WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default recomend short gators

can anyone recomend gators for a non deep snow hiker. campmore has a small selection. i want gators to keep out bugs and trail stuff. i think a short pair would work for me. most likely i would be shopping at campmore or rei. maybe ems.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cabalot
    can anyone recomend gators for a non deep snow hiker. campmore has a small selection. i want gators to keep out bugs and trail stuff. i think a short pair would work for me. most likely i would be shopping at campmore or rei. maybe ems.

I live near Campmor and also shop there. They carry Outdoor Research Rocky Mtn Low gaitors. They are the also sometimes referred to as OR shorties. I have a pair and love them. Here is a link:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commer...rfnbr=24905727
    without love in the dream it will never come true...

I've used the OR Rocky Mtn. shorties for several years - I like them a lot.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Would you be interested in a pair of gaitors made from silnylon for half the price?

Quote Originally Posted by papa john
    Would you be interested in a pair of gaitors made from silnylon for half the price?
    I think I would want something that breathed a little better.

http://home.att.net/~joetrailman/index.html

I love my OR Short Gaiters (REI return sale $4.83) with my boots, but just don't work with my trailrunners (keeping riding up, so defeating purpose) so I switched to these and I am WELL pleased.

Images

want something that breathed a little better
    Then you won't like those OR gaiters. I have some of the tall ones and they do not breath at all. I can remember taking them off after hiking in freezing weather and finding all kinds of sweat on my legs!

Default Silnylon gaitors

PJ - Tell me more about these. I have the OR's but would go for something lighter. You make em?
    Peep

Default OR Stretch gators

OR makes a pair of stretch gators (lycra) that we both own. We really like them better than the coated nylon.

Gravity Man

Images

I can make them to your specs. I would need to know what kind of shoes you wear, the size of your foot and ankle, whether you want drawstring or elastic, etc.

I can make them to your specs. I would need to know what kind of shoes you wear, the size of your foot and ankle, whether you want drawstring or elastic, etc.
    I'm interested, but what if I want to switch footwear styles (like from trail shoe to boot) later on? Will they still fit? Do you have a link or a estimated price for your gaiters?
    Focus Determines Reality

Images

No, I sure don't.

As far as changing footwear, these will be made such that you put them on first and then your shoe/boot. They will essentially be a straight tube with elastic at the tops and bottom. You could also have an optional grommet on each side for a loop under the shoe if you wanted one but I don't think they are needed.

Another option would be to have them so that they wrap around your shoe and above the shoe with drawstrings at the top and bottom. There would be velcro at the back to seal up that area. These would be more versatile.

I don't make these for the money, mostly to get some experience making other types of items besides tarps and stuff sacks. So, the cost would run around 10 to 12 dollars shipped.

John

Images

Default breathe

is there a good brand of short gators that breathe well?
    thanks everyone.

Papa John seems to have the answer...go with it...in my orginal post I stated low gaiters. I should have stated mini-gaiters I would never go that heavy; plus the heaviness of those gaiters (plus ride up) don't work with trailrunners, but are perfect with boots!

Images

I am going to make up a set of prototype gaitors for trail runners and see how they do. I have some ripstop here that is not coated that would be extremely light. It won't shed much water but will keep the sticks, stones and dirt out. My feet stay wet from sweat anyway even in the winter time. As soon as I get them done, I will post a picture.

I'd like to recommend Mountain Hardware Nut Shell Gaiters. I have a pair of these and to me they are pretty breathable, comfortable, and highly water resistant. I've used them to ford water up to and above the tops and as long as I walk quickly and I'm not walking for an extended period of time through the water (more than a few mins) I stay dry. Haven't really tried them out to their full potential with trail runners, but with boots they are great. They have this nice little hook in the front too that hooks them onto your shoe lace, and keeps them in place. I was confused by it a little at first, but it helps to really make a seal around your shoe. Got mine on sale...
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep/ but I have promises to keep/ and miles to go before I sleep. ~R. Frost

Default Scree Gaitors

I recently saw some North Face Scree Gaitors in a magazine. They looked great. Has anyone tried these instead of the traditional OR stuff.

++ New Posts ++