WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Excellent, someone gets it. The Pinhoti's a great trail in it's own right without renaming it, screwing with the AT or any other silly, useless gyrating.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Thats even worse Cuffs! Keep the trail at Mt.Springer, people can hike in Alabama during their free time away from the AT.
    I agree. We don't want to ruin the Pinhoti.

I have yet to see any good reason not to extend the A.T., at both ends. The only reasons I have seen are all some form of an appeal to tradition, a logical fallacy.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I have yet to see any good reason not to extend the A.T., at both ends. The only reasons I have seen are all some form of an appeal to tradition, a logical fallacy.
    The terminus markers are heavy. That's a good reason not to move them. Satisfied?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    I agree. We don't want to ruin the Pinhoti.
    That's like saying we don't want marriage to ruin homosexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    The terminus markers are heavy. That's a good reason not to move them. Satisfied?
    Then just dig a hole and bury them where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    That's like saying we don't want marriage to ruin homosexuality.
    It already has. Now gay people have obnoxious wedding announcements just like straight people. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/fa...l?ref=weddings

Images

Why extend the AT? What is the difference if the Florida Trail connects to the Pinhoti which connected to the AT? Should we remame the entire trail system? Just the part in "Appalachia". Who is going to define "Appalachia"? ARC? ATC? There are at least some geologists who maintain the "original" Appalachians extended into Mexico.

While I have no preference for whether it happens or not, IMHO, there is no logical burning reason to "extend" the AT. Is it any less of a hike to come up the Pinhoti, to the AT and then thru hike it? Is it any bigger accomplishment because the "whole trail" was renamed the AT?

My point is, it really doesn't matter what they call it, together or in parts. It's still going to be the same walk.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

Being from Alabama and knowing something about the old boys network (chambers of commerce), it wouldn't surprise me to find some of them own property near or adjacent to the Pinhoti. It's always about money and they, no doubt, feel the name Appalachian Trail would enhance property values and commercial opportunities.
    Personally, I see no reason the Pinhoti should be part of the AT. Connectivity is enough.

Images

The question should be why, not why not. That's the logical fallacy of irrelevant conclusion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Being from Alabama and knowing something about the old boys network (chambers of commerce), it wouldn't surprise me to find some of them own property near or adjacent to the Pinhoti. It's always about money and they, no doubt, feel the name Appalachian Trail would enhance property values and commercial opportunities.
    Personally, I see no reason the Pinhoti should be part of the AT. Connectivity is enough.
    Ask not what the AT can do for you, ask what you can do for the AT.

Odd Thomas, you got the quote of the day! And Appalachian Tater, anything can be agrued as a "logical fallacy", heck, i"m sure there are folks who still think the earth is flat.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Thomas View Post
    The question should be why, not why not. That's the logical fallacy of irrelevant conclusion.
    No, you have to weigh the positives and negatives. There are plenty of positives, in fact, almost every reason for the A.T. to exist in the first place supports extending its range.

But people are always giving negatives and it seems to me they don't have any real issues against appropriately lengthening the A.T.

The only one I can think of off-hand is that it would increase the complexity of management of the trail at the highest levels but I'm sure the organizations and processes in place are capable of scaling up a little.

Well, that and that the issue of the terminus markers being heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Appalachian Tater, anything can be agrued as a "logical fallacy",
    No, that's simply not true.

heck, i"m sure there are folks who still think the earth is flat.
    No doubt. And they probably are against lengthening the A.T.

Images

No, you have to weigh the positives and negatives.
    That comes after the "why?" is answered. Untill then weighing the positives and negatives are premature.

Remember, you have to appeal this to a representative group, following procedures of Order. The "Why?" must be established first, otherwise they'd be weighing positives and negatives of every silly "change for the sake of change" idea someone comes up with. Triage isn't their job.
    http://www.robertsrules.com/

There are plenty of positives, in fact, almost every reason for the A.T. to exist in the first place supports extending its range.

But people are always giving negatives and it seems to me they don't have any real issues against appropriately lengthening the A.T.
    I've got nothing against them making every trail in the US the AT, but not having a reason not to, isn't a reason it should. Logical fallacy of irrelevant conclusion.

The only one I can think of off-hand is that it would increase the complexity of management of the trail at the highest levels but I'm sure the organizations and processes in place are capable of scaling up a little.
    Most of the actual labor would be on the volunteers and probably the existing people involved with the Pinhoti, and they would probably be inherited, so that washes out pretty much.

Images

No, that's simply not true.

No doubt. And they probably are against lengthening the A.T.
    If the earth is flat the trail might lead off the edge!

Appalachian Tater, yea, it is true, anyone can debate anything, thats why its called "logical fallacy" or maybe you just like using words like "logical fallacy" to try and prove a point? No Alabama trails for me, keep the AT at Springer, no reason to move it to Alabama other then to move it, hence, a logical fallacy.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Not that I'm necessarily against the idea, I'm completely ignorant of the Pinhoti trail, or weather or not annexation by the AT would benefit the AT.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Well, I have changed my mind because of Tater's infallible logic!

This has to be done! Now!

The only problem I see is that there is no organization trying to make it happen. But that's a minor problem. We can create one right here, right now.

Tater & Smith, you are now the leaders of the Extend the AT to Alabama and Somewhere Else To Be Determined (EATASETBD)! And I am the first member of this fine organization.

Tater & MS, I have every confidence you two can work well together, being big fans of logic and all that stuff. I'm positive y'all will get along famously. Really.

So, now that you're in charge, what will be your first action? Should we write comments to online articles in that hotbed of AT activity, a San Diego newspaper? Wait, I think that's already been covered. See? You're already way ahead! This is going to be SO EASY!

You're the boss, Boss. What's next?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

(EATASETBD)! Now you're talking.
    I knew it was only a matter of time before this talk of moving the end of the AT to Alabama got to you DWM. It must have been the thought of those additional 150 miles of the AT in Georgia.

OK, here goes my thoughts before I read about the formation of the EATASETBD.

Reasons so far not to extend:
    1. Concerns about ruining the Pinhoti. Not to worry. We've got connections in the Whitehouse. I mean, Pres. Bush himself. You know, of course, he spent a lot of time down there while not serving with the Alabama Air National Guard. Why he's practically a citizen.
    2. Terminus rocks are too heavy. I pretty sure the Hayheifer twins over in New Market, Al are still out of jail and looking for work. I figure it will take them two days to get those rocks to Alabama and maybe a week for us to find what flea market they're trying to sell them at. No problem.

3. ..... don't think there was a number 3 reason.

Seriously, I would love to see the Appalachian Trail completed to Southern end of the Appalachain Mountain Range in Alabama (I think that's close to Greenbow, Al ), but I don't think it will happen anytime soon either.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but I think it would take action at the Federal Level in the Dept of Interior to extend the "Appalachian National Scenic Trail" out of it's present corridor.

Just the same, if I were Dancing with Mice, I'd hire a couple of security guys to watch that rock. Did I mention I know a couple of guys?

BTW "Double D", the River to River Trail up there is getting a good bit of attention. Sounds nice. And you guys get all that beautiful snow... and some fine wailin' Blues.

I must confess I have hiked little more of the Pinhoti than MS. I just know the people, the place and the BBQ. All are great.

Y'all Come.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++