WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2010

I am in training (mind & physical). A lot has been learned this year, this is as much mind over matter as being in good physical shape. 2010 is on my mind. I will know for sure in the spring of 2009. You would think after 45 years together "sweetie" could do without me for 6 months?

Thumbs up How To Cope?

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxb3 View Post
    Currently 2 jobs @ 60-70 hrs/wk occupies most of my time until my NOBO in 2010. Its the only way i can pay off all of my debt and save up the extra few grand to go. When I get a little closer, maybe in another 6 months, I'll probably drop the part time job, as my finances will be pretty well straightened out by then. Then I'll have some time to get a few more weekender hikes in.
    I know what you mean. I'm in the same boat.

I keep checking this site as well as TJ site. They help keep me focused.

Also 2010'ers, this forum heading will be changing to "Class of 2010" in October instead of Hooking Up.

I was planning on 2010 then it seemed to fall through. Things are looking better though. May happen after all.
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bear View Post
    I am in training (mind & physical). A lot has been learned this year, this is as much mind over matter as being in good physical shape. 2010 is on my mind. I will know for sure in the spring of 2009. You would think after 45 years together "sweetie" could do without me for 6 months?
    Silver Bear just tell "Sweetie" that absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    See ya on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Manach View Post
    I was planning on 2010 then it seemed to fall through. Things are looking better though. May happen after all.
    I hope it does Manach. See ya out there!

Default 2010

Great to see all you folks planning to thru hike in 2010. I am evaluating my gear, and trying to decide what to change, what to keep the same. I've been waiting a long time to do this. From this point of view it seems like its a long ways away, but I know the time will go quickly. Looking forward to meeting you all out there on the AT.

I am planing on a March 2010 thru-hike

Trail Adopter/ Section Hiker/ Future Thru-Hiker Pathfinder's Avatar
    Images

I plan to start a Northbound thru-hike in early June of 2010. I'm cutting it close, but I think I can do it.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~ Winston Churchill

Red face 2010?

2010 is the projected year
    Will have to quit job so it all depends on $$$
    Will hike with a friend from CA
    Nana

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NANA View Post
    2010 is the projected year
    Will have to quit job so it all depends on $$$
    Will hike with a friend from CA
    Nana
    Join the club. I will be quiting my job too.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Me too. I'm aiming for a thru in 2010. In Jan. 09 I'm doing a thru on the FT. Hope to have a good time.

Default Me Too!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I'll be quitting my job also, but it's one that I won't mind quitting.

With a degree in Business Mgmt. and one in Culinary Arts I'll be looking for work along the trail or perhaps an area that needs some sort of service like a hostel or B&B catering to the hiker community.

If anyone knows an area that could use this sort of service let me know and I'll check it out when I go through the area in '010'.

I have Springer Fever (yes, in Sept) and 2010 is still a long way from now!! I did get on the AT this past weekend in Vermont. It was great, but now the fever is even hotter. I am burning up ... just kidding, but I am anxious for March 2010.

See you folks out there.
    You are never too old.

all of this "planning" is driving me crazy!! lol I just wanna get out there already and do it. But as they say good things come to those who wait. I hope I am one of those!

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I may be on this list. First big step is getting married in August, and make sure finances are where they need to be to be able to hike though.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedToad View Post
    all of this "planning" is driving me crazy!! lol I just wanna get out there already and do it. But as they say good things come to those who wait. I hope I am one of those!
    I set my date six years ago. I know the feeling. Right now it is only 15 months away. Now that sounds scary saying "only 15 months away". Now that I am only 15 months away I am getting nervous a little. The nervousness is not about the hike but quiting my job and not having one to come back to at my age.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    I have Springer Fever (yes, in Sept) and 2010 is still a long way from now!! I did get on the AT this past weekend in Vermont. It was great, but now the fever is even hotter. I am burning up ... just kidding, but I am anxious for March 2010.
    Planning, what planning? Just have the gear you want to hike with and try it out a few times and make sure it is what you really want and need and just go.

Seriously I think the biggest planning issue that I will have to deal with is my mail drops and where to send them but I do not see that as to much of a big deal. I will have someone at home running my base camp for me doing all that when I call and tell them to send it.

What I have found myself doing for the last couple of weeks is looking through my copy of the Appalachian Pages guide book and trying to fingure out what mileages I think I will do each day and where I will be staying each night for the first week. I have not gone beyound the first week and a half though because I know that will be useless because my pace will change and I should start hiking some more miles.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I set my date six years ago. I know the feeling. Right now it is only 15 months away. Now that sounds scary saying "only 15 months away". Now that I am only 15 months away I am getting nervous a little. The nervousness is not about the hike but quiting my job and not having one to come back to at my age.

Planning, what planning? Just have the gear you want to hike with and try it out a few times and make sure it is what you really want and need and just go.

Seriously I think the biggest planning issue that I will have to deal with is my mail drops and where to send them but I do not see that as to much of a big deal. I will have someone at home running my base camp for me doing all that when I call and tell them to send it.

What I have found myself doing for the last couple of weeks is looking through my copy of the Appalachian Pages guide book and trying to fingure out what mileages I think I will do each day and where I will be staying each night for the first week. I have not gone beyound the first week and a half though because I know that will be useless because my pace will change and I should start hiking some more miles.
    Yeah, I woke up this morning and the 1st thing I said was, WOW just 15 months now! lol Kinda had a lil funny feeling then and now that I have had a lil time to think about it that feeling has gotten stronger. I would go crazy if I didn't have something to keep my mind off of it. lol As for me with the job thing.... I am vert lucky in that department. I work for myself so it isn't a big deal for me. My house and cars are paid for so there isn't a worry there either.

I was just going to bring my laptop along and work on the trail.....

haha yeah right!
    You might remember me from such nature films as "Earwigs: Ewwww" and "Man vs. Nature: The Road to Victory"

Default Decisions decisions

I'm debating between using my current backpack or getting a new one for 2010. I have a Kelty Coyote that has served me well over a lot of miles and has always been comfortable, but it is a tad heavy, nearly 6lbs. So I am debating getting a lighterweight pack or not. I am hesitating getting a new pack, what if I find it isn't comfortable, or just doesn't work. I heard if your a member of REI that you can return used gear no questions asked. Is this true? Does anyone know?

Images

Default 2010 is the plan

retiring July '09, section hike of NJ in July, Long Trail in Sept, and AT NOBO in March!!!

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++