WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Images

Lots of good info here. Lots of opinions too. It's a very active discussion board with some strong personalities. Don't take some of the more heated debates too seriously.

Jump right in!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Well I suppose this is as good a place as any for a first post. I'm 21 now, and haven't backpacked at all since coming to college, but in high school I did quite a bit of weekend and weeklong backpacking trips. I got the itch again recently, and rummaged up all my backpacking stuff with the hopes of going out on some more trips this summer and fall.

Additionally, if I can get back into decent shape and get my act together, I would love to thru-hike the AT in 2009 right after graduation in late May. Anyway, this place seems like an excellent source of information to get caught back up on the backpacking world, and I'm sure I'll have some questions in the coming months. I look forward to talking with ya'll!

Images

This site is a great source of information. There is a lot of thru-hiking experience in addition to general backpacking knowledge.

The search function is excellent also when looking for specific information on a piece of gear. If you have questions start a thread and you'll be shocked at how qucikly you'll get several answers.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a great energy bar you can get at "ON THE EDGE" farmstand on route #12 in Pomfret, VT. The trail is just a short walk to the stand. These bars are homemade and not only taste great but provide a good nutritious boost for you hikers.

Curious User

I'm just beginning to plan my thru-hike of the AT next year so happening upon this site is great and I really can't wait to learn from your experiences.

» James

Images

Welcome llib20! Surf the Articles section and also the gear forums for info. Have questions? Ask away!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Hiyo, all! My name's Kei (pronounced 'Kay'), and I've just joined. I spent my first year of college at Ferrum College in southwestern Virginia and I fell in with some folks in the Recreation and Outdoors Club. That opened up an entirely new world for me! But now that I'm back in Jersey, I can't give up the life I had in Virginia. So I've started planning a hike through a portion of the AT next summer with a lot of my pals from college. So stoked! I'm glad to have found this place, lots of my questions have already been answered and I haven't even been here for more than a day or two.

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Welcome to WhiteBlaze Kei! There is a LOT of information here in both the Articles and in the Forums as well... All that you have to do is ask a question and you'll get several answers in relatively short order....

Been up to NJ a couple of times work related..... Hope to get up on the Trail section sometime in the not too distant future.

Again, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Randy

Default ATtroll's thruhike...

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Are you talking to me? Because you quoted my post. But if your referring to my quote "2010 or bust". That is the year I am planning my thru hiker unless something drastic happens, like hell freezing over.
    This I've got to hear about. NOBO or SOBO? Tent, bivy, hammock, or tarp? Bringing dog or friend? White- or blue-blazing? Cooking or eating cold? Lekis or a hiking staff? Approach Trail? Rough start date?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    This I've got to hear about. NOBO or SOBO? Tent, bivy, hammock, or tarp? Bringing dog or friend? White- or blue-blazing? Cooking or eating cold? Lekis or a hiking staff? Approach Trail? Rough start date?
    If you really got to know:
    NOBO or SOBO? (NOBO), Tent, bivy, hammock, or tarp? (Tent for start then hammock), Bringing dog or friend? (Neither), White- or blue-blazing? (WhiteBlazing), Cooking or eating cold? (Both) Lekis or a hiking staff? (Lekis), Approach Trail? (No), Rough start date? (Private)
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Hello...hello, intros

Hello Whiteblaze! My trailname's Lops and I've been a whiteblaze surfer for a while and finally got around to joining. First of all I've just got to repeat what has been said numerous times...this a great site and my fiance (trailname CRS) and I have gotten tons of valuable info from it. I can't wait to add to it in the future . Thanks Attroll and all the great hikers out there!

I'm working on finishing up my master's degree in geology -- My fiance and I are planning a NOBO hike in 2009. We currently live in the Chicago area, I'm from Colorado and CRS is from Maine. We'll be hiking up to Maine and settling in there (hopefully ). We've most of our gear together and 30 shakedown miles under our belts so far (knobstone trail, anyone hiked it?) and we plan on figuring out an itinerary soon. Can't wait to get out there and get our boots on the trail!

Enjoying the site and using it for information as I hike parts of the AT. Lots of good info.

Hi all... I've just recently been biten by the hiking bug. 2 years ago I stumbled upon geocaching on a free weightloss site and thought...HMMM my boys would like that...real life "treasure" hunting. I tended to look for the long hikes... now I want to get my 4 year old hooked on the outdoors. He will choose to be outside over anyhting else any day of the week. I may never be able to take the time to thru hike the AT, but maybe either 2 or 3 of us can section hike it. Looking forward to learning anything and everything that can help.

BG

Images

Welcome aboard BuffalosGandalf. I hope you have fun here, learn much, and get the chance to share your experiences with us. Walking with kids is definitely its own challenge and reward.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Hello all, I am new here. I am not yet a through hiker. I have done clingy d. south to the Mountain Crossings store. And some other short sections as connectors on backpacks.
    I do a good bit of weekend trips with friends, and some 5-6 day trips as solos with my wonderful (well behaved ) dog. His name is Boo. We also do a good bit of fishing all over the Southern Apps. So I may not be the typical Whiteblaze member, but I am here to learn since I would like to do a through hike in a few years. That should gimmi some stories to tell over and over in my old age, ya know?

Images

Hello everyone!

Just joined today and have an awful lot of reading here to do!

I'm retiring after 20 years of military service in 2010 and plan a thru-hike (NOBO) in 2011. Hiking the AT has been a dream of mine for a number of years. I've been seriously preparing for a couple of months now and figure by the time 2011 rolls around, I'll be ready to roll.

My only experience on the AT has been through the Shenandoah National Park here in Virginia. There are several decent hikes here in the local area but nothing with any elevation (I live at the beach afterall). So, I've mainly been working on testing gear (backpack types/weight and footwear) and working on endurance hikes.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to asking a lot of questions and interacting with you all.

Peace,
    FTC

Images

Welcome, Fritzthecat, Trouthunter, and BuffalosGandalf!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Welcome to the zoo! Pull up a (virtual) chair, ask some questions and make yourself at home.

Be warned, you may ruin your life..in a blissfully satisfying way.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

2010 retirement - good deal. Sounds familiar.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++