WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    El Sordo
    Images

Talking Chunky Gal/Standing Indian in October

I realize that now that summer has descended with a vengeance it's hard to imagine balmy hiking weather, but it will happen. This is early and I'll probably give this thread a bump from time to time, but are any of you interested in hiking the Chunky Gal/AT/Kimsey Creek trails in October? I'm thinking either October 10-12 or the following weekend, 17-19. This would be an easy three day hike and not overly strenuous as an overnighter.

I've traded PMs with Ron Haven and he's as always willing to help out so here's my plan. The Chunky Gal trail is an interior trail and starts up by Tusquitee Bald on the Fires Creek Rim trail. Ron could drop us off at the Bob Allison campground which would shave off the westernmost three miles of the Chunky Gal trail and a brutal ascent/descent. Those interested could then hike the Chunky Gal and overnight somewhere short of hwy 64 the first day. Day two would be to the AT and then on to Deep Gap. From here your options would be either down Kimsey Creek, a pickup by Ron, or on around the Standing Indian loop. Either of the hiking options would end at the backcountry kiosk.

I didn't like the Bob Allison campground and wouldn't leave a car there which is why I contacted Ron about a drop off or shuttle.

Plenty of time to consider this and plan if it sounds like something you are interested in. Marta of course will blow through the entire section in one day so she can't go, but everyone else is invited.

I might be interested, OCT is prime shoal bass time though, we'll see how many I catch between now and then.

Images

What's the mileage, Gene?

I might could start on Saturday and try to catch you.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

El Sordo
    Images

We'd probably actually be starting on Saturday anyway. It's really an overnight hike unless you want to add some miles on the Standing Indian loop. About 18+ miles from Bob Allison to the AT, about 2 miles on the AT to Deep Gap, and then whatever the mileage is down Kimsey Creek to the Kiosk. If everyone wants to show up Saturday morning we could probably arrange with Ron to have him pick us up at the kiosk and then drop us at Bob Allison.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    We'd probably actually be starting on Saturday anyway. It's really an overnight hike unless you want to add some miles on the Standing Indian loop. About 18+ miles from Bob Allison to the AT, about 2 miles on the AT to Deep Gap, and then whatever the mileage is down Kimsey Creek to the Kiosk. If everyone wants to show up Saturday morning we could probably arrange with Ron to have him pick us up at the kiosk and then drop us at Bob Allison.
    Sounds like fun. Keep us posted.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

The time won't make a difference to me but what part of Oct are you planning for?

Images

Does sound interesting, and I haven't had a chance to hike the Chunky Gal yet. Should have enough leave built up by then, too.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Yeah, that's sounds like a lot of fun. I am trying to make up from Deep Gap to Winding Stair as I missed it when I went to Rons' for the Bash. How much of that portion were you thinking of covering Gene? Any of Albert Mountain or Standing Indian? Please let me know. It doesn't really matter terribly, I just wanted to get that portion under my belt.
    October sound like the weather will have cooled down a bit. Yeah, toss my hat in.

SD
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

El Sordo
    Images

Ron, we are talking about either October 11 or 18 for the pickup and drop off. Unless someone has other needs I'd think the best option would be for everyone to meet at the kiosk for a pickup around 9 am. We'll firm up dates as we get closer and see if one weekend works better then another.

Dave, I'll probably just hike out on the Kimsey Creek trail to the kiosk on Sunday. You could start with us and if you left your car at the same place you could complete the loop and still come out at your car.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Ron, we are talking about either October 11 or 18 for the pickup and drop off. Unless someone has other needs I'd think the best option would be for everyone to meet at the kiosk for a pickup around 9 am. We'll firm up dates as we get closer and see if one weekend works better then another.

Dave, I'll probably just hike out on the Kimsey Creek trail to the kiosk on Sunday. You could start with us and if you left your car at the same place you could complete the loop and still come out at your car.
    That's a good idea Gene. We'll see when I get there.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Images

Nice hike planned Gene, Im in!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

I've been wanting to hike the Chunky Gal Trail. I can't plan that far ahead, though, so I'll be a maybe until a bit closer to the day.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

El Sordo
    Images

Understand about planning. I work in a hospital and free weekends are like gold. People connive, blackmail, and threaten bodily harm in order to get the ones they want. If I don't plan way ahead then the weekend won't be there when I want it.

I'm going to give this a little bump every month just to remind folks and hopefully we can have a good group for this hike. Assuming we all park at the backcountry kiosk all we need to do is to coordinate our drop off from Ron and then everyone can do his or her own thing.

Images

Understand about planning. I work in a hospital and free weekends are like gold. People connive, blackmail, and threaten bodily harm in order to get the ones they want. If I don't plan way ahead then the weekend won't be there when I want it.

I'm going to give this a little bump every month just to remind folks and hopefully we can have a good group for this hike. Assuming we all park at the backcountry kiosk all we need to do is to coordinate our drop off from Ron and then everyone can do his or her own thing.
    The reason I ask.October is leaf lookers month in this area.I have some friends who could shuttle us and I would love to go along with a group of you too.

I have hiked the Chunky Gal from the A T to US64 but I have never hiked the part from US64 to the Fire Rim Trail.I couldn't be 100% sure I could go because usually the motels here are really in full swing about that time.

Possible I could work it in though or at least that part.Gene here is something else.If there is a big group who may want to participate I have the bus.

El Sordo
    Images

Understand about the bus and I know we'd all be delighted if you could come along. We'll have to wait a few months to get a head count, but if your folks can run the motel for a night without you it'd be great to have you. I'll even offer you first right of refusal on all the rubies I pick up along the trail.

I hiked Chunky Gal from Fires Creek Rim to hwy 64, so this will be a partial repeat as well as new ground. Since we'll be (presumably) starting at Bob Allison this will still leave out the section connecting with the rim trail, but that's only for masochists anyway.

With luck and good weather maybe we can fill up your bus.

Why not park at Cloud Nine and hike to Winding Stair? It's a great hike. I like staying with Fran and Laura (Crotch wont be there) and ending a hike staying with Ron coulden't be better.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    Why not park at Cloud Nine and hike to Winding Stair? It's a great hike. I like staying with Fran and Laura (Crotch wont be there) and ending a hike staying with Ron coulden't be better.
    Um. 'Cause it'd be nice to do something new?
    Skids

Images

Hey this sounds like a great one, Generoll! Gungho and I could more than likely join up!!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

What, something new. That's just not right.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

This sounds like it shaping up to be a good trip, too far away for me to commit right now. I'll check in later and let ya know, but I'm a maybe

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++