WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Shows how well I keep track, DH.....I've got to get organized! This year's trip is a month-long odyssey that I'm hoping will rival a Cecil B DeMille movie in terms of the cast of hikers we meet! All I have to do for now is try to keep track of when we're hiking and with whom!
    No problem, I understand. Lots of planning going on for you.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself.

I've been lurking in these forums without an account for several months but Ill be starting the long walk this April so I thought I'd make a few posts before I set off!

Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Hi all! Thanks for the wealth of information from you wise and experienced hikers. As my user ID suggests, (it is not a trail name... don't have that yet) I am planning a flip-flop hike this year. The plan is to go from Harper's Ferry to Springer first, then return to Harper's Ferry to head north to Katahdin. Looking forward to meeting you on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by 2014flipper View Post
    Hi all! Thanks for the wealth of information from you wise and experienced hikers. As my user ID suggests, (it is not a trail name... don't have that yet) I am planning a flip-flop hike this year. The plan is to go from Harper's Ferry to Springer first, then return to Harper's Ferry to head north to Katahdin. Looking forward to meeting you on the trail!
    Likewise thanks for the wealth of information, support, humor, and just plain old puttin' up with one another that
    we enjoy here.
    My current plan for a non conventional thru is to walk home twice. Beginning at Katahdin in Mid July and then flippin' to Springer to walk back here through the fall. Hope to do it in the next couple of years. I will keep you posted.
    Thanks ATTroll for the welcome, and more especially for the wonderful Website. Don't know where we would be without it.

HM....Damn Yankee is going to join us on our Snickers Gap to Keyes Gap hike on the way to your place.....and who knows what else. DY....are you up for James River w/ HM, DeerHunter, Furlough, JohnnyBGood and a cast of thousands? April 25....check out the Spring Trip 2014 group on my profile page.
    How many miles and days is this hike you have planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    How many miles and days is this hike you have planned?

Pick a hike, any hike....... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/group.php?groupid=37
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

HM....Damn Yankee is going to join us on our Snickers Gap to Keyes Gap hike on the way to your place.....and who knows what else. DY....are you up for James River w/ HM, DeerHunter, Furlough, JohnnyBGood and a cast of thousands? April 25....check out the Spring Trip 2014 group on my profile page.
    Had that down for the 26th. Looks like I'm gonna need a new secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014flipper View Post
    What is your start date and what are you trying to accomplish by doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Had that down for the 26th. Looks like I'm gonna need a new secretary.

IT IS THE 26TH !!!! Whichever day is the Saturday.....I keep screwing it up, sorry.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by One Brown Mouse View Post
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself.

I've been lurking in these forums without an account for several months but Ill be starting the long walk this April so I thought I'd make a few posts before I set off!
    Hi One Brown Mouse!

Newest of the noobs. Figured this would be a good place for my first post on the forum. Looking forward to helping and being helped by this great community of people.

First post and thought this would be a good place to start. My husband and I are planning an 18 day section hike in mid September. I am totally new to hiking and have a lot to do to get in shape but I'm very excited. We are planning to go southbound from Atkins VA to Erwin TN. Does this sound doable for 18 days?

Nice section, Valerie! Welcome to WB!

Your mileage capabilities starting out as a newbie hiker is hard to predict. You can plan to start hiking and hopefully end at your planned ending point but you never know what might come up to prevent that.

Again,nice to have you here!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Nice section, Valerie! Welcome to WB!

Your mileage capabilities starting out as a newbie hiker is hard to predict. You can plan to start hiking and hopefully end at your planned ending point but you never know what might come up to prevent that.

Again,nice to have you here!
    I do have a couple zero days built in - we want to stay somewhere in Damascus one night and at Kincora Hostel. We are gonna do some weekend hikes over the summer so that I can try things out before heading out for a long hike. I haven't ever even slept in a tent before so I'm truly a beginner!

First time to post. Hope to do a few section miles this summer. Get out in southwest va. and eastern tnn. do sometrail magic give out sodas and make some hotdogs

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    I do have a couple zero days built in - we want to stay somewhere in Damascus one night and at Kincora Hostel. We are gonna do some weekend hikes over the summer so that I can try things out before heading out for a long hike. I haven't ever even slept in a tent before so I'm truly a beginner!
    You should be fine with the days you have planned then. You will love staying at the Kincora. I've heard good things about that place. Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus might be a good place for you to stay. Don't be put off by the name. He's the nicest guy ever! :>)

It's so exciting to meet someone that is so new to the backpacking world. You'll love it! My first night in a tent was while car camping. Then, I went from there....

I remember my first night out near Tinker Cliffs in VA. Coyotes howled at midnight, then sounding much closer at 3:00 AM. I had my trekking poles, at the ready. Our cook pots were close by for making noise to scare them away. They never came close.

We had our Cairn Terriers with us in our tents. They were standing on our chests listening to the coyotes howl. It's funny to think back on that now.

I loved spending the night in the woods, in anticipation of doing more hiking again the next day.

You are going to love it Valerie! The next time I went out, it was a 112 mile section hike! :0) I'm hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by mtmanva2 View Post
    First time to post. Hope to do a few section miles this summer. Get out in southwest va. and eastern tnn. do sometrail magic give out sodas and make some hotdogs
    Hey mtmanva2... Welcome in! Trail magic is always welcome too. Nice to have you here!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    You should be fine with the days you have planned then. You will love staying at the Kincora. I've heard good things about that place. Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus might be a good place for you to stay. Don't be put off by the name. He's the nicest guy ever! :>)

It's so exciting to meet someone that is so new to the backpacking world. You'll love it! My first night in a tent was while car camping. Then, I went from there....

I remember my first night out near Tinker Cliffs in VA. Coyotes howled at midnight, then sounding much closer at 3:00 AM. I had my trekking poles, at the ready. Our cook pots were close by for making noise to scare them away. They never came close.

We had our Cairn Terriers with us in our tents. They were standing on our chests listening to the coyotes howl. It's funny to think back on that now.

I loved spending the night in the woods, in anticipation of doing more hiking again the next day.

You are going to love it Valerie! The next time I went out, it was a 112 mile section hike! :0) I'm hooked!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I was looking at Crazy Larry's and thought that might be a good place to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement! I was looking at Crazy Larry's and thought that might be a good place to stay.
    You won't be disappointed with Larry!

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++