WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thanks for the forum!

Images

alrighty then

Images

Greetings! My first hike ever was many many years ago when my Mom lived in Anchorage, AK. The Resurrection Pass Trail in the Chugach National Forest....loved it!
    Fast forward 30 plus years to where my brother finally talked me into joining him on a hike in Harriman State Park, NY. Since then we have been on several hikes with our children there as well as Hunter Mountain. We've been off the trails for a bit with the kids involved with various school sports and I've been side lined lately with a Rotator Cuff injury. Looking ahead to get back into hiking shape and researching the NJ/NY portions of the AT for a big future hike. See ya on the trails, Beanz.

***Planning 2016 AT Section Hike....Delaware Water Gap, NJ to Bear Mountain, NY***

Default New to the forum. Not an AT person at this point have hiked

very little and only a little of the AT.

Looking forward to getting opinions on gear etc.

Just got my first hammock and tarp after having a tent for years.

New to this site. My sister and I are going to be hiking the Maryland section in the near future (May). First time on the AT and would love to hear from anyone who might have some words of wisdom for us. We are backpackers, but have never taken on this type of challenge. Love the site, by the way, and have gained so much knowledge in just the few days that I've been a registered user. Thanks for any feedback!

Hello whiteblaze, just hiked amicalola falls to horse gap in ga. Loving it. Weather was hell. Can't wait to go back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjonesn502 View Post
    Hello whiteblaze, just hiked amicalola falls to horse gap in ga. Loving it. Weather was hell. Can't wait to go back. .
    Sweet. How was hiking all those stairs?
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

EFF' those stairs.

It is a great forum with all kinds of useful information about the trail. By the way, I just spoke with the new owner of The Barn Hostel in Gorham, New Hampshire and they are open and planning on continuing the operations as usual. There are no plans to close or change anything about the Barn. That's good news!

Newbie here - I'm considering this my first tentative step in my plans to hike the AT.

If those plans come together, the earliest I can start would be 2017. I do have the added complexity of travelling from the UK so my knowledge of US suppliers and vendors is limited.

Anyway, whether or not it happens I'll research every aspect, and if there are any others who travelled from outside the US I'd appreciate their points of view.

Although I made some overnighters many years ago, I stopped hiking for many years. Over the past few years, I got the chance to make some day hikes in the western part of North Carolina, and to make some hikes and do some paddling in New Hampshire. I enjoyed myself so much, and realized how much I have missed it, that I just got all new gear, and I am planning two trips for this summer. I'll be heading back to North Carolina for five days, and then I'll head out to Washington to hike North Cascades, Olympic and Mount Rainier, for about three weeks.

I am completely vegan, and I have an interest in enjoying healthy meals that taste great while on the trail. To that end, I bought a dehydrator, and I am going to cook and dehydrate most of my meals and snacks for the trail, supplemented by some store bought items that fit the bill. Also, since I avoid products made from or tested on animals, I have put together a first aid kit that is vegan and cruelty free.

Looking forward to learning a lot here, and to enjoying the next chapter of my life by spending a good part of it on the trail!

Thank you for accepting my registration . I once was an avid backpacker ( 20 years ago ) but due to everyday hoop - law , I've been inactive . Now that I'm retired I am hiking once more but with a handicap . I have neuropathy making my feet and lower legs numb . I work thru the pain to be able to enjoy old passions . I would like to plan a 2016 hike on the AT . Of course I'm not sure if I can squeeze a Thru Trip out of it as of my having to take my time and be more careful of the path in front of me . If I bomb out , I'll finish in 2017 . There has been many changes in backpacking since my last involvement . I'm looking to this web page as my tutor as I'm sure I'll learn a lot here . Regards >>> Gonzo

Quote Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
    Thank you for accepting my registration . I once was an avid backpacker ( 20 years ago ) but due to everyday hoop - law , I've been inactive . Now that I'm retired I am hiking once more but with a handicap . I have neuropathy making my feet and lower legs numb . I work thru the pain to be able to enjoy old passions . I would like to plan a 2016 hike on the AT . Of course I'm not sure if I can squeeze a Thru Trip out of it as of my having to take my time and be more careful of the path in front of me . If I bomb out , I'll finish in 2017 . There has been many changes in backpacking since my last involvement . I'm looking to this web page as my tutor as I'm sure I'll learn a lot here . Regards >>> Gonzo
    With that name you must check out Gonzo's Journal (circa 1983). http://www.2000milehike.com/
    Hope to see you on the trail someday.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Hi I am back on the forum after a very long time away! The Lupus prevented me from a thru hike and even caused encephalopathy in Oct 2014! However, I am trying to section hike again and I feel fully alive! I am hiking the smokies for 4 days and hope and pray it will go well! God bless all of you who are thru hiking! Lupie

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Lupie View Post
    Hi I am back on the forum after a very long time away! The Lupus prevented me from a thru hike and even caused encephalopathy in Oct 2014! However, I am trying to section hike again and I feel fully alive! I am hiking the smokies for 4 days and hope and pray it will go well! God bless all of you who are thru hiking! Lupie
    Welcome back. Glad to see you didn't give up.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Thank You for the forum,,,,and the welcome

I haven't hiked much... but I have done some short walks, 5-15 miles, with a pack. California, Texas, Mississippi and Maryland. All in the Boy Scouts. So I had to carry extra gear I would otherwise have never taken.

From about 35 to 80 pounds in those packs. Not conducive to doing much but striving to get to the camp site.

Back in the 1970s I had a nice brown cordura nylon pack, 5000 cubic inches about, that was good. I liked it. I had purchased it from REI. Gave it away, and now cannot find another one like it.

So I bought an Alps Mountaineering 3900 cu. n. external frame pack. I was able to adjust it to fit me fairly well. Hiking with it will likely let me know what I misadjusted...

I recently drove over to Cheaha State Park... and realized what I had forgottn and what I had missed all these years. Its been about 1975 since I went camping... I hope to soon change that.

So howdee from an old Texan ! We sometimes smell funny, but its not stand up comedy.

Journal Entries

Planning August 10th SOBO. Look forward to interacting with White Blaze Forum. "Granddaddy"

Hello everyone! I plan on starting the first week of April 2016!

Default New hiker looking for advice

I have just recently made to the plan to hike the AT. I'm not planning on going for about two years. I have never attempted a hike like this before and was hoping to get some advice on how to start conditioning my body, equipment, as well as any other advice I can get. I've been learning a lot through this site and I can't wait till I finally get to go.

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++