WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Doing the entire MD section SB next week ... looks like some of the water sources can get pretty low or stagnant.
    Can I get by with Aqua Mira or am I better off with a filter?

Am planning to stay at Cowall, Pine Knob, Crampton Gap shelters.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Doing the entire MD section SB next week ... looks like some of the water sources can get pretty low or stagnant.
    Can I get by with Aqua Mira or am I better off with a filter?

Am planning to stay at Cowall, Pine Knob, Crampton Gap shelters.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
    The way its raining today, its not LACK of water you have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    The way its raining today, its not LACK of water you have to worry about.
    Hah! I was totally thinking the same thing after I posted and it started pissing down rain here in DC!!!

Hello all,

I, too, am looking to hike the lower part of Md. next weekend, ending in Harpers Ferry on Sunday. Made a call to the ATC and was told that the trail (last three miles or so) coming into Harpers Ferry was "closed". I asked if they were stationing people out there and prohibiting anyone on, but they just said "we are discouraging the use of the trail through our national parks."

Anyone recently been through Harpers Ferry since the shutdown and if so, did you feel like you were trespassing???

Thanks

Read this on the AT Facebook page earlier today:

So impressed with what I witnessed at Harpers Ferry, WV over the weekend .. The townspeople rallied together to keep things going . They were on the streets passing out maps & welcoming guests & thanking each & every person for visiting Harpers Ferry despite the Shutdowns . The townspeople were taking shifts & directing visitors where to park or simply thanking hikers who continued their hikes through the town. Such a show of cohesion in the community & to all who had traveled to visit ...The conservancy was bombarded with questions & ph calls about people having to reroute section hikes etc & they were doing a spectacular job with smiling faces. Thank u People of Harpers Ferry, WV for creating a positive influence in the midst of government confusion !

Thanks for the reply...

The reason I called the ATC was just that, where to park my car, so I could get shuttled up the trail and hike into HF on Sunday. I had heard that I could park at the ATC, but the gentleman that I spoke to didn't make it sound like I could. I guess I will call one of the lodgings in town to inquire about parking there.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jetsgolfer View Post
    Thanks for the reply...

The reason I called the ATC was just that, where to park my car, so I could get shuttled up the trail and hike into HF on Sunday. I had heard that I could park at the ATC, but the gentleman that I spoke to didn't make it sound like I could. I guess I will call one of the lodgings in town to inquire about parking there.
    What did you come up with as far as the parking and shuttle situation? It appears that the hostiles close in October so I was wondering if the shuttles do to. I wanted to start in Harpers Ferry at the beginning of November and end in Pennmar, but I will need a ride back to Harpers. Any shuttles run that late?
    Midlife (Traveling Man)

Crampton Gap's spring is often dry, and was before this recent rain, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it still is even after the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Crampton Gap's spring is often dry, and was before this recent rain, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it still is even after the rain.
    Thanks! Can I assume that the water source at Gathland S.P. will still be accessible, though?

Staying at Rocky Run and Gathland this weekend. Anyone know if those springs are running? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Z Hiker View Post
    Staying at Rocky Run and Gathland this weekend. Anyone know if those springs are running? Thanks!
    Oops, not Gathland, Ed Garvey and Rocky Run. Thanks.

Here's the update from my trip this past weekend (10/17-10/20):

Ensign Cowall - Spring running well, but it's a walled in spring and if you're not using a filter, you'll need to reach in pretty far back to dip out your water.

Pine Knob - Piped spring running well enough, but with a fair bit of sediment. Filter users will need some sort of receptacle to catch the water in before filtering, because the water runs directly back into the ground.

Crampton Gap - Spring was bone dry. You can get water at the restrooms across the street in Gathland State Park. Note that there is a trail that goes straight from the shelter to the parking lot. It's a little long, but saves you from having to go up and down that hill into the camping area.

Our hike went well October 11th-13th... Parked behind the ATC around 3:30 on Friday. Mark Cusic (very nice guy) shuttled us up to Washington Monument-hiked to Rocky Run Shelter. This spring was running but very little. Saturday hiked to Ed Garvey. This spring was running well, I just haven't seen any other comments on the distance and descent you have to cover to get to this spring (0.4 miles with a 380' descent and then back). Sunday hiked into HF to the car with no problems...

Any updates on the water. I'm thinking of doing the Md section over Veterans Day weekend.

Spring running at Cowall shelter, but you'll need something to dip with, if you're not using a filter.

Pine Knob slow, but steady, with some sediment. It's piped, so if you use a filter, you'll need something to catch water with first since there's no sort of pool for the water to accumulate in.

Bone dry at Crampton Gap. You can get water at Gathland SP. There's a trail from the shelter to the parking lot - saves you from walking up and down the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    Any updates on the water. I'm thinking of doing the Md section over Veterans Day weekend.
    Ill keep an eye out for you. Ill be doing a 13 mile out and back on Saturday/ Sunday.

Is water at the park north of US40 (can't recall the name) still available this time of year? how about Annapolis Rocks and Pogo campground? Thanks

I'm curious about that too. I had to postpone my trip till next week, wondering it these "frost free spigots" that the guide books and map keep metioning will even be on this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Is water at the park north of US40 (can't recall the name) still available this time of year? how about Annapolis Rocks and Pogo campground? Thanks
    North of 40 is Pine Knob Shelter, I haven't been there in a few months but it is usually running well. I was at Annapolis Rocks last week and the spring was running well. Haven't been to Pogo in a month but that one is super reliable, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    North of 40 is Pine Knob Shelter, I haven't been there in a few months but it is usually running well. I was at Annapolis Rocks last week and the spring was running well. Haven't been to Pogo in a month but that one is super reliable, in my experience.
    Thanks a lot MDsection12.

Lyte-w8-hyker- I will try to hit all the water sources on my way by this weekend and report back Monday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++