WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yea, you are right. Probably good SOP, in any event.

Even if all indications point to one individual, no doubt best to play it safe until the situations is really understood to everyone's satisfaction, anyway.

Did the link make it sound like the suspect was in the hospital too?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Yep. He's on a respirator.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Yea, you are right. Probably good SOP, in any event.

Even if all indications point to one individual, no doubt best to play it safe until the situations is really understood to everyone's satisfaction, anyway.

Yes, the link on Post #1 says he's at Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Couln't that cop kind of just wait a little bit before calling it in?
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    another good reason to carry concealed. this guy should never have gotten out of prison. gotta take the law into your own hands these days
    Correct, at the end of the day....I'm the one going home to my family. Times are different.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    Yes, the link on Post #1 says he's at Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Couln't that cop kind of just wait a little bit before calling it in?
    Thanks, the hyperlink in the article byline wasn't working, but the I now see "more" hyperlink works fine.

Images

They always work like that for some reason.

Stupid RSS...
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Not to worry all. Just keep repeating: The trail is safer than anyplace else, the trail is safer than anyplace else, the trail is safer than anyplace else... and pass the Sheepleberry Kool-Aid.

The trail is no more or less safe from the standpoint of crime than the areas it runs through. There is theft, assault, battery, rape, murder and everything else just like the rest of society. It isn't a remote wilderness devoid of crime.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Does anyone know if he ever walks on the trail? I saw a guy dressed in sweats at Angel's Rest the last of March that "at least resembled him" and didn't "look like a hiker". I moved on pretty quickly.

Not related, but this was the same weekend the guy shot the police officer in Pearisburg.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Not to worry all. Just keep repeating: The trail is safer than anyplace else, the trail is safer than anyplace else, the trail is safer than anyplace else... and pass the Sheepleberry Kool-Aid.

The trail is no more or less safe from the standpoint of crime than the areas it runs through. There is theft, assault, battery, rape, murder and everything else just like the rest of society. It isn't a remote wilderness devoid of crime.
    becoming more and more commonplace too. obviously the blood mtn. incident isn't sinking in

Bob Mountford was a State of Maine Child Protective Caseworker, in the Ellsworth Office of Hancock County. He worked for the Dept. of Human Services and handled cases where children were being physically or/and sexually abused. What was that worth? You can't put a value to it; it is just too important! Fourteen-years? What a travesty of justice!

As far as I'm concerned Smith needs to be removed from this Earth.
    Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience. George Washington

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    becoming more and more commonplace too. obviously the blood mtn. incident isn't sinking in
    None of the dozen or so murder incidents before sunk in either. Why would we think this one or the next be any different? I guess maybe bad things only happen to other people. And after they're dead they're just statistics. It could never happen to me. Right?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

I was absolutely enraged hearing this. The system let this killer out again, like a previous post indicated, HTF do those people who staked a claim to getting his release into parole and subsequently freedom feel now. What a bunch of BS!
    I understand part of it being he didnt even receive the sentence he should of had in the eariler murders, its just really sad the way that the legal system anymore works more for the criminal than the public.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

I recall sitting on the deck at the hostel in Pearisburg, discussing violent crime along the AT with other hikers in '06. And the revelation to all that this guy, Smith, had been released and was still living in the area. I don't recall anyone expressing fear regarding his being out, more bewilderment at the gross imbalance of "justice" in the judicial system.

The sad truth is that this tragic type of situation is not unique... No matter how badly we want it to forever be pristine, the AT is as vulnerable to human failings as anywhere else on the planet.

I'm wondering if there are additional unsolved missing persons cases in the area/region...?
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

the reality is, when it is time to go, it is time to go.

There will be situations where being armed will save your life.

There will be situations where being armed will do nothing.

I promise this, I feel no less safe walking in the woods than I do walking the streets of Philadelphia.

peace
    mf

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

5pm news just said the AT was reopened today.

Fr.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    which is only applicable to protecting yourself.or are you allowed to pre-empt a crime, like a vigilante? lone wolf, bears don't even f with you, no ex-con nut job is going to target you either. well, maybe if he was really crazy...
    Self-Defense, which is an absolute defense to charges of murder, assault, etc., applies not only to protecting one's self, but to any member of the human community.

Self defense is not considered pre-emptive per se, but reactive to something that has already occured:

say A points a gun @B, C can now shoot A in self defense.....
    Be Prepared

I'm putting a heads up here in this thread pertaining to the AT News articles filtering in which concern the recent shooting in VA. Most of these articles are obvious duplicates or nearly the same information. If the titles aren't duplicates but the thread relates to the shooting, those threads will be locked. This thread will continue to be available as long as no difficulties arise. It's just a housekeeping effort.

If anyone feels that one of the locked threads is sufficently different to warrant reopening, PM me and include an admin on the PM for fast attention. Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

That was the Wapiti Shelter that was...right? It was rebuilt at a different location (but in the same area)
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Quote Originally Posted by HIKER7s View Post
    That was the Wapiti Shelter that was...right? It was rebuilt at a different location (but in the same area)
    There was the old Wapiti shelter, near the Ribble Trail, which was torn down several years after they built the new Wapiti (II) shelter a few miles north of the old shelter site.
    The 1981 murders happened in the new shelter.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    How many does that make for this year? This just makes me sick... My question is if this guy was arrested before how did he get a gun to begin with?
    There are violent crimes in the British Isles perpetrated with handguns. No one can own a handgun there legally. Just what sort of Orwellian existence do you think might be required to elminate handgun crime? Passing a law against mosquitos would be about as successful. We can't keep fruit pickers and drug smugglers out of the US, how would we stop handgun smugglers if they were made illegal?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++