WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Thank you for the welcome, AT Troll. I'm looking forward to reading all the great information on this site and in the forums. I'm a relatively new hiker, and I am currently training to do a thru-hike of the AT in 2019. Obviously, I need all the information I can get.

Thanks for adding me, planning a section hike in late March on the AT. starting at Springer Mt. and going as far as I can go in a week. any one have any idea where that might end up at?

Hello! Planning our third section hike in Georgia in a few weeks and got some good information on trail conditions from the general section. Hope it will be clear of fallen trees by then.

How do I upload a photo as my avatar? Love this site!

Nevermind! I see the answer was already posted. Thanks!

hello from the midwest!

hello to all from northern Mi.

Hello from CT!

Got back into backpacking (bicycle and ADVmoto touring too) after a long hiatus - converting over to ultra-light gear was the big catalyst, it just made everything so much simpler and more enjoyable. Hope to learn and share ideas with the community.

Hello. I used to post a lot here. Probably too much. Glad to see Lone Wolf and Tipi Walters are still going strong. Good people. Still hoping to get hiking down there some day. Daughter has just started University this year and is one of my students. I only teach part time. Keep hiking.

Greetings from the upper left hand corner of your map....and remember, there is no "r" in Washington

Greetings from wild wonderful Almost Heaven WV! So very glad to have found this wealth of information! I'm a relatively newbie hiker, Maggie and I (that's my dog) have racked up quite a few miles on the local rail trails and next year we're gonna "get serious" and hike all 45 state parks/forests/trails. The hubs will probably join us. I'm also planning a thruhike of the great AT in 2020, to give us time to train and prepare, cuz Maggie's going to need conditioning as well. Very happy to be among such knowledgeable folks, I hope to learn a lot here!

Thanks for the add. I have been lurking on the site for a while now since I am planning a section hike from Springer mtn to Dicks Creek Gap in mid May. I look forward to it as it is a bucket list item for me. It will be in sections over the years to come but I will finish it in due time. I have learned a lot about hiking in general from this site so I figured it was time to make it official haha. Thanks again.

Found this place ~3 years ago, joined ~2 years ago, and today I made my first post!

Aloha from Long Island NY. So far my fiance and I have done some day hikes in the North East US and a few in the Tatra Mountains in Poland (two seperate week long trips).

We are planning a thru in 2020 when we have saved up enough to risk putting two careers on hold.

Look forward to learning and living vicariously through some of you posting your adventures until then.

*wave*

Hello from NH, I've just recently came across this site and find it very helpful. Most of my adult life I have hiked, camped, hunted, fished and just spent a lot of time in the woods. I seemed to be most at piece when I'm in the middle of mother nature. About a year ago I came down with a sickness that there's really no cure. I call it AT fever, I can keep it a bay with doses of books, buying equipment, youtube and anytime that I hike where you find white blazes. So basically I'm a AT thru hiker wantabe . My start date is not until 2020 (if my plan comes together). In the mean time I want to learn as much as I can so that my odds of being successful are greater. By joining this site I hope to learn, share and contribute if I can.

Thank you for the welcome!
    Hello from the northern region of Ontario!!
    So glad I happened upon this site - exactly what I was looking for. After reading half-a-dozen books about the AT and PCT, I thought to myself “why not me.” If I could register for 2019, I’d be doing that now...but will have to wait a bit. My goal is to thru hike as I’m retired, so I have lots of time.
    I like to think I’m well prepared - maybe not mentally, but physically. I’m a bow hunter up here, so when I am out hunting 4-5 days a week, I’m alone and covering 10-15 miles through hills and valleys. Rain, snow or shine - I’m out there.
    I’m learning a lot here from others regarding base weight, gear etc. As I’m used to multi overnighters both hunting and backcountry camping, I’m used to carrying a 30 lb backpack. Course, casual hunting or backpacking will be nothing compared to a gruelling 5-6 month thru hike.

I do have two initial questions:
    Currently I use a MSR pot with a 227g canister - good for about 4 days. For the AT, should I be considering switching to the MSR Whisperlite + white fuel? Advantages/disadvantages?

Secondly, being Canadian, any advice from other Canadians who’ve thru hiked? Do I need anything other than my passport? FYI, we’ll be driving to Georgia. Hubby is a nascar fan, so he’ll spend a few weeks hitting the tracks, then back to Canada. I know I won’t be able to transport food or fuel.

Thanks so much

This is great site. Welcome

Hippie Dust here ( nutritional yeast ) I put it on everything. I have hiked Maryland and Pennsylvania years ago. The kids are grown and I am now looking to do some section hiking. Looking forward to learning and getting to know somesome folks here. 😊#bekind Thanks

Hello Everyone
    I am new to this forum
    Looking forward to get more ideas and share it.

Hello Folks, This is my first time posting, but I've been lurking for a while. I have never really hiked, unless you count my son's scout camping trips many moons ago.(20+ years).
    For my 45th birthday (2 years) I plan to hike a portion of the AT, not sure what portion just yet. I'm in southern Indiana and we have tons of trails. I plan to prep myself by doing a few of those trails. I've learned a lot from lurking, and hope to find more info. I may have a few questions along in my prepwork.
    Again thanks!

Howdy, folks!

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
++ New Posts ++