WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thank You for the great site. I have learned so much from it. I'm planning a flip-flop this year starting june 4 in SNP going north. I want to donate to white blaze and help and become a paying member. I dont know how much to give? what is the amount you suggest? Now be real about the amount.

The day I retired I joined WB. I plan to thru hike the AT in 2007. The information posted here is priceless and so are some of the members I've been reading.

Images

Just found this site, looks great. I have recently gotten back into backpacking after 4 years of working to much. I have discovered that I desperately need to upgrade my 15 year old backpack and sleeping bag.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trlhiker
    Just found this site, looks great. I have recently gotten back into backpacking after 4 years of working to much. I have discovered that I desperately need to upgrade my 15 year old backpack and sleeping bag.
    Welcome trlhiker. I can relate to that. After I retired from the military and started backpacking again. I did not realize how much packs had changed until I met people on the trail. The one I had was an antique.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I am happy to be a member of this site...

Quote Originally Posted by bambi
    I am happy to be a member of this site...
    Bambi! What kind of hiking opportunities are there in the Phillipines?

Default Newbie here!

Nice site! I'm not a thru hiker but been on several sections. As mentioned in another post "my job won't allow" (maybe after retirement ) It has always been a dream of my son's and mine to thru hike the AT. And we've always enjoyed meeting the thru hikers on our hikes. I haven't been on many hikes since my hiking buddy (my son) went to the Navy. This site brings back alot of great memories!

New guy here.. new hiker, new shoes, tired lungs. Thanks for letting me aboard. Just finding my way around the forum. Please excuse misplaced post, questions..
    Just out on the mountain trails for the first time a week or so ago. So enthused that I came home and started looking for general info and ended up here. Dandy site, thanks.
    Being 45 yrs of age and not terribly dillusional.....where can I find trail elevation profiles so I might plan a reasonable hike for myself and spouse. GA is a likely starting place. Springer Mtn apt to make me throw myself off the side of a mtn in despair?

Images

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog...id=62&compid=1

Skylighter. The link is to maps. Search around some and you might find them cheaper.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I am new to this site as well. I've been away from backpacking for quite some time but my impending retirement has got me thinking, once again, of that trail in the woods I heard about all those years ago.

**r4m--I am near Dayton; you?

Skidsteer,thanks for the welcome and the link. I'll check it out here in a minute. The only thing I have to base any sensible future hikes on is the elevation profiles of the hikes we did manage. Was rather surprised we pulled off we what did. Being flatlanders from Florida and all..

Madrvrfshrr, I heard about that trail myself back when I was just out of highschool. Dreamed about it but my world was too small at the time. Twenty five yrs have passed.....think I'll put one foot in front of the other and see what comes of it. Nothing ventured....

Thanks again to the good folks that made a place to come and dream as well as educate.

Hunched over a keyboard dreaming of trees. Flexo's Avatar

Default Hola

Well, I have been hiding in the shadows reading posts over the last few weeks. I thought I would step out and introduce myslef and say hi to all of you.

I must say that this is the most active web board that I have ever seen with some really great articles. Thanks so much for all the hard work put into the detailed reports. I will be stopping by regularly to check out the new additions!

I am currently living in Phoenix, AZ. I grew up in Pennsylvania and drove by several of the places that the AT emerges from the woods in central PA. Mostly off route 322 (if memory serves me correctly...ever and ever more faulty ) I used to wonder who would ever eat all that beef jerky in the small shops along the road. Later in life, I lived just a few miles away from the AT crossing I-90 in Massachusetts.

Now that I am living on the surface of the sun, I have an itching to thru hike the trail. Absence makes the heart grow fond I guess. Luckily, my employer gives me a mandatory *sabbatical* after 7 years of service. So, i am planning on hitting in the trail in 2008.

So after that rather long introduction, Howdy All!

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flexo
    Well, I have been hiding in the shadows reading posts over the last few weeks. I thought I would step out and introduce myslef and say hi to all of you

We're a pretty strange bunch - but we get on alright...

What part of PA do you hail from? I have family on both sides trying to get me to move there - but both sides have their +/-.

And is 'Flexo' from Futurama? I just caught an episode of that and then see your moniker here. Just thought I'd ask!
    So be it.
    --John

Hello! I'm new to the comunity and hiking in general, but I've decided to go all out. My girlfriend (an experienced hiker, you may know her better as Nameless) and I will be thru hiking starting in March. I'm really looking forward to it!

Images

Welcome TundraPoet!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by TundraPoet View Post
    Hello!
    Hello backatcha, and Welcome to WhiteBlaze!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I'll join the parade of newcomers to throw out my own "Hellooooooooo!" and say "Thanks for the site!" I'm looking forward to my AT experience and this site is definitely the best resource I've found!

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Flexo View Post
    Well, I have been hiding in the shadows reading posts over the last few weeks. I thought I would step out and introduce myslef and say hi to all of you.

I must say that this is the most active web board that I have ever seen with some really great articles. Thanks so much for all the hard work put into the detailed reports. I will be stopping by regularly to check out the new additions!

I am currently living in Phoenix, AZ. I grew up in Pennsylvania and drove by several of the places that the AT emerges from the woods in central PA. Mostly off route 322 (if memory serves me correctly...ever and ever more faulty ) I used to wonder who would ever eat all that beef jerky in the small shops along the road. Later in life, I lived just a few miles away from the AT crossing I-90 in Massachusetts.

Now that I am living on the surface of the sun, I have an itching to thru hike the trail. Absence makes the heart grow fond I guess. Luckily, my employer gives me a mandatory *sabbatical* after 7 years of service. So, i am planning on hitting in the trail in 2008.

So after that rather long introduction, Howdy All!
    There are a great bunch of folks in here. Anything you want to know about the A T you can find the answer here just post the question and bam someone will answer

Good morning! Just dropping in to say hey. I joined this morning, and am here on a secret mission to gather beta on the AT. (Oops, I guess I just blew my cover) One day I'll ACTUALLY get on it! I'm living in Huntsville, Alabama so I'm not too far away. Thanks for the great site! Peace Y'all, Ritz.
    Any day above ground is a good one!

Default Greetings!

Hi all, I joined this site a couple of days ago and thought I'd say hello! I just quit my full time job as a Microbiologist to start preparing for my thru hike in February (hopefully). I've had it with the rat race and have been wanting to hit the AT since I was 15 (I officially turn 30 in one week). There's so much more that I want to say but I just wanted to intoduce myself and hopefully dig into the other forums soon for some much needed advice.

Aimee AKA Smitten
    Could I have been anyone other than me?

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++