WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Default Thru-hiking in 2009 --I'm stoked

Hi to all!

I recently joined and just wanted to introduce myself. First, though, thanks to those who run this great site and all of you who contribute your knowledge to thru-hiking newbies like myself.

I thought I’d be doing my thru-hike a few years from now when I retired. But I thought I’d ask my employer for a leave of absence on the theory that sooner is better than later. I thought the chance of getting a “yes” was somewhere between slim and none but, wonder of wonders, I got it and will be in the class of 2009.

The AT has been on my “to do” list for nearly ever but I’ve only day hiked miniscule portions of it. For much of the last 25 years I’ve lived in Southern California and most of my recent experience has been in the desert and the Sierra Nevada. I do a fair amount of car camping and short backpacks – about 20 days so far this year but I’ve never backpacked more than a week so this should be a great adventure.

I have a ton of questions, but, so far, searching through past posts has worked fine. And I know if a search fails to produce an answer, I have access to a lot of stored wisdom.

Thanks to all of you,

Mister Bow Willow

Images

Hello to everyone. I'm a 38 years young hiker from SC, though I can be found mostly in the NC/VA Blue Ridge. A "weekend warrior" by circumstance, not by choice; and looking down the road to bigger and better trails. Thru-hiking the AT has been a dream for many years, and I've put my mind (and health, and money) toward making that dream come true. It'll be a long time, and I envy those who've already made it and those who will make it sooner than later.

Until that day comes, if you're in the area, you might bump into me one morning. Remember to say hello, and have a great day!

Thanks for the great site, its nice to share with people who understand.

Newly registered. My experience with the AT isn't all that extensive. Stowe, VT (the farthest I've been is the Taft Lodge, but I've done other sections of it), Harriman State Park (NY), Bear Mtn (NY). I live in the lower Hudson River Valley, do a great deal of my hiking locally (Schunnemunk Mtn, Black Rock Forest). I look forward to checking out the forums. Any raptor watchers out there?

I guess I should specify exactly what I mean by hiking, though, because it means different things to different people. I love my solitude. I hike mostly for thinking, ideating (I'm an artist) and a sense of well-being. It's so restorative, and I get very cranky without it. The great exercise I get is by default, but it keeps me very fit. Any formal type of excercise, I just won't do it, so it works perfectly for me.

Images

newly registered but not a new hiker or at bum. i am an off and on again sectional hiker but haven't really done any extended trips on the at since college due to a few wars, living in germany, kids, etc. i am done with springer mtn to damascus and am not working on knocking out the rest of va before i move (yet again) next year.

in addition to backpacking i also fly fish, race trails, am into bikes (all types), and lots of climbing.

i particularly like winter snowshoe and ski tours.

brad

Broken-in newbie here. I thought I had joined earlier but I guess I didn't. I did my first section hike this past April. Gooch Gap, GA to Dick's Creek Gap (?), GA. I have to say, IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! I'm 35 and hiked with a 60 y.o. that liked to have left me in his dust. Anyway, he's section hiking over a few years to get it done, then do a thru-hike when he retires. Go figure. I hope I can do it when I'm at that age.

Anyway, I do some hiking here in south Mississippi, mainly National Forest trails. I'm supposed to section hike the GSMNP in May '09, so I can't wait, it's a blast, my wife thinks I'm crazy but my kids dig it.

Images

There's a welcome for both of you. It's a magnificent obsession eh? My whole family and half my friends think I'm nuts.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    There's a welcome for both of you. It's a magnificent obsession eh? My whole family and half my friends think I'm nuts.

Only HALF??

howdy lilred
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default newbie

hi, i am brand new to the forum and it looks good,i came across it on hammockforum,which i have just joined recently.i am from bonnie Scotland and have been bushcrafting, canoeing ,hiking ,hammocking for a lot of years now.i am looking forward to meeting everybody and excited but joining another forum over in the U.S ,this will be my second in a couple of days. i have been looking to maybe purchase an underblanket and a quilt for my hammock ,which are not easy items to find in the uk maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.thank you and hi everybody

Hello,
    I am a newbie hiker/backpacker/adventurer and just came upon this awesome site today while doing a search about the Art Loeb trail which I have been to and plan to completely backpack soon (over Thanksgiving). I found wilconow's thread on his experience there and found it very informational and useful along with the tips everybody shared in that thread.

This is an awesome site and the AT is on my list of things to do in the future!!!

Good Evening Everyone!
    I have been lurking around this site since at least last fall. I got the AT bug back then but there was no way I could do it in the foreseeable future. Now I've committed to next year and decided it would be a good time to join. I just did a hike of the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island in Canada this past July and it was awesome. Other than that, I've done various 1 or 2 day trips around MD and VA, mostly in the Shenandoah area. You'll probably see me doing more lurking than posting, but I'll say something when I feel the need to or have a question I can't find an answer to.

I've finally joined up after all these years of lurking! This site has taught me so much and has been a great source of inspiration. Although I'm only a lowly section hiker, I look forward to joining the discussion and sharing a little of what I've learned. Happy to be here and thanks to all in this community.

First post and fairly new lurker. I have always loved hiking but had almost completely gotten away from it after college/marriage. Recent bout with cancer made me re-evluate just about everything and realize I need to work on my 'dreams'. As a kid in MD we would hike the AT alot. I met a thru hiker back then (do not remember the name) and thought that was the coolest thing in the world. So now its my plan to take the time once I finish school.

Missouri does not have alot of mountains but plenty of trails out here to get in som decent hikes.

This site is amazing and I learn something new each day (but it makes me want to start off much sooner)!

Images

Welcome to WhiteBlaze Greb

Panzer

Default New to Whiteblaze...

Howdy!

I was on the hunt this week for good AT resources and found Whiteblaze. My compliments to the staff and membership, this is a fantastic resource. I've been hiking up in the White Mountains since I was a teen, many more years that I care to think about.

Looking back I consider myself very fortunate because a have no regrets about were I've been and what I've done, save one. The one regret is that I didn't do an AT thru hike coming out of college or the military.

I have a loving wife and 4 fantastic kids. All of us enjoy hiking and backpacking, and I wouldn't change a thing. With one in College two in High School and one in Grade School though a thru hike isn't in the cards at the moment.

This has been a low mileage year for me so I'm real itchy to get out more this fall and some in the winter. Every time I get itchy to hike though the thru hike regret creeps in. A couple nights ago I had this rather fatalistic thought "What if I die before I reach Katahdin?" Kinda freaked me out.

I thought about it and decided that while I can't control when I go home to meet my maker, I can control my goals and dreams while my hiking boots are still underneath me. It could be several years before I head to Springer so while I figure out when and how to make that a reality I'll be here doing some very long term advanced planning and keeping the dream alive.

Thanks for this great resource and the community here!
    Tom G.
    A pack on my back and boots on my feet... Life is good!

Hey all!

Dave here, new to WhiteBlaze, but started my first section in 1987, fell off the trail in 1991, bounced around the GSMNP in 1999, and now just biding my time until my little ones are big enough to be sherpas. Don't know that I'll thru hike anytime soon, but I still have my hopes .

See you on the Trail.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    Hey all!

Dave here, new to WhiteBlaze, but started my first section in 1987, fell off the trail in 1991, bounced around the GSMNP in 1999, and now just biding my time until my little ones are big enough to be sherpas. Don't know that I'll thru hike anytime soon, but I still have my hopes .

See you on the Trail.

Dave
    to WhiteBlaze, Ranc0r!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Waddyaknow? Just barely started checking out the AT scene and already a familiar face. I'm also on Geocachine Maine w/ attroll. To introduce myself, my name is Jereme. I'm possibly one of those wishful thinking, pipe dream, idealistic day hikers enamored with the idea of someday thruhiking. Through geocaching, running, nordic walking, and some time in the gym I've managed to drop 50 lbs since June 1st. I've decided to set my sights on a thruhike in a few years. Right now I'm just researching. Are all AT diehards jaded on newbs coming in with an overly romanticised outlook on what to expect? I hope I'm not that guy. Any advice for someone just starting out would be appreciated. Maybe just like running's couch to 5K I need Couch 2 AT training. Thanks all.

I figured I would hop on to introduce myself. I'm a short time lurker and first time poster who is currently training to do the GA section of the AT. My blood has thinned since I moved down south so I am most likely waiting until the spring to hit the trail and just doing other shorter trips during the time being.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you guys for putting together such a great resource.

Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Some of us will be getting out pretty often this winter. It can be a great time to be in the woods.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NCYankee View Post
    I figured I would hop on to introduce myself. I'm a short time lurker and first time poster who is currently training to do the GA section of the AT. My blood has thinned since I moved down south so I am most likely waiting until the spring to hit the trail and just doing other shorter trips during the time being.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you guys for putting together such a great resource.
    Welcome friend! I frequently hike this area in April just because I love it so much. I'm a sectioner, so I hike anywhere from Springer up to Damascus. Been doing that hike for many years now - you will love it. I love the smell of the Trail in the south in the spring, everything coming to life and the soil is pungent.

Have fun, whatever you do.

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++