WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

I enjoy camping and hiking so I should be on here more now.

Hello Fellow Hikers!

I am from Newnan GA area and have been lurking about on the forum for a while.
    It occurred to me that I should pull the trigger and request to join the forum and glean even more knowledge from recent thru and/or section hikers about several aspects of the sport.

In 1998, I completed a thru hike of the AT and due to something called life; I didn’t touch the Treadway for another 20+ years.

My support team/sweetheart/friend/wife says I have been spending an inordinate amount of surfing on You Tube etc. to learn about all the changes in gear and permits and guidelines, etc. She’s been saying I suffer from OCD for 35 years.
    Despite this observation, when I did my thru, my base weight was 30 pounds and load out close to 45. Yikes – that was considered a lightweight backer then – but I must have been a hulk. Finished in Baxter with base of 20 pounds, but still ridiculous…

Recently, the bug bit me again and I’m ready to resume!
    HOWEVER, about four weeks ago, I weighed 223 pounds (neckid), and was way out of shape. So, I joined WW and have dropped 8 pounds. I need to hit the walking circuit and regain some serious mobility and in short order, I can “do the trail” again…..

It’s time to reclaim my trail moniker – VIKING – and a lot more.

Journal Entries

Completing a thru-hike has been a dormant seed deep in my conscious since I was a teenager in the 1970s. Joining WhiteBlaze is one virtual step in making that dream a reality and as a resource for planning a thru-hike sometime in the future. At this point, I don't know when that will happen. The earliest it seems likely at this point is 2027. A very long time in the future indeed. Should give me plenty of time to prepare physically and plan logistically. Please, visit my blog if you are curious about my journey into the future.
    Quiet Man; planning and preparing a thru-hike as part of the Class of 20xx. Quiet Man's Appalachian Trail Journey

Thanks for adding me, I am new to the Hiking community. I'm almost 50 and I still cant wait to be outdoor daily.

Hi - new here from Florida. I usually do a week long AT trip each year, plus a few shorter trips in FL throughout the year. I'll be starting at Dick's Creek and hoping to make it up to Fontana at the end of the month.

Images

Hi, I'm new here. Just begin to make logn AT trips. Here to chat, relax and get some answers

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I look forward to learning and participating in the forum.

Hi, I've been following Whiteblaze since Inchworm went missing. I always felt like a lot of people here really showed a real level of sincerity in trying to figure out where she was and what happened. Some really good people here from what I have seen. Transplanted to Florida from Atlanta a few years ago. What I have learned is here, winter is not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    Hi, I've been following Whiteblaze since Inchworm went missing. I always felt like a lot of people here really showed a real level of sincerity in trying to figure out where she was and what happened. Some really good people here from what I have seen. Transplanted to Florida from Atlanta a few years ago. What I have learned is here, winter is not coming.
    Hi SlowDive, you should check out Underdog on the Appalachian trail on Youtube. He and Magic Mike are from Florida and there is a third gentleman named Tractor traveling NOBO. They are almost at the half way point. They are fun, funny and down to earth. You might enjoy their journey. Happy trails! ATStrong

Hi, all, and thanks for having me.
    My long distance trekking days are likely behind me. But I have just moved to a home that is 20 miles from the Pigeon River / I-40 AT crossing; 15 miles from Max Patch; and 25 miles from Hot Springs, NC. And I have interest in doing shuttle drives, since I can't really afford to retire.
    If anyone has good advice and wouldn't mind another shuttler in the area, that would be great. I'm not planning to jump into it too quickly, and it looks like I have a freebie this coming weekend for some friends. Just hope to get a feel for the experience.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi, there! My name is Jason and I`m from northern Germany. I`ve been thinking about doing a sabbatical for a while, but have no confirmed date, yet. At first I wanted to volunteer at an animal rescue somewhere, but then I came across a trip report of a guy, who thru-hiked the A.T. And I got hooked on that idea! So I hope, I can get some more informations on here, and make new friends!

Thanks for letting me join!

Images

Well, not to say I've been missed all that much, but The Weasel is back. FWIW.

Old wease lbones are gonna start sectioning out of Troutdale NOBO over Labor Day. Mrs. The Weasel will be accompanying this pathetic old body.

The Weasel
    GAVA 2000
    VAME In This Century
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Welcome back, Weasel. Your perspective is always interesting.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Welcome back, Weasel. Your perspective is always interesting.
    I'm an acquired taste.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Whats Up Dudes

My name is Matt, I'm from North Georgia! I've lived here in the area for about 5 years now. Initially when i moved up here from south Florida i didn't know anything about the Appalachian Trail. I quickly discovered the beauty that this area i live in has to offer and started hiking on local trails. After some research i discovered the AT and found that i live pretty close to the southern terminal. When i search for information about future section hikes, or anything AT related i always see this website coming up. I joined to expand my knowledge and talk to some cool people!

I've spent a couple nights on the AT throughout the last 2 years in my free time, and so far I've gotten from Springer Mountain to Neel's Gap jut over Blood Mountain around the 31 mile marker. One day id like to start from springer again and become a thru hiker, but for now I'm just doing sections. I've also done a little backpacking on the BMT, and Cumberland Island in south Georgia.

I work at the NOC Outfitters Store in the Nantahala Gorge, and this time of year a lot of SOBO hikers are coming through. I'm pretty stoked for spring to meet the 2020 NOBO thru hikers coming through the NOC heading towards the Great Smoky Mountain National Park!

Journal Entries

Hey folks, I'm Steve, living in north GA, itching to section hike the AT (and others if I live long enough). Used to love trail running, but it's been about 10 years, and I'm coming back slower than I hoped to.
    --
    Steve Hilliard
    steveghilliard.com
    Putting one foot in front of the other...

Hey y'all, I'm Dan. I am going to hike on AT from GA to Maine in a few years. Hope to get plenty of resources on here about gears. Cheers.

Hey guys. Just joined recently & hoping to one day thru-hike the AT. Hiked a small section of it a few years ago whilst on a solo-trip of the east coast, & fell deeply in love with hiking ever since. I hike as much as I can back home (in the UK), but my dream is to get back out to the states. Ive got 4 children & a job that doesn't allow a sabbatical period, so it's gonna be a struggle to take the months needed but... Im hoping by joining this forum that I can keep that dream alive 😁

Greetings!

I'm a 31 french guy living in Brussels, Belgium, and I intend to hike the AT in april 2020. Been dreaming of the trail for years, always postponed for excuses and comfort, but this year a series of misfortunes made me jump the gun and I have the firm intention to go all the way. Gear is almost fully ready, but it's hard in Europe to get some stuff that I need so might need a bit of time in the US before walking to acquire the last items I miss some infos too, hope to get everything here.

Cheers!

Howdy, Y'all. I'm Skully and I'm from Idaho. I'm set to depart on a thru hike NOBO on March 15th. We'll see you out there, eh?

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
++ New Posts ++