WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Hi Everyone, just stumbled upon this site. Would love to hike the AT someday. Im a police officer in Massachusetts so will most likely do this after retirement. Looking forward to reading everyones stories and learning a lot from this site.

Hello all, I've been thinking about hiking the AT for a few years now, and plan to start the NoBo in late Feb/early March. Any tips or bits of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Hello. I am an old guy from Ohio. Not a hiker..yet.
    Love to kayak and do overnighters in the woods.
    Good gear interests me, and thats how I found you all.
    Great site and lots of info.
    Thanks for this wonderful resource.

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a little while here soaking everything up on this board. I haven't been on the AT officially yet but plan to take about a week in March to go from Penmar at the PA/MD line SOBO, but have not worked out the end point yet. I'm really looking forward to getting out there as this has been something I've been thinking about for a long time. Thanks all for the information being shared here.

Whats up been section hiking the AT for a long time. Just saying whats up new to white blaze.

Hi, I'm new to the thread and looking forward to learning some helpful

I hope to really enjoy being a part of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by puppypaws0123 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the thread and looking forward to learning some helpful

I hope to really enjoy being a part of this forum
    Welcome. Noticed your from Mayfield Hts. Hope you're enjoying the snow. I recently left the Cleveland area. One too many Lake Erie snow machine winters under my belt.
    --

Hike Safe.

Hello! New here to the forum. I will be doing a 2 month AT trip, leaving from springer around March 7. Very excited as this will be the first long hike that I have been able to do. I am going to use a hammock as I don't sleep well on ground. Just got my EE Revolt elite, a Terra Nova laser 600 and a Eno housefly! Super stoked!
    I am a lamp worker of 15 years. Look forward to hearing from fellow trail nuts!

Thanks, glad to be here

Hello everyone
    I'm Spaniard and I'm recently retired. Now I hope to make the dream of my life. The Appalachians Trail.
    I'll go walk it in mid-March next year.
    I hope this forum guide me about all the things I need to know to make enjoying it
    Many Thanks.

Default Saludos

Hello everyone
    I'm Spaniard and I'm recently retired. Now I hope to make the dream of my life. The Appalachians Trail.
    I hope this forum guide me about all the things I need to know to make enjoying it
    Many Thanks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel Olivares View Post
    Hello everyone
    Many Thanks.
    It will be great. In addition to getting your own questions answered here on Whiteblaze, I hope you will share your own perspectives and expertise.

You you may know this already, but a Spaniard was responsible for naming these Mountains-- at least that is what Wikipedia says:

After the de Soto expedition in 1540, Spanish cartographers began to apply the name of the tribe to the mountains themselves. The first cartographic appearance of Apalchen is on Diego Gutierrez's map of 1562; the first use for the mountain range is the map of Jacques le Moyne de Morgues in 1565.[1

Hola Rick.
    Gracias por la bienvenida. Sé muy bien la historia de los españoles en América, incluyendo el área que hoy es EE.UU.. Me encanta la historia.
    Me encanta caminar por las montañas de los Pirineos, también se han hecho tres veces el Camino de Santiago, la última vez en la Navidad.
    Creo que estoy bien preparado física y mentalmente para hacerlo sin problemas si Dios quiere.
    Buen Camino.

Hi Rick.
    Thanks for the welcome. I know very well the history of the Spaniards in America, including the area that today is USA. I love history.
    I love walking through the Pyrenees Mountains, also have made three times the Camino de Santiago, the last time in Christmas.
    I think, I'm well prepared physically and mentally to do it smoothly God willing.
    Buen Camino.

Good morning all. I'll be making my first section hike in May, north from Pen Mar to Duncannon. I am soaking up lots of good information from the site, it is much appreciated. My wife thinks I am insane and she may be correct.

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading for days on this sight and finally decided to join.

A big hike has been a dream of mine for a few years now and the older I get the more pressure I feel to start. I just don't know which big trail to begin. Although, I know for a fact section hiking is how I will have accomplish this goal because of job requirements, but I am ok with that.

I think this AP may be the trail to do, but where to start, what part is the most scenic, what area is best for beginners, etc.
    I will continue reading but if you have any information you care to share directly, please share. I am listening

Good Morning all...

My name is Bonny, I am new here and relatively new to hiking. I hike around my state (Connecticut) quite a bit, but backpacking and trekking is fairly new to me. I've always "lurked" here but last night I decided to join because a friend had mentioned I should. I am the founder of hiking4hearts, what is that? Well, I have a rare form of heart disease called Left Ventricular Noncompaction Cardiomyopathy. Its a new disease and very rare so I have decided to hike 500 miles of the AT to raise money and awareness, as well as show others newly diagnosed that we are not a diagnosis and we can still do whatever we want. You know, I may only make it a few miles, who knows. But I do know that I will give it my all I have a few corporate sponsors so far, KEEN, Darn Tough, Petzl are all donating some items... I still need the big things (ie tent, pack, etc). Ill be perusing the gear for sale boards a lot! Thanks for everyone making me feel so welcome

Oh and anyone can visit the cause or follow my blog of epic crankiness on the trail lol at hiking4hearts.org

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

After the de Soto expedition in 1540, Spanish cartographers began to apply the name of the tribe to the mountains themselves. The first cartographic appearance of Apalchen is on Diego Gutierrez's map of 1562; the first use for the mountain range is the map of Jacques le Moyne de Morgues in 1565.[1
    I did not know this. Nice factoid rickb. Thank you for sharing!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Hello Everyone -
    I am seeking advice on stoves for my upcoming thru hike on the AT starting April 10th.
    Most of my food is dehydrated, but would like to occasionally fry or pan bake.
    Having a hard time deciding also which is the best stove to take - alcohol or cannister?
    Appreciate everyone's insights.

Hello everyone! We are a nomadic couple who is hiking the AT starting next month!
    Nice to meet everyone here

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++