WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Maryland has had a record year for rainfall...we are already well into the top 10 highest annual rainfalls and still have 2.5 wet months to go so you'll likely find abundant water and even extra sources. I'm doing MD Oct 22 and expect to not need to carry more than 2L at any time.

If I’m not mistaken, the longest stretch in MD without water is 5.5 miles.

I understand it has been a really wet year, I was more concerned about water availability in the Winter. In December it usually doesn't get cold enough to freeze running water (where I live in Southern Maryland), so I sounds like I should probably be fine with a couple of 1 liter smart water bottles and a screw on sawyer filter? Actually, in the cold, I probably won't need as much water anyway but I like the idea of having 2 bottles just in case (and for cooking purposes).

You'll be fine with two bottles in general.
    Given that sometimes water is a goodly hike from the shelter or campground I like to have enough capacity(in camp) to only make one trip so I can have enough to be able to leave camp in the morning with how ever much I figure I need in my bottles.
    I frequently end up donating water as I can fetch 10-11L at one go(6L Dromedary, 3L bladder and 32,24, 20 oz bottles) but on the other hand I often take real, warm showers too. Sounds like a lot but its generally a 6L shower, 2L drinking/cooking and 2L more to fill up for departure, so its actually just right.
    I agree at this time of year, one can get by with less water but I consider having a bit of reserve an important safety measure.

Its one thing to survive a long day without water and quite another to have to sweat for a long day and not hydrate. It only takes one fall to ruin the light weight bottles we use or to chafe a hole in a bladder from mis-packing your load. For me the thing is 99.9% of the time not having water is inconvenient or uncomfortable, but when things go sideways- say you fall and cant move at any speed...then water can become critical. So I choose to never be without more than my anticipated need.

I hiked from Dahlgren backpack campground to the Crampton Gap shelter (tent sites) and back yesterday and noticed that the Frost Free Spigot at the Dahlgren campground was not working (do they turn it off for the winter?). The water was running nicely at the Rocky Run shelter.
    Over x-mas (if the weather isn't too horrible) I am planning on doing the Maryland section. I guess the lesson is, get the water when it's available and not to expect the next source (even if it's a frost free spigot) to be working.
    Also, I made it to the tent sites at the Crampton Gap shelter (to stop for lunch) be decided I didn't want to hike down the hill (and then back up) to check out the shelter and water source (I was too lazy).
    Last edited by jungleland1972; 12-11-2018 at 11:51.

Quote Originally Posted by jungleland1972 View Post
    I understand it has been a really wet year, I was more concerned about water availability in the Winter. In December it usually doesn't get cold enough to freeze running water (where I live in Southern Maryland), so I sounds like I should probably be fine with a couple of 1 liter smart water bottles and a screw on sawyer filter? Actually, in the cold, I probably won't need as much water anyway but I like the idea of having 2 bottles just in case (and for cooking purposes).
    I carry the same containers in December as I do in August. I am just as thirsty in both months. Since the keywords of December and Sawyer both have come up, I would warn you against the freezing of water in your sawyer. If you blow the water out of it after using it, the likelihood of it cracking is greatly reduced.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++