WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Long time lurker, Hiked and camped a few sections here in GA over the years. Actually taking the kids to Amicalola this weekend. This site is incredible with all of the knowledge and advice you could ever want. Hike on.

Default North East AT hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Tryonis View Post
    Long time lurker, Hiked and camped a few sections here in GA over the years. Actually taking the kids to Amicalola this weekend. This site is incredible with all of the knowledge and advice you could ever want. Hike on.
    The Wilderness and some other sections of the N.E. AT are rated by some hikers as tough, hand over hand type climbing. I wonder if anyone has ever hiked these sections with a prosthetic arm? Just liked to know what I'm getting into. I plan to thru hike the entire trail soon and nothing much has caught my attention until I read recently about a couple of thru hiker experiences in the NE I have an A/E prosthetic left arm & am a very active hiker but as Clint Eastwood would say "A mans got to know his limitations."
    Last edited by Farr Away; 09-29-2014 at 15:39. Reason: added close quote

Im new to WhiteBlaze.net,and im so glad I found the forum.I love it

Images

Hello from Baltimore, MD... I've been hiking on the AT for over 30 years, and hope to see a white blaze every year until I croak!

Really grateful for all the helpful info this site has; found it yesterday.
    Going to college in Boston, Mass, originally from CT.

In the midst of planning a 600 mile hike for next summer, and taking advantage of your past experiences/suggestions. Keep on trekin'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WALKINGWILBUR View Post
    The Wilderness and some other sections of the N.E. AT are rated by some hikers as tough, hand over hand type climbing. I wonder if anyone has ever hiked these sections with a prosthetic arm? Just liked to know what I'm getting into. I plan to thru hike the entire trail soon and nothing much has caught my attention until I read recently about a couple of thru hiker experiences in the NE I have an A/E prosthetic left arm & am a very active hiker but as Clint Eastwood would say "A mans got to know his limitations."
    I am sure you will rise above any obstacles. Just ask for help if you need it.

Well, I guess it's a better midlife crisis than buying a useless car!

I'm a noob to long distance hiking, and by "long distance" I mean further than from my car to the office door. Apparently I've had this idea before as I joined this forum in 2009 (?).

The plan is to use the time between now and September to get in shape to only do the Massachuestts portion of the AT. That's really all I can take time off to do, and quite frankly about 90 miles longer than I've ever hiked before. With a bad back and a beer gut to die for (or from!), I've certainly got my work cut out.

Got the AT offcial trail guide yesterday, and now to spend the weekend reading it and trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into.

Wish me luck!

Hey, everybody!

I'm fairly new to long-distance hiking and transitioning over from peak bagging to chase that Triple Crown dream. I had thought the AT would be my first big one, but things have changed. Instead, I'm leaving for the TeA/TA in a few weeks to get some of that international flavor. I have tentative dates in mind for the PCT and AT, but I like to think about one adventure at a time.

This forum seems to be the best one in terms of resources, and I hope to be a helpful contributor to this community.

Thumbs up

Thank you for all the info and help I've received as a lurker.. I like the way everyone wants people to succeed in whatever it is they are doing. From advice on scouting locations from those who've been there already to DIY projects there are people who want you to achieve your goals.

I've found lots of help/instruction for my DIY projects already and hope to add to the round table.

I have been a skilled tradesman (welder) in a steel mill for almost 20 years now, and as I get older and more broken down I am having to re-examine how I hike with things like lightening my gear and what I am looking for out of the experience.

Thank you for welcoming me into your circle.

I've been a longtime day hiker. I've gotten more into camping over the last 5 years of having my Jeep. It's great to drive out to the middle of nowhere, push a vehicle and driver to their limits, then throw out a tent and enjoy the evening. In support of that effort, I've been collecting gear. I found myself watching some Outdoor Gear Review videos and now I'm planning my first overnight hike. I've been here reading up on gear, good, and planning methods. Lots to learn here!

I'm a carpenter by trade, so I've spent most days outside for the last 15 years or so. I've always had 4x4s and had an ATV for the last 10 years. Needless to say, I'm an outside person. I also collect and repair Coleman lanterns and stoves.

It'll definitely be interesting to slow down and take in the sights on foot rather than through a windshield or over the handlebars.

New to the forums from AZ ...thanks all

Glad to be here. Finding TONS of great info and funny stories. Shooting for 2016 NOBO. Looking forward to meeting some good folks on WB!

Peace

I heard about the AT years ago and would like to walk it one day. Mountain country and wilderness have always drawn me. I am looking to learn what would be involved in making my dream come true.

Giles

Thanks for welcoming me into the community. Have hiked short portions of the AT in CT, ME, and NH- years ago with girl scouts and family. Just got back from a drive from TX to CT, saw a lot of the trail in the distance and was inspired. At this point, I'm looking about 4-6 years out before a thru hike- I have 2 dogs that I can't bring and 6 months is a long time to board them. In the meantime, I'm going to be soaking up info, gathering gear, and trying to get as many short sections in as I can. Looking forward to the journey.

should've likely done this already... but here we go.

Names Eric and have acquired the trail name of "Gone" on my AT section hike for disappearing rather quickly down the trail and leaving my group quite some distance behind.

I Live in Florida, roughly 30-45 mins from the florida trail. Im a 30 year old Eagle Scout that just really realized how awesome backpacking really is. I've hiked the Ocean to Lake spur trail on the Florida trail, most of the big cypress swamp, and the AT approach trail up to Neel's gap.

I'm in the Lightweight camp for gear, fully loaded out for 4 days (food and 3.5L water) im at 38 pounds, dry im in the 18-20 pound range (i think... not really a gram weenie) and looking to get lighter. (who really needs a pack cover anyhow?)

I'm looking to section hike various parts of the AT each year and have a great time doing so. I look forward to using the knowledge base here to support getting out and enjoying this country.

Hi all!

Sectioned from Springer to to around Troutdale, VA in '92 or so (can't remember exactly ) under the name Friar Tuck. Worked in a small mom & pop outfitter store in H'burg, VA (straight down Hwy 33 to the west of the SNP) for about 10 years before moving back home to the Midwest (where I've been working as Director of a small public library). Not much hiking in Iowa (just did a 10 mile circuit around a local lake yesterday).

Wife & I are quitting our jobs in the spring and heading back east to jump on the trail. Hoping to do a "head-start" thru...beginning in the SNP/VA about mid-April (still have some family & friends in the H'burg area, so should be able to do a large portion of the SNP as day-hike/slack-pack to ease into some semblance of trail form). Barring injury, will head north to Katahdin then hitch or bus back to VA to head south for a late-October/November finish. Neither of us will have a reason to rush...just going to take it as it goes. :-)

Hope to see some of you out there!

Here's the welcome thread! I couldn't find it so this is my 7th post or something like that...

Long time outdoor person. Started in the Indian Guides, then Webelos, then Boy Scouts, and been doing stuff outdoors every since. I mostly like to do multi-day kayak trips, and just got into white water kayaking on the Lehigh Gorge, and now have a new group of friends who like to hike...so that brings me here. I did the NJ portion of the Appalachian Trail probably 20 years ago, but not many multi-day hikes since then (unless you count portaging a 65 pound kayak during those trips

I'm planning on getting into some better shape this winter (I can paddle all day long and then some, but walk up/down steep mountains not so much), and fine-tuning my UL pack (currently at 9.57 pounds – granted my GG Gorilla in the mail right now will fit me comfortably). Then I'll be ready to hit the trail again!

Images

Forget the gear, and Just Walk.....an Breathe.

Hi Everybody!

I came across this forum whilst researching the AT and I am glad I found it! I am tentatively planning for 2016, so I have enough time to bother you all with questions. I have done some long distance hikes here in Europe, but never elsewhere. SY
    Last long distance walk: Prague to Santiago de Compostela (2014), next one the Appalachian Trail?

I'm so glad to have found your site and the great information it has to offer. I'll be making a donation.

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++