WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by djgray1200 View Post
    Are all AT diehards jaded on newbs coming in with an overly romanticised outlook on what to expect? I hope I'm not that guy. Any advice for someone just starting out would be appreciated. Maybe just like running's couch to 5K I need Couch 2 AT training. Thanks all.
    I can't speak for all diehards but I don't think you can over romanticise the AT. You can overplan and/or overtrain for it. Relax, just start slow and let yourself adapt.

hi everyone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by irrationalsolutions View Post
    hi everyone
    Welcome IRA!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default hola whitblaze

excuse me please but i'm just putting it out there.
    i'm scottish, traveling in south america and need to be in michigan by the 20th of july. i had a thought that it would be great to arrive via the bottom half of the AT. dont know yet if i can get a 6mnth visa but i will check that out in panama, my next port of call. if i can, i was wondering if there was anyone out there who is organized for the trek that would let me, someone who is not so organized, join them as far as pensylvania (or however the hell you spell it)?
    lizzie

Images

Happy New Year One and All!

I am new to this site and fairly new to the A.T. I am a retired police officer, and currently teaching criminal justice courses at a small community college. My son, Kevin, and I have completed four day hikes starting last August, and thus far we have completed about 30 miles of the A.T. in MD, WV, and VA. Our most recent hike was on December 20, 2008 from Keys Gap, WV to the Blackburn Trail Center in VA., a 6.2 mile stretch, which we barely completed before dark. I look forward to reading about others experiences on the A.T., and if you will forgive me, adding my own once in awhile. May the wind always be at your back.

Images

Happy New Year
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Hi Atroll
    Started hiking 2008, Mar. Got on and off trail thru July. Bronco and I are planning to trail buddy around first of May 2009. Is there a spreadsheet like last year, for this year? Mo later , Indygirl
    Indy Girl
    "Those who wander are not lost."
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

Smile Hey! I'm a newbie to the site

I've been hiking the AT for a long time. My mom is an amature hiker and has raised me in her hikerish ways since I was 12yrs old. While hiking the AT I came across a fellow hiker and he told me about this site! So, here I am!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JayHiker10 View Post
    I've been hiking the AT for a long time. My mom is an amature hiker and has raised me in her hikerish ways since I was 12yrs old. While hiking the AT I came across a fellow hiker and he told me about this site! So, here I am!
    Hi

I'm planning to hike the Georgia section of the AT in late May or early June. I'm planning on doing it in 7 days, which I understand is a pretty ambitious pace, but I teach, so if I'm a bit slower, I won't have to worry about missing work to take a few extra days if I need them as long as I plan well enough to have enough food and supplies to cover unexpected delays and have a plan to be able to bail before I hit that long section around the GA/NC border that doesn't seem to have any road accessible trail heads.

I'll probably be asking a few questions closer to the actual trip, but I want to spend some time perusing the site before I start asking the same questions that get asked every few weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aracauna View Post
    I'm planning to hike the Georgia section of the AT in late May or early June. I'm planning on doing it in 7 days, which I understand is a pretty ambitious pace, but I teach, so if I'm a bit slower, I won't have to worry about missing work to take a few extra days if I need them as long as I plan well enough to have enough food and supplies to cover unexpected delays and have a plan to be able to bail before I hit that long section around the GA/NC border that doesn't seem to have any road accessible trail heads.

I'll probably be asking a few questions closer to the actual trip, but I want to spend some time perusing the site before I start asking the same questions that get asked every few weeks.
    aracauna,I am in Franklin,NC and if I could answer questions please let me know.I am familiar with the trails in this area.Welcome to the forum.

I have a question about your name (aracauna) This word is the name of an indian tribe in the Andes Mtns of South America.They are chickens breed there that lays colored eggs.These breeds lay red,green,orange,blue and Yellow eggs.Really wierd huh?How did you get this trail name?

Confectionary Based Christian Existentialist

Default What goes on here?

Just registered. I'm a Michigan native that's been living in Georiga for 8 years - I discovered hiking when I realized my bicycle was useless in Georgia - too few bike paths!

I am glad I did, I like hiking better than bicycling, anyway! Never been on the AT - maybe later this year - I do day hikes, usually at FDR near Columbus. Personal best is 12 miles in one day, I usually do 7 to 10 a day down there.

Other interests are Ham Radio and going to school (really!)

Mark

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
    Just registered. I'm a Michigan native that's been living in Georiga for 8 years - I discovered hiking when I realized my bicycle was useless in Georgia - too few bike paths!

I am glad I did, I like hiking better than bicycling, anyway! Never been on the AT - maybe later this year - I do day hikes, usually at FDR near Columbus. Personal best is 12 miles in one day, I usually do 7 to 10 a day down there.

Other interests are Ham Radio and going to school (really!)

Mark
    to Whiteblaze pizzaguy. I'm a former Michigander myself. You'll be addicted to Whiteblaze in no time. Ask anything, you'll get every answer imaginable here.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Lurking for awhile a a guest and finally registered. I'm for Boston Mass. A true Bostonian, accent and all. I have section hike parts of the AT in New England. I'm currently planning on a Long Trail Thur-hike this summer.

Figure I would stop by and say Hi.

Lotsa Boston people here. Good to see ya.

I just found this site thank goodness. Me and a friend started hiking last year and went for a short trip on the AT and had a blast. Can't wait to do it again. Oh yeah I'm from Greeneville,TN

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Lotsa Boston people here. Good to see ya.
    WOOOOT!!!!

New here and I started hiking back in 1999. It's good to finally come to the place where I can relate and share insights with fellow hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by pathill View Post
    New here and I started hiking back in 1999. .
    You must be tired

Journal Entries
    Images

I just wanted post #200.

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++