by pdcolelli42 View Post
    This has become very interesting. How can you say this is a vacation? A vacation from what? All it really is is a journey in a particular point in my life. It's more of a transition in my life than a vacation. I quit my job to do this, I'm not planning on going back afterwards. I plan for my life to be completely different after this. When I'm done hiking the AT I hope to buy a car (just sold mine) and travel across the country to the west. I want to see what the west has to offer. Once I get there I will either look for a job again and start saving money for my next big adventure or volunteer somewhere in exchange for shelter and food. My point is, this hike has it's place in the grand scheme of things in my life and it's no vacation, more of a transition into a new way of life. I'm not going to be a slave to the traditional ways of holding down a job for the rest of my life all just to retire, I'm going to live my life the way I want starting now.

Next point, I fail to really see how attempting/completing a thru hike would cause me to be selfish. Consider this, I have no wife, no kids, few people I'd call friends, sure I have parents and a sister but to be perfectly honest I'm growing tired of being around them. It seems like they constantly judge what I do, question my choices, and don't even understand what I do or even the way I think. I at least try to think of it from their perspective. I understand that they may think it's a bad idea that I quit college which was nearly 3 years ago, I understand they may think it's crazy to spend 5 months of my life in their minds wasted on the trail, I understand they don't see life the way I do pertaining to the holding down a job thing. They just don't understand the way I have chosen to live and it seems like they don't even pause in their lives to consider my thoughts as to why I chose to be this way. To me that's selfish, me doing what I want with my life may be a little selfish but at least I think more deeply on the matter than them. I've sold nearly all my possessions, my TV, my car, my bed, all the gear I won't need, basically everything that I wont be carrying on my back during this hike (minus some things like my tools and a few clothes that I'll use later in life). I'm starting to get so caught up on all this I can't even complete this thought. Maybe it is selfish in that I'm not doing it for anyone but myself, but then again who else could it possibly be for?

Oh well, I don't know what else to say now but I'm sure someone will have something to say about this.
    People hike for different reasons, for some it's a life changing experience that leads to another existence, for others it's simply a break away from their normal life which may be full of heavy responsibility and stress...no two people go on the AT for the same reasons.

Some people thru-hike the AT and never hike again, others use it as a gateway for other grand adventures, still some others have plans like yours then find themselves crying at some bus station in GA or NC...

Only one thing is for certain, you have absolutely no idea about long-distance hiking until you do it, and everyone has different reactions to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pdcolelli42 View Post
    Oh I remembered one other thing I'd like to add to my above post. How bout those who have not thru hiked don't comment on those who have, and those who have thru hiked don't comment on those who have not because neither of you will be able to truly understand the others point of view.
    Your choice of avatar makes that more confusing. Most members use that avatar AFTER a thru-hike.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    People hike for different reasons, for some it's a life changing experience that leads to another existence, for others it's simply a break away from their normal life which may be full of heavy responsibility and stress...no two people go on the AT for the same reasons.

Some people thru-hike the AT and never hike again, others use it as a gateway for other grand adventures, still some others have plans like yours then find themselves crying at some bus station in GA or NC...

Only one thing is for certain, you have absolutely no idea about long-distance hiking until you do it, and everyone has different reactions to it.
    i agree and someone 22 will have a hard time understand that. after rearing 4 kids and working for 44 years, it's a vacation
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Your choice of avatar makes that more confusing. Most members use that avatar AFTER a thru-hike.
    Sorry, didn't really realize it was for completed thrus only. I thought it was for people thru hiking from GA>MA. I'll change it.

You're exactly right, it's totally different for everyone. If anything, my plans commit me more to my thru hike, and for the record I've already caught myself crying in NC/TN on a hike. I'm already a hiker, I know what I'm getting myself into. Although there is still plenty left that is unknown.

i agree and someone 22 will have a hard time understand that. after rearing 4 kids and working for 44 years, it's a vacation
    You fit into the same category that I classified my parents in. You fail to see it from my perspective. Age may have some to do with it, but age does not always equal wisdom. In my opinion you can't just say "some 22yo won't understand" that is a broad generalization. You'd have to at least meet me and listen to what I have to say to understand it from my point of view. I don't know how old you are but it would be similar to me saying you're just some old man who would have a hard time understanding my take on life because your already set in your ways. Just because it's your opinion that it's a vacation doesn't just make it a vacation. Relevant to my life it is not a vacation but more of an experience or a journey as I described it earlier.
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

I actually went to change it and saw an avatar that said "2000 miler NOBO" that looked exactly the same so I'm going to keep the one I have now because there's one specifically for completed thrus. The one I have to me represents exactly what it says, I'm a thru hiker on my way from GA>MA. If some other people weigh in here and correct me I'll change it but the way it reads to me doesn't mean it must be used after a thru.

Also wanted to add another comment to this. For some, yes it is merely a vacation. For others it is something different. The way I described my feelings on the matter I don't see it as a vacation. You agreed that people hike for different reasons. I'm not doing it for vacation.
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++