WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    I'm curious about that too. I had to postpone my trip till next week, wondering it these "frost free spigots" that the guide books and map keep metioning will even be on this time of year.
    All three of those mentioned are springs (unless Sean meant north of Alt 40, which is the Washington Monument park). I hike through MD often and the only spring that is intermittent is Crampton's Gap. As for spigots, I seem to recall Gathland, Dahlgren, and Washington Monument running over the winter... But I generally just use springs. Mountain water tastes better.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Thanks a lot MDsection12.

Lyte-w8-hyker- I will try to hit all the water sources on my way by this weekend and report back Monday.

Thanks a water report would be great?

Anyone know a shuttle that could take me from harpers ferry and drop me off at the Penn/Md state line?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    Thanks a water report would be great?

Anyone know a shuttle that could take me from harpers ferry and drop me off at the Penn/Md state line?
    Many use the teahorse hostel. I have used Ken from the ATC shuttle list online and he has been great. He was also much cheaper than all of the other shuttlers I called.

Hiked from Turners Gap to Ensign Cowell and back for roughly 30 mile out and back. Lots of folks on the trail. Water report for this section:

Washington Monument- Spigot water available still.
    Pine Knob Shelter- piped spring running fine
    Pogo Campground- didn't stop here but told water available
    Ensign Cowell- water plentiful in box spring. I was able to dip with the bottom of a water bottle and use drops.

I was also told the water at Raven Rock (at old shelter) is plentiful.

Enjoy the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Hiked from Turners Gap to Ensign Cowell and back for roughly 30 mile out and back. Lots of folks on the trail. Water report for this section:

Washington Monument- Spigot water available still.
    Pine Knob Shelter- piped spring running fine
    Pogo Campground- didn't stop here but told water available
    Ensign Cowell- water plentiful in box spring. I was able to dip with the bottom of a water bottle and use drops.

I was also told the water at Raven Rock (at old shelter) is plentiful.

Enjoy the trip.

Thanks a lot, can't wait to knock out Maryland next week!

My daughter and I are planning a section hike starting in MD next week so it seems like a good time to revisit this thread. Anyone know what the current water situation is in MD and south PA? Thanks for any help.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

As previously posted in this thread: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...t=#post2078175

Yes, water sources can get scarce around here after a dry summer. However, in Maryland you can hit a municipal water source about every 10 miles. So with a little planning you won't even need to treat water.

Public water sources SOBO from the MD/PA line:

1226.3 Penman Park, MD/PA line, spigot at bath house
    1136.0 Wolfsville Rd, Ranger's house 0.3 miles down road
    1147.8 Washington Monument State Park, at bath house
    1149.7 Dahlgren Campground, rear of bath house
    1156.9 Gathland State Park, spigot near bath house (also soda machine)
    1166.9 Harpers Ferry

(2013 AT Guide mileage)
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

Spring near Ensign Cowell Shelter is nearly dry....just a nasty mud puddle:
    image.jpeg
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Last in Line, but at least I finish kotaro24's Avatar

Thanks, KaptainKriz. My brother and I are section hiking Maryland next week, this is good to know.

Crampton Gap Spring is dry, and Ensign Cowall is reliably icky in late summer/fall. Haven't heard a report about Pine Knob Shelter spring, but it is likely very slow.

The following springs are reliable and I do not recall them ever going dry. They are listed south to north:

Ed Garvey Shelter
    Rocky Run Shelter
    Annapolis Rocks Campsite
    Pogo Campsite

I think the following is reliable, but not quite sure:

Devil's Racecourse/Raven Rocks

Default Pogo Campsite Spring

Can anyone confirm that the Pogo spring is still viable. When I passed through there about a month ago I could not locate it. Thanks

Its down a side trail off of the main AT just north of the entrance to Pogo Campgrounds. If you look closely you will see the remains of an old spring right where the side trail breaks off the AT. Follow the side trail/ spring bed to the newer spring. I missed it too on my last trip and didn't see the trail until leaving Pogo the following morning heading north.

Great, thank you!

Journal Entries
    Images

yep, 300' west down the thurston grigs trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerfixit View Post
    Its down a side trail off of the main AT just north of the entrance to Pogo Campgrounds. If you look closely you will see the remains of an old spring right where the side trail breaks off the AT. Follow the side trail/ spring bed to the newer spring. I missed it too on my last trip and didn't see the trail until leaving Pogo the following morning heading north.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Cool, that correlates with the Guthooks entry. I'll be doing SNP north to just past PennMar as my first hike of 2018 next spring, hopefully early enough to beat the bubble. Can't wait to do the Roller Coaster(why do I have the feeling I shouldn't say that?)

Looking to do my 1st backpacking hike X-mas week by going from HF to Pen Mar (covering the Maryland portion of the AT). I plan to be flexible and do it in 3 days (2 nights) or 4 days (3 nights) depending on how I feel. I am transitioning from long distance running to hiking (injury reasons).
    One of the concerns I have is water availability in December. It seems there are a few frost free taps at state parks. Should I plan for only being able to get water at those locations?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jungleland1972 View Post
    Looking to do my 1st backpacking hike X-mas week by going from HF to Pen Mar (covering the Maryland portion of the AT). I plan to be flexible and do it in 3 days (2 nights) or 4 days (3 nights) depending on how I feel. I am transitioning from long distance running to hiking (injury reasons).
    One of the concerns I have is water availability in December. It seems there are a few frost free taps at state parks. Should I plan for only being able to get water at those locations?
    Based on a quick review of the thread, there are several good water sources, and a few that can run dry. I wouldn't be concerned about water myself. I assume you have a guidebook...?

Thanks illabelle. I ordered the guidebook a few days ago and am waiting for it to arrive and I wasn't sure if it would include the reliability of the water sources.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jungleland1972 View Post
    Thanks illabelle. I ordered the guidebook a few days ago and am waiting for it to arrive and I wasn't sure if it would include the reliability of the water sources.
    Yes, it does. Assuming it's the AT Guide you've ordered, water sources are shown by a water drop symbol, filled in for reliable sources, and not filled in for unreliable sources. In areas with abundant water, the guide does not list them all.

When we did Maryland, it was March and pretty cold. I remember snow flurries when we got dropped off, and a low of 17° one night. But we had no problem getting water. I don't remember using the frost free taps, except maybe at Gathland. It's been a few years ago.

Maryland is a good state to get started backpacking. The terrain is relatively tame, and it has some nice shelters. Best of luck to you!

Thanks you. I really appreciate the people on this message board for all of the insight it has provided.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++