WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Some General Questions.....

I'm looking at doing the Smokies section of the BMT and I had a few general questions:

First, is this section of the trail well marked? It appears on the map that it intersects alot of other trails which makes trail markings even that more important. If the trail isn't well marked it would appear to me that you could easily get sidetracked.

Second, is there water at the campsites? Again reviewing the map it would appear that most of the campsites are near water sources. Is that the case and how reliable are they.... if anyone has any information on which campsites acessible and fairly reliable water sources and could post them that would be great.

Third, what are some good times of year to do this section. Obviously the summer is generally a good time but does anyone do this section in the Fall or does weather become a challenge?

Fourth, is the issue of resupply. It would seem to me that one could probably do this 96 mile section with one re-supply. Any suggestions on what points would be good for this.

Lastly, has there been any recent bear activity on this trail?

El Sordo
    Images

I've hiked this piece and you will find other trip reports as well. The BMT through the Smokies is a clearly defined trail and at each trail junction there is a BMT marker. Every campsite I used had water, although if you are going in summer you might want to consider avoiding Newton Bald and Mt. Sterling. I don't know that they are dry, but if any place is I'd bet they were. Personally I only backpack in the Fall and Spring. Summer's out for me. You could put a cache in a car at Smokemont or at Bryson City on the road to the tunnel outside of town. There are parking places and trash dumps at both. There are also trash cans on the road from Round Bottom horse camp, so if you count that there are three road crossings in the Smokies.

As far as bear? Call the backcountry office and ask them about specific campsites. All campsites have bear cables.

Images

The spring at Newton Bald is fairly reliable. I've never known of the spring at Sterling going dry. I stayed there last August when almost the entire park was dry and it was flowing at a good rate.

Sob, I can't do the Smokies or the BMT there cuz the big-hatted Tent Police have a thing against dogs. My dream is to follow the route north from Slickrock and get in at Twentymile and use the nonreservation campsites. Can't just ditch the dog, though.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Thanks alot for the feedback... I find the idea of hiking this piece in the fall intriguing and I'm sure with the fall colors it would be a beautiful hike. What's the weather like in the fall?.... I went backpacking around Carver's Gap in Piscah this past November and there was maybe 1" of snow on the ground in the higher elevations. It was cooler but nothing that I didn't have gear for..... Have you come across any specific trip reports that you found helpful?

Images

First, is this section of the trail well marked? - yes
    It appears on the map that it intersects alot of other trails which makes trail markings even that more important. If the trail isn't well marked it would appear to me that you could easily get sidetracked. - carry a map

Second, is there water at the campsites? - yes
    Again reviewing the map it would appear that most of the campsites are near water sources. Is that the case and how reliable are they.... if anyone has any information on which campsites accessible and fairly reliable water sources and could post them that would be great.

Third, what are some good times of year to do this section. Obviously the summer is generally a good time but does anyone do this section in the Fall or does weather become a challenge? - any time for a hike is a good time. Fall is better. Summer heat & winter cold may present challenges

Fourth, is the issue of resupply. It would seem to me that one could probably do this 96 mile section with one re-supply. Any suggestions on what points would be good for this. - see Generoll's comments

Lastly, has there been any recent bear activity on this trail? - only hogs, wild turkey, & mice getting into my food bag on my last trip Memorial Day weekend

I think site 47 was real nice, reservations required
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

El Sordo
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christus Cowboy View Post
    Have you come across any specific trip reports that you found helpful?
    http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7588

Try this for the section from Twenty Mile to Smokemont. I posted a report for my hike from Smokemont to Davenport Gap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++