WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Thank you my Angel, Saint, Hero, your cookies are great. I would move to the wonderful town of Waynesboro, where I've left all my worldly possessions unguarded at the Y three times, but I wouldn't want to lower the property values.
    Just signed-up yesterday and wanted to say "hello" to all.
    I am fairly new to hiking, although, I've probably hiked many inconsistant miles through the years.
    I reside a mile or so from the trail. An area near the NY/NJ border referred to as Stairway to Heaven. I am fortunate to live in a beautiful area and have recently begun discovering it through hiking.
    This site seems like a wealth of information and was lucky enough to stumble upon it while searching for info on "The Secret Shelter".
    Thanks for offering such a well organized place for info and experienced discussion.
    Glad to be here.

Images

to WB
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default The NOOB

Hey everyone just joined and wanted to say hello. Trying to get information about hiking the AT and got lots of questions but i'll see where the search takes me first.

Default Can't Lurk Forever

So I guess this is hello Whiteblaze. Just wanted to say that this forum/community has an amazing amount of info and support for those planning a thru.

Thanks to all of your contributers.
    Concrete is heavy, iron is hard - but the grass will prevail -EA

Hello whiteblazers, from Virginia, this is a great site and I've very much enjoyed reading here. A big thanks to all of you responsible for sharing info on thru hiking. I'm a camper in the more traditional family camping sense and recognize backpacking as the purest form of camping. I've been working to lighten up in hopes of doing a thru of SNP, for starters, this winter. The advice found here has been very helpful.

Hello, everyone. I want to hike the trail next year. I'll be spending a lot of time on this in the meantime. Thanks for having me.

Default Hello

Greetings from Eastern NC,

I've been lurking for the past month or so, I thought I should go ahead and make it official. So far I have learned quite a bit that should come in handy as I start section hiking next year. It's been over 10 years since I did any hiking. Even then I knew I wanted to do the whole trail, so I figured I might as well get to it.

Happy hiking

Love the forum and appreciate the hard work by those who make it possible.

Trail name=juggernaut Still a Master of Sarcasm though.

:banana

I just wanted to say hello, and thank you for all of the information on this site. This ends my session of lurking, you have been warned.

Brad

Thumbs up New guy from NC

Hello Everyone,

I just joined the site and have already learned more then I expected!

I go to school in Johnson City, TN at ETSU and also live in Asheville, NC on the weekends. I'm a Junior and plan on taking this coming fall of as well as next spring to thru-hike the AT. I have wanted to do it for some time now since my later years of high school, and figured while I have the time and funds to do it, I should take advantage of it.

I'm originally from Maine and have hiked Katahdin many times. I have backpacked out west a few times as well. I have never hiked any part of the AT for more then a day but plan to do a few day hikes before March.

Look forward to the information to be learned on this site.

Thanks,

-Chris

I would like to say hello to all. I am a newbie and willing to learn from my fellow hickers.seh you around march on the trail (nobo ) joe cool

Images

New to the site, new to hiking..... enjoying both.

Just did my first AT hike last weekend from DWG to Sunfish and back.
    Loved it!

Plan on doing several day hikes till I do all of NJ, then branching out into neighboring states.
    I've got lots to learn, but look forward to the education.
    Thanks for teaching!

JD

Hi all

been lurking the forums for the better part of a month now and am very impressed with all the knowledge and information to be found here, i have barely scratched the surface and already know a 1000 times more than i did

i live in the the Black Hills of South Dakota (Spearfish) and have been an outdoors person since the tender age of 6 months old when my parents took me camping for the very first time, haven't missed a year of camping since (43 years) sheesh i'm getting old

haven't really done any long distance hiking but do manage to get out pretty much every week for day hikes usually 7-15 miles every week, atleast weather permitting, the winters can get pretty bad here, both in snow accumulation and temp. last year we got approx 200 inches of snow and that puts a bit of a crimp in the hiking, just got our first snowfall of the season last night, just a skiff though

found the forum because my gf and i are in the pre-planning stages of maybe try to thru hike the AT, hopefully we can pull it off, seems a daunting challenge......guess that's most of the allure for me

anyways just wanted to say "hi" and hopefully i will be able to add something to the great forum and community you have here

brian

Default the pct class of 2010

great job !!!!! i had so much fun,,

can anyone point me to very, helpful winter hiking sites, videos and resources? i have been using google and i haven't found one very good comprehensive site.

in addition, can anyone tell me if the AT has been thru-hiked in the winter?

I am so happy to have found this site as there is so much wonderful information. I am still reading through all the great content on the site, and welcome anyone who can direct me to messages discussing winter hiking on the AT. Thanks.

-NRG
    greenattrek.blogspot.com

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I just found this site yesterday and have spent considerable time here and joined today. I have been reading in the forum and have thoroughly enjoyed the interaction so decided to do some interacting myself. I haven't yet did an AT thru hike but surely will someday. I have spent some time on the AT in the Great Smokey Mountains which I only live about 130 miles from.
    I found this site while browsing the web for info. on the AT and have found that about anything and every thing you may want to know about it can be found right here from shelter locations, hostels, (which I didn't know existed and assumed than any off trail stays would have to be in expensive hotels). Services provided at the various hostels, good jumping off points for re-supply, laundry, etc. I think it's possible to plan a hike entirely from this website. Well done to the creators of this site!

Hello White Blaze,

I really enjoy this site! I have visited WB a lot and finally decided to join!! Hope to chat with ya'll soon!! So far we have hiked part of the AT in Ga.....but we plan on finishing the 20miles that are left and starting the AT in NC sometime this month. Hopefully we won't freeze our butts, aww the beauty of being a newbie means you learn as you go ;-) Wish us luck!!

Christian hiker, senior citz, doing section hikes, presently ready to do the fontana dam leg after leaving natahala gorge, will head for great smoky mt. leg next, ex teacher, just want to meet other hikers ,nc resident. cedarfork

Quote Originally Posted by cedarfork View Post
    Christian hiker, senior citz, doing section hikes, presently ready to do the fontana dam leg after leaving natahala gorge, will head for great smoky mt. leg next, ex teacher, just want to meet other hikers ,nc resident. cedarfork
    Welcome to WB Cedarfork. Since you're new here and probably still learning the site, here's a forum - "Hooking Up" - where you can advertise for hiking partners. Happy Trails!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++