WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    There were more church hostels around when I thru'd than there are today, and I was never, not once, prosetylized when I was a guest at a church hostel.
    That was my experience also. The closest I came to being proselytized was at Blackburn Center last summer. Redwing and Hopeful are sweet folks... and very Christian...

Just to add -- the reason you have to leave during the day is because the Hostel is actually IN the church, not in another building. They have volunteer hosts on site the whole time, including overnight, and this way they don't have to try to find someone to be there all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Wow, lighten up, folks.

There's no "hidden agenda" in Waynesboro. These are really wonderful folks, doing wonderful things for hikers, and they have no ulterior motives whatsoever.

And yeah, there are check in/out times and other rules and regulations at this hostel, as well there should be. So what?

Why this would trouble anyone amazes me.

Folks who are bothered by rules and regulations at hostels, especially church ones, probably shouldn't stay there.
    Come on Jack. I'm not "blasting" church hostels. I even said the Pearisburg hostel was great. From what I've read I'm sure the Waynesboro hostel is great too. I was simply asking if there was a hidden agenda. last year i was with 12 other hikers who were lured by "trail magic" provided by an otherwise very nice couple. We were fed a wonderful meal and the offer was made for us to stay the night. We were told we would be provided with breakfast and lunch as long as we all attended service at their church. It was Easter so I figured what the heck it would make mom happy. Well we did have a great breakfast then went to church were we ushered downstairs for a 1 hour preservice by a person who gave me the impression of a used car salesman. Then we were all led upstairs for a service that "blasted" the Jews. I'm not a religious person but i feel any religion should preach tolerance, acceptance and forgivness. Not self richousness and hate. Anyway afterwards we did go out for lunch (which we had to pay for) No biggie but everyones understanding the previous day was that it was their treat. Then before continuing my hike I had a conversation with the husband who was of the adamant belief that the earth was only 7000 years old and dinosaur fossils were put here by god to create doubt in nonbelievers. All in all it wasn't a horrible experience. In fact I found it to be quite humorous. It just illustrates my point that some trail magic does come with strings attached

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Come on Jack. I'm not "blasting" church hostels. I even said the Pearisburg hostel was great. From what I've read I'm sure the Waynesboro hostel is great too. I was simply asking if there was a hidden agenda. last year i was with 12 other hikers who were lured by "trail magic" provided by an otherwise very nice couple. We were fed a wonderful meal and the offer was made for us to stay the night. We were told we would be provided with breakfast and lunch as long as we all attended service at their church. It was Easter so I figured what the heck it would make mom happy. Well we did have a great breakfast then went to church were we ushered downstairs for a 1 hour preservice by a person who gave me the impression of a used car salesman. Then we were all led upstairs for a service that "blasted" the Jews. I'm not a religious person but i feel any religion should preach tolerance, acceptance and forgivness. Not self richousness and hate. Anyway afterwards we did go out for lunch (which we had to pay for) No biggie but everyones understanding the previous day was that it was their treat. Then before continuing my hike I had a conversation with the husband who was of the adamant belief that the earth was only 7000 years old and dinosaur fossils were put here by god to create doubt in nonbelievers. All in all it wasn't a horrible experience. In fact I found it to be quite humorous. It just illustrates my point that some trail magic does come with strings attached
    In my opinion, if someone extends the hospitality of letting me in their home and feeding me, they can talk at me about their beliefs if they want to. I can either take it or leave it. Back in NC, Hercules and Fawn (?) took us in and fed us, then broke out the christian literature. I listened and then hiked out.
    Currently, I am at the Grace Church hostel in Waynesboro and not a single person has approached me about any beliefs what so ever. They just love having hikers here. Its an amazing place.
    I do think that a very select few people that do magic have the intention of doing what they believe to be the work they are chosen to do. I dont think there is a "hidden agenda" even though some people do try and force it upon you while you hike. Its your choice if you want to listen to it or not

Um, simple answer, Rockhound:

Calm yourself. There is no "hidden agenda" at the Waynesboro Hostel, period.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    I for one am capable of learning useful information from talking to other people.
    Yes and you are also quite capable of learning crap as you've proven over and over.

i was VERY pleased with the hospitality and kindness that i recieved there! very nice people.. if your there now, look for my picture!! i was the FIRST one of the season, how cool is that!!

Journal Entries
    Images

What??!?!?? There are no rules in MOtels??!?!? You walk into a church, what do you expect?? Man get a life!!!!? Complaining about the church folk perhaps talking to you about the love of God and you complain when there is no charge to stay there and you walked in on your on accord? Man, go stay at the motel or somewhere else.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Sunny:

You sound like an uncommonly sensible person.

Someone who doesn't want to hear the name of God invoked would probably do well to stay out of churches, but this might be a concept too difficult for some folks to grasp.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wink

Sunny:

You sound like an uncommonly sensible person.

Someone who doesn't want to hear the name of God invoked would probably do well to stay out of churches, but this might be a concept too difficult for some folks to grasp.
    Uncommonly sensible? That's the name of my blog...but you knew that.

are there check in/check out times? other rules and regs that have to be followed? an alterior motive? whenever i hear the words church and hostel in the same sentence im a little leary.
    Well, it's your choice to stay there or not. I've stayed at "church" hostels on several occasions and never been proselytized -- and I'm as atheist as one can be. Had anyone said so much as a peep to me about Jesus, I'd have been packed and gone in a flash.

Most of these places have strict rules about drinking and smoking... no surprise there. Watch out for the caretaker at The Place, he's got a mean streak.

Yeah, imagine that....someone mentioning the name of Jesus Christ in a church.

Can anyone imagine anything so terrible?

Truly, Terrapin World is a bizarre place.

I sleep (on rare occasions) in hostels, not churches. If the purpose of the hostel is to proselytize, I wouldn't stay there. But that has not been the case, in my experience.

There is not one church hostel on the Trail whose purpose is to proselytize, so I don't really know what you're talking about. The "problem" you seem so afraid of doesn't exist.

I had a conversation with the husband who was of the adamant belief that the earth was only 7000 years old and dinosaur fossils were put here by god to create doubt in nonbelievers.
    Ha ha ha... too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post

Most of these places have strict rules about drinking and smoking... no surprise there. Watch out for the caretaker at The Place, he's got a mean streak.
    if hikers weren't such ******** all the time and follow the rules maybe we'd be a little nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if hikers weren't such ******** all the time and follow the rules maybe we'd be a little nicer
    Well, TOW sure put the fear o' g*d into slo-go-'en. From what I've seen of slo-go-'en's posts since that dust-up, he seems like a nice enough guy. Just picked a bad time and place to flaunt the rules, is all. Sch!tt happened, end of story.

He just picked a bad time to flaunt the rules?

So tell us Terrapin, imagine you're a guest, staying for free in a church or a place run by a church.

On the wall is a short list of the two or three things they'd rather you didn't do while you were there.

That being said, Terrapin, and assuming you had just read the sign, tell us:

When would be a GOOD time to flaunt their rules?

When would be a GOOD time to flaunt their rules?
    When TOW ain't lookin.'

Well, Terrapin, you may not wish to believe it.......but when you're in a church, believe me.....SOMEONE is looking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++