WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default WHERE'S CLYDE, and will he ever see a real moose and not a photo pinprick?

Well, he'll hate this at first, but as social as he is I expect he'll get into it over the long haul.

My 2002 Long Trail hiking partner Clyde Dodge is tackling the AT again, after sliding down a little mountain called Katahdin on his 2006 start, and walking 10 miles to Abol Bridge on a broken leg.

I wanted a place for friends to gather and give him a hard time about his hike. He's on this forum as "rcli4," is cranky as hell, STUBborn, funny, loyal, tells a good story and will be walking south (South? I mean, SOUTH? ) on June 4, after a kind shuttle from Teej of White Blaze.

Re: Maine in early June: They tell me what the black flies don't pick apart, the skeeters will. Luckily, Clyde can bathe his scarred hide in those icy-cold, chest-deep, snow-runoff, spring-melted fords in the 100-Mile Wilderness. For relief, you know.

I don't know whether Clyde will choose his trail name (He has been "MAF Man" and "Right Turn Clyde" on previous hikes), or whether he will let one find him (note to new name: stay upwind).

As I see it, Clyde's Achilles heel (in hiking terms only) is his homesickness. He dearly loves his family, and his two grand babies think he hung the moon. His daughter will be flying in to the Long Trail Festival to be sure the kids get some quality time with Grand Dad. (Note to Clyde: Shower) (Note to kids: stay upwind).

However, he assures me his wife Sandy informed him that he could not come home until he's walked to Springer. "She's tired of hearing me talk about it," he says.

In any case, if you see my Long Trail partner anywhere along the way, extend a hand (and stay upwind).

Happy Trails, Clyde! Have the best hike that ever was.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

MAFM headed SOBO. I'll keep an eye out for you when you get to Vermont and Massachusetts. Have a great hike, but I don't know how you'll get along without LiteShoe to look after you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Have a great hike, but I don't know how you'll get along without LiteShoe to look after you.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

Hey Clyde,

Have a great "trip", see you in the "fall". Sorry about that, I couldn't help myself. I'll get my coat now. Try the veal.

Seriously, have a great hike!

Default WHERE'S CLYDE, and will he ever see a real moose

Ah, Maine in the summer. Nice choice! The year after my thru I was living in Maine so I hiked north from Caratunk in June. It was hot and the bugs were real bad. The south bounders were passing me as I hiked north. They weren't having a good time. It was the early part of their hike and they hadn't gotten the rhythm yet...or the bugs ate it. Their packs were a mess. One young man actually had a blue Wal-Mart tarp dragging behind him. I stopped and re-packed his pack for him and explained that a well-packed pack will seem lighter with all the same stuff in it. Before I finished one another young man showed up and I repacked his pack for him. So, as they were about to hike on with their new, lighter packs feeling refreshed and optimistic one of them said that he had it made now and would be able to enjoy his hike. I told him, well maybe...but the whites are waiting for you. At least you're not old.
    Have a great hike Clyde.

Images

Superman - "at least you're not old" - who's old? I'll be 61 two weeks into my hike. I plan to be in Stratton by then. But I've got my Deet and a bug shirt (maybe overkill?). Anyway, I'll be well behind Clyde, so I wish him well. Thanks for sharing, Liteshoe.

Images

Where's the counter? I want to click the damn counter !

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Superman - "at least you're not old" - who's old? I'll be 61 two weeks into my hike. I plan to be in Stratton by then. But I've got my Deet and a bug shirt (maybe overkill?). Anyway, I'll be well behind Clyde, so I wish him well. Thanks for sharing, Liteshoe.
    Hey Red Hat,
    Et tu? You're going ...southbound?

Despite your misguided choice of direction, good luck to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    ..... At least you're not old.
    Have a great hike Clyde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I can't resist this: at what point does Clyde's Trail Name morph from MAF man to OF man? Surely not now - he's younger than I am!

Images

Smile clyde....

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Well, he'll hate this at first, but as social as he is I expect he'll get into it over the long haul.

My 2002 Long Trail hiking partner Clyde Dodge is tackling the AT again, after sliding down a little mountain called Katahdin on his 2006 start, and walking 10 miles to Abol Bridge on a broken leg.

I wanted a place for friends to gather and give him a hard time about his hike. He's on this forum as "rcli4," is cranky as hell, STUBborn, funny, loyal, tells a good story and will be walking south (South? I mean, SOUTH? ) on June 4, after a kind shuttle from Teej of White Blaze.

They tell me what the black flies don't pick apart, the skeeters will. Luckily, he can bathe his scarred hide in those icy-cold, snow-melted fords in the 100-Mile Wilderness. For relief, you know.

I don't know whether Clyde will choose his trail name (He has been "MAF Man" and "Right Turn Clyde" on previous hikes), or whether he will let one find him (note to new name: stay upwind).

As I see it, Clyde's Achilles heel (in hiking terms only) is his homesickness. He dearly loves his family, and his two grand babies think he hung the moon. His daughter will be flying in to the Long Trail Festival to be sure the kids get some quality time with Grand Dad. (Note to Clyde: Shower) (Note to kids: stay upwind).

However, he assures me his wife Sandy informed him that he could not come home until he's walked to Springer. "She's tired of hearing me talk about it," he says.

In any case, if you see my Long Trail partner anywhere along the way, extend a hand (and stay upwind).

When Clyde had to come off trail last year I felt bad for him...now he's back and I can't be happier!If any of his pals would like to leave him a message in his resupply, post it to: [email protected] Please put Clyde in the subject header. I'll print/download and leave in his resupply box. Words of incouragement would be nice! Last day posts will be accepted for print out is 6/7 as I have to put into his resupply for delivery 7/8.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Default Woops!

delivery date on the posts is 6/8....
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    When Clyde had to come off trail last year I felt bad for him...now he's back and I can't be happier!If any of his pals would like to leave him a message in his resupply, post it to: [email protected] Please put Clyde in the subject header. I'll print/download and leave in his resupply box. Words of incouragement would be nice! Last day posts will be accepted for print out is 6/7 as I have to put into his resupply for delivery 7/8.
    Hey, that's a fun thing to offer.
    Thanks for putting it out there.
    I'm sure these ... creative ... minds will conjure something ... witty and inspiring.

"Without them we perish." eArThworm's Avatar
    Images

Default Whatever does she mean??

...They tell me what the black flies don't pick apart, the skeeters will. ... (note to new name: stay upwind)... (Note to kids: stay upwind)... (and stay upwind).
    So, if the bugs don't know enough to stay upwind, does that mean he's safe? Is that what she's saying??
    You GO, Clyde! (And I guess you're supposed to stay upwind.)

Images

Re: Maine in early June: They tell me what the black flies don't pick apart, the skeeters will. Luckily, Clyde can bathe his scarred hide in those icy-cold, chest-deep, snow-runoff, spring-melted fords in the 100-Mile Wilderness. For relief, you know.

i was to leave with clyde, but changed plans till late june. seen it was a good move
    just kidding clyde

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i was to leave with clyde, but changed plans till late june. seen it was a good move
    just kidding clyde
    Hmmm,

Sound to me like you two would have gotten along just FINE...

If it will make him feel better, I saw this moose today in SE NH.
    Attachment 4169(click image to see larger image)

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    If it will make him feel better, I saw this moose today in SE NH.
    Attachment 4169(click image to see larger image)
    Okay, you I believe.
    Your moose is bigger than a baby mouse.

Default WHERE'S CLYDE, and will he ever see a real moose and not a photo pinprick?

Where would Clyde be now?

My guess would be "in his pickup truck driving around Jacksonville FL doing last-minute chores."
    How'd I do?
    MAF Man - you out there?

My guess would be "in his pickup truck driving around Jacksonville FL doing last-minute chores."
    One chore is probably trying to explain 'month long spa stay'
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++