WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast

I am going to as well. I am trying to get advice but my time line is shorter. Like in a week or two. I am heading north when I start

I have been reading up and planning for a year, I hope I can do it

It looks like this is the place to introduce oneself?

OK. Due to the insanity currently known as the Internet, I kinda like to say anonymous. However, I am from NC, I live north of New York City, I am in my 50's, and I am a male, married with two children. In my Younger Days, I backpacked a lot. In college I was often in Pisgah, the Nantahala forest, SMNP or some other area on the Southern Appalachians, hiking and camping (that was my weekend/break activity). I did parts of the AT, in Georgia, New Hampshire, NY and NJ (not the full sections, but substantial parts). I also traveled out West a fair amount, and backpacked in Roosevelt NF, and in the Jasper and Banff areas, etc. Then I made the mistake of going to law school. Years in The Grind kept me from much (any) hiking. I got involved in sea kayaking, and did that for some years. About five years ago, I started hiking and backpacking again. It has been a gradual process of getting back into it, learning the new gear (amazing), and trying to get myself physically fit enough for some longer distances.

So, that's me, basically. I have lurked on this forum off an on for years. Decided to finally register, as I have some questions (and occasionally an answer or two).

Thanks.

DHOY

sounds like you are very active and busy enjoying the outdoor life. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnlakenorman View Post
    I am going to as well. I am trying to get advice but my time line is shorter. Like in a week or two. I am heading north when I start

Keep up the hiking

Having glanced through this thread I presume l this the introduction venue. Like someb before me I'd like to remain relatively anonymous. Due to retire in about 6 weeks. Have done a lot of hiking, backpacking, but nothing really recent. Been around the site, and other forums, checking the latest, greatest in gear and technique. Wow. Bucket list has always included the AT. Planning that hike now, departing May 2016. Learning something new every day. Today's lesson: there's a big difference between a backpacker and a long distance hiker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hello all,
    I'm just a local hiker on the AT and other area trails, but I own a restaurant in Roan Mountain, TN and we serve a large number of hikers each year. A guy recently told me about this site, and suggested I register, so here I am. Bob's Dairyland has tried to cultivate a great relationship with you folks, and I want to extend a thank you to all of you.

Aside from food, we will gladly provide you with any possible assistance you may need when you are near us. 423-772-3641, 8361 Hwy 19E, Roan Mountain, TN, 37687

Thanks!
    Joe

Hello everyone. I'm an 18 year old from Missouri, who is currently "figuring things out" career and education wise. I would say that I'm not new to hiking per say, as I have been doing half-day and day hikes since I was a very young child, however I have taken more of an interest in longer outings, and I have found this forum to be a good resource for learning some of the essentials of longer-term hiking that my day hikes have not taught me.

Other than hiking I enjoy reading, pretending that I can write, playing guitar, and traveling(just completed my first solo trip to Europe where I spent three months).

I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing what I can to the forums as I gain more knowledge!

Hello all,
    I am a registered nurse down in Florida who wants to hike at least part of the At next year. While the thought of a thru hike would be an epic bucket list item. I just don't see myself at a point in my life where I can abandon everything (job, home) and spend 6 months on the trail. So for now i will have to settle with hoping to get 10-14 days on a souther section the trail next year. I am a runner with many half marathons, a few marathons and a single ultra marathon under my belt. I love nature and a challenge. Looking forward to learning all I can to make next years trip a success.

Hey everyone! New to the site and getting back into hiking after many, many years. I am currently living in Western NY and going back to school to finish my degree. It has always been my dream to thru hike the AT and I am hoping to do that the summer of 2018 when I graduate (as a graduation gift to myself). I am currently not very in shape and have a lot of work to do to get there. I also have a back injury which limits the amount of weight I can carry. I look at all this not as roadblocks, but as challenges to work through and overcome. I would welcome any and all advice and help. Looking forward to getting back into shape and getting out on the trails!

Hello Chris017: I would suggest you do some "shake down" hikes and see how your body reacts to hiking. All good and good luck!

Hey everyone! New to the site and getting back into hiking after many, many years. I am currently living in Western NY and going back to school to finish my degree. It has always been my dream to thru hike the AT and I am hoping to do that the summer of 2018 when I graduate (as a graduation gift to myself). I am currently not very in shape and have a lot of work to do to get there. I also have a back injury which limits the amount of weight I can carry. I look at all this not as roadblocks, but as challenges to work through and overcome. I would welcome any and all advice and help. Looking forward to getting back into shape and getting out on the trails!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Hi everyone! I'm Steve 43 from virginia, I haven't hiked anything longer than a day hike in almost 20 years! I am in the process of planning 5-7 day hike to reset myself. Looking for any advice for the plan or what i may need to be prepared. My plan as of now is to Start in Harpers Ferry and hike back to Shenandoah County Va area. Plan on doing this in late June early July. Any info would be helpful and thank you in advance.

Post split to new thread here.
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-29-2015 at 23:12. Reason: Increased post visibility.

New to White Blaze. I'm 59 and just decided to thru-hike the AT. Plan is 2018 w/2 others in their mid-40's. I used to dream of the hike (30+ years ago) and did lots of backpacking as a way to travel and get into nature cheaply. Life seemed to take me in other directions and as I stared to make money I got farther away from tents and trails. I'm looking for encouragement and tips on food ( I don't eat meat or peanut butter ), equipment, what I need to pack and what I won't need. Most likely, I'll have logistical help from my husband. I've been retired for 5 years so I've got time to plan and get back in the woods. I know I can do this, although I'll be slower than most. I hope my knees, ankles and back hold up. I'm already so excited about 6 months in the woods, snakes, ticks and all.

I grew up in NC. Been living in MD at sea level for close to 30 years.

Hello together!
    I am new to White Blaze, but interested in AT for about 3-4 years, but now it is almost in reachable distance. I am 53, live in Austria (Europe - just to be sure!) and started hiking a few years ago. But mostly day-hikes and a least one 4-5 day hikes with tent per year. Usually in flat terrain, but we have mountains up to 6000 ft near and even these are fun to go.
    I am planning a thru-hike, but right now I can't tell when - I stll have 8 years of work before retirement. Maybe I can get some time off before. My wife has at least a little bit of understanding for my plans too - so maybe I can make it sooner...
    Most of the time I will be just a lurker, but I will try to add some comments on items, where I think, my opionion may be of interest.
    Regards (and please excuse my bad english...)
    Alfred

Just joined and cannot figure out how to start a thread. I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it. Help! Thanks in advance.

Chris B.

Hello Everybody! Long time lurker and finally signed up. My wife and I will be hiking the AT mid March 2017. We have just started practicing in the Shenandoah stretch of the trail. We are both overwhelmed by all the gear choices. Our goal is to go as light as possible with a big enough tent to "ease" camp tensions that might arise.

Thanks for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Just joined and cannot figure out how to start a thread. I'm sure it's obvious and I'm just missing it. Help! Thanks in advance.

Chris B.
    Click Forum Up top, select the forum where you want to start a new thread, then click "Post New Thread" (top left).

Hey everyone. I joined WhiteBlaze back in May of last year but haven't made myself present yet. I suppose it's time for introductions!

The idea of hiking the AT became an interest some years back but came back again in full force early 2015. Now, I'm firmly set on making a thru-hike a reality. I'm 28 from Georgia and my plans are to attempt my thru-hike in 2018. That start year will allow me to be debt-free, have a cushion of savings for my return from the trail and will allow me to save all the money I'll need for the AT itself. Coincidentally, I'll be 30 when I start so I figure a long-distance hike will be a nice way to celebrate my 30s instead of dreading it Getting myself to drop everything for a multi-month hike will also hopefully push me to propel my career when I get back instead of staying in the rut I'm in now.

I'm specifically planning for a February 2018 start date just so I can get ahead of the bubble and also allow myself the longest amount of time possible to hike the trail without having to rush through any part of it. I want to soak up all the trail has to offer at a calm pace and even take in plenty of blue blazes (while still being a purist lol) without having to worry too much about timelines. Not to mention the fact that I am currently very out-of-shape, have no experience backpacking, have only "hiked" some dirt-bike trails for a few hours, and even my camping experience is limited to group overnights with cars full of amenities and food nearby. I guess you could call me a n00b

I hope to use the two years leading up to my hike to drop weight, get in shape, take a couple of practice hikes, buy and try out my ultralight gear and glean all the knowledge I can to give me the best chances of finishing in Maine. Hoping to become more active on here as I attempt all of that!

Default Here we are...

Parked at FDR State Park in GA dehydrating our food for a March NOBO thru hike. Most all our planing and prep is done now, only our trip back is still tbd. This has been in the works for over a year now and we're both psyched to get going.

Just joined. I have found that this forum comes up time and time again in searches regarding light-weight backpacking and thru-hiking. I am a hiker, camper, light-weight horse packer/camper and have done a little backpacking. I chose WhiteBlaze to join because even though I'm more focused on the PCT and CT, this has come across as the best and most extensive forum for information.

I had originally thought to do the CT in 2017 and the PCT in 2018, but due to income it looks like 2017 will be my only chance to do such a long-distance hike. This means I better get my butt in gear and get training throughout this summer. Thankfully I have mountains right outside my door and easy access to 13,000ft peaks. I wish I could do the CT this year but with a horse packing trip already scheduled for mid August, it's a little tough to plan a LD hike around it and the preparations that needs.

I have a lot of light-weight gear already as light-weight horse packing requires you to carry all your gear on your personal riding horse. The same kind of mentality and preparation belongs to both types of outdoor activity.

Anyway, I will be planning to hike solo as it just seems easier than looking for someone with whom you get along with and have the same kind of hiking style. From all my reading it doesn't seem like a problem to find people on the trail to hike with. I am only nervous about camping solo at night without my dogs; I'd bring them as they would thrive on the trail (they are border collies and have the energy and disposition to handle the distance), but the desert and water issues would be too much. I do plan on starting earlier than most people, around April 10th, as I want to give myself plenty of time to do lower miles on the first few days and weeks and not feel rushed.

The only things to do between now and April 2017 are to arrange a pet and house sitter and plan resupplies, and then get some major hiking in around my horse trips.

Hope to see you on the trail.

Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++