WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it. If you lack either, you shouldn't be in either this Forum or on the AT, so consider this good training:

1) No one here is your Mommy, even if your Mommy is here. No one is a tin dictator. You can say and do anything you want, within the limits of the rarely-implemented User Agreement, except for disagreeing with me. You don't want to do that, since if you do, you'll get about 400 wild rants posted by me about how you're the one that's wrong, but I can't delete your posts or throw you out. Only ATTroll, Dixicritter or Sgt. Rock can do that.

2) This is a bunch of friends and people who tolerate each other (which is not always the same thing). There are no self-appointed experts who you must genuflect before when they utter their opinion, even if they have been around as long as me. Ignore opinions you don't like, or, unless they are mine (see above) disagree all you want. You may have 13 minutes of experience in backpacking, and be correct, while someone who has thru hiked the AT multiple times (and, unlike some people on other sites who remind you about it every day or two) like Jack Tarlin may be wrong (actually, Jack is wrong about almost everything, since he mostly posts about politics, and he's a Republican, which is amazing since he's a pretty nice guy, too, but when he says something about the Trail, he's not blowing smoke. Usually, anyhow). So don't be deferential to anyone (other than me, see above).

3) There are very few obsessive-compulsive neat freaks involved in this site. Forums are created for no particular good reason other than Troll, Dixi, or Rock (who spent huge time running much of this place while trying to keep the peace in beautiful downtown Baghdad and other such pleasure spots) felt like it. Thread drift is rampant, and flame wars (often started by irresponsible dolts who disagreed with me, see above) run on for days, weeks, years (don't believe me? look at the dog threads). No one really minds.

4) If you want information, it is findable but you may need to look for it. "Search" has good advanced features, but best is to create a thread and ask for help. It's provided. People here may disagree with each other, but they also help each other. Consider it a preview for what you will see, or have seen (yeah, that's not a preview, go to hell) on the Trail. Not once will you be let down if you ask for help about a topic or anything else.

5) If you want to debate/discuss/read about things other than the trail, go to the "sensitive" and/or Non Trail forums. Things get very vicious there, depending on the topics. Don't waste your time if you don't care about such things and/or if you have a thin skin.

6) Use the "new posts" button to stay current, if you don't subscribe. It will show you what is topical. It is very Zen doing that. After a while, it's all you need. Zen, that is.

7) Enjoy the Trail, as well as WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze is for people who are individualistic, cooperative, have opinions, a lot of skills (trail and otherwise), and dreams and hopes and fears. It's a crappy place for people who need to be told how to think and how to act and how to behave and how kiss someone else's thruhiking heinie. Here, HYOH is what matters, and you don't have to HDBH. It's like being on the trail itself. As such, it is a real trail place.

Start walking.

The Weasel
    Good luck.
    Weasel,
    Thank you for that informative (and humorus) instruction manual on the proper use of WB I'll try to be sure not to do anything to cause you to do 400 wild rants on why I'm wrong - it seems you already have enough rants going on elsewhere on the site Looking forward to furthering my edjumacation on WB!
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    Weasel,
    Thank you for that informative (and humorus) instruction manual on the proper use of WB I'll try to be sure not to do anything to cause you to do 400 wild rants on why I'm wrong - it seems you already have enough rants going on elsewhere on the site Looking forward to furthering my edjumacation on WB!
    LOL.... you're gonna fit right in. to WB!

As a Trailplace refugee, I am truly happy to find you all. I was a TP resident for the last two incarnations of WF's site (he took it down at least once before). Since no mention of any other site was allowed on TP, the existence of other sites (Such as WB) was obscure. The environmental difference between TP and WB is immediately evidence. The memories of TP will endure but it passing will no longer be mourned.

Images

The Weasel has done a great job of summing up the site in a bottom line up front style. Basically everyone here is responsible for themselves and responsible for what they say. You can decide for yourself based on what people say here who is a fool and if you should take their advice. Since there is more than one way to do the trail, having a chance to get to know people and how they think about things also helps to decide who's advice best fits your idea of how you want to hike.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze and please contribute.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 08-12-2007 at 19:23.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I was a member of TP, but I'm happy to have found this site and I hope I can contribute to this webpage. The A.T. means alot to me and I spend as much time as I can hiking it. Living in Chicagoland, I don't have the opportunity often to take off and get to the trail when I would like, but I think and care about the A.T. very much.

Images

Welcome to WB Double d!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    Weasel,
    Don't worry about what you say. You'll make me rant whether you want to or not. As Billy Joel once wrote about me, "Either I'm wrong or I'm perfectly right every time."

Welcome. Don't be silent. This is a good place with (mostly) good people.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Weary has done a great job of summing up the site in a bottom line up front style.
    Weary? Weary has done a great job?

Dang, Ern. I generally don't criticise people who get to carry guns as part of their job description, but....

Sure know how to put a guy in his place. Dang. Good job.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

My bad, sorry, I will correct that post. I was having a migrane morning when I wrote that.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    My bad, sorry, I will correct that post. I was having a migrane morning when I wrote that.
    Please do NOT correct it. It is good, once in a while, to be reminded of the value of humility.

Weary DOES do good work, after all.

The Weasel

Hello everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I am a former member to Trailplace (like Cochroach and a few others) and recently joined WhiteBlaze. I have frequently visited WhiteBlaze since February but just never joined until now. I've enjoyed reading the posts here and I really like the way it is run. Look forward to sharing experiences and ideas. Hope to meet you in the forums and on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by marathon_man View Post
    Hello everyone.
    Hi MarathonMan! to WhiteBlaze!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

still suffering with computer problems. New computers with issues ugh!
    I am Indy Girl from Sautee Nacoochee. Departure from Springer Mtn, Feb-Mar, 2008 who plans departure then?
    Sorry to have missed saying hi to the new members. This is an awesome group. Hope to meet some of you before the big hike.
    Indy Girl
    Indy Girl
    "Those who wander are not lost."
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

:banana Salutations!

High! I'm BlueFireGasm. SOBO then NOBO
    Recently I had to leave the AT in Maine due to personal reasons. Unfortunately, I had to leave really great friends behind and cut my journey short. I hiked 543 miles in about six and a half weeks, almost hiking up Big K twice (long story), and I met the most awesome people!
    I just wanted to say "Hello" and I hope to find some of the wonderful hikers I met out there. All completely unforgotten! And I wanted to thank the admin. for this awesome site. It's sites like this that allow me to be truely happy for a few extra moments. WhiteBlaze is already aiding to surface the memories I had adopted on the AT and I am more than happy to be a part of it. Thanks!
    I do plan on finishing my journey at a later date, but for now..., I am going to enjoy reading posts here and getting to know everyone. Hope to share stories with y'all. I already have someone (I had met on the AT) in mind that I desperately need to speak with...(BO-GASM)!
    Happy Hiking! Blessings! Stay Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFireGasm View Post
    High! I'm BlueFireGasm. SOBO then NOBO
    Welcome to the world of section hiking. It's a great journey.
    Peace Be With You

Default hey hey

I've been looking for an online AT hiking community and it looks like I found it I have no plans for a thru-hike any time soon, but I plan on doing a couple/few small sections next year and a large section the year after.

Thanks for having me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I've been looking for an online AT hiking community and it looks like I found it I have no plans for a thru-hike any time soon, but I plan on doing a couple/few small sections next year and a large section the year after.

Thanks for having me!
    Welcome to WB Duster!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Hey all. I am relatively new to hiking (1-1/2 years), and just recently purchased a multi-day backpack. I took my first backpacking trip about a month and a half ago at south mountain in MD. I had a great time and met Bigfoot on his way to Katahdin from Harper's Ferry. I wanted to thank him for telling me about your sight, which is very informative. I live in DE, and have to travel a long way to reach the A.T.-anyone have any suggestions on some closer backpacking trails?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFireGasm View Post
    [B]High! I'm BlueFireGasm. SOBO then NOBO
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I've been looking for an online AT hiking community and it looks like I found it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird62 View Post
    Hey all. I am relatively new to hiking
    to WhiteBlaze, BFG, duster, and Jaybird!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Doing the Intro

Howdy, folks!

I'm happy to have come across this site. I've already read through a number of the articles and have learned quite a bit. I've hiked and camped for years, but long distance hiking and day hiking are different worlds entirely!

Having not yet been on the trail, I haven't been saddled with a trail name. So, I'm Art.

I'm planning an AT thru-hike in 2010. I don't want to plan it to death, but I want to be thoroughly educated and prepared. I've been reading about backpacking and the AT for years, but only recently have I begun researching lightweight and ultralight gear. Gotta get that pack weight down.

Great job with the site, I hope I can find a way to contribute. =o)
    Art
    ----
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    --- Swami Vivekananda

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++