WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast

Welcome one and all!

Hey everyone. I've casually lurked for years, but decided to pony up and register (and post). Never hiked the AT, but hope to someday. Thanks for all the great information, encouragement, and community. Seems like good people reside here.

Thanks

Like so many AT hikers who in old times would enjoy disappearing into the woods for days or weeks at a time, I am now just another slave to the mobile phone. I use Tapatalk for a couple of forums that I frequent. This past week I was looking for an AT community forum, but could not find one via Tapatalk's less-than-adequate search function. I turned to Google and discovered whiteblaze.net, and found that it was available through Tapatalk. So, as I would always begin every shelter journal post back in the '90s:

Shakespeare here!

Isn't it a glorious day for a hike!?

Shakes
    Shakes

Just signed up...been trolling for quite a while looking at gear and reviews, time to take the plunge!

Need to get my post count up to start a new thread...

Hi everyone!

I suppose I'm fairly new to hiking, I've been hiking with my boyfriend for about a year now, and we love to hike in western NJ or upstate NY. Lately our trips have taken us to sections of the AT, and we've been building up to longer day hikes all this season. Just this weekend we did a 10-mile loop up in Blairstown, NJ, which took us by a camp store not too far off the trail. We're hoping to do a 15-mile day hike in a couple of weeks ... the question is, can I one day do 15 miles, and then instead of getting in my car and going home to a nice stir-fry, getting my arse up the next morning and doing it all over again? :P

I've been getting really excited about one day thru-hiking the AT, and I really wanted to be in a community with other people who love and know about hiking. So, howdy.

Journal Entries

Hi, y'all! I have NEVER hiked but recently read a book about hiking the AT and now I am simply OBSESSED! I am 57 years young who is now prepping for my first hike. I am reading all I can get, found a local club to join for day hikes and short 3 day ones. I am working on the treadmill to lose some pounds and get off all my medications in prep for a through hike. I have Fibromyalgia and I am Type 2 Diabetic so I am going to work closely with my doc to make this happen. I used to be on insulin but was able to lose 30 pounds two years ago and have been off insulin since! Now to lose another 30 and perhaps get off my pills. Do you all know of any other diabetics that have done a through hike? I've learned to deal with the pain of Fibro since I've had it for 15 years. I can either choose to hurt and sit and feel sorry for myself, or I can choose to hurt and get out and live! Either way, I hurt, so basically I've learned to pace myself and live life although I do have to crash and rest every few days but from what I've read, that is very doable even when hiking a through hike.

Anyway, I look forward to reading this forum and learning all I can from you all!

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyheart View Post
    Hi, y'all! I have NEVER hiked but recently read a book about hiking the AT and now I am simply OBSESSED! I am 57 years young who is now prepping for my first hike. I am reading all I can get, found a local club to join for day hikes and short 3 day ones. I am working on the treadmill to lose some pounds and get off all my medications in prep for a through hike. I have Fibromyalgia and I am Type 2 Diabetic so I am going to work closely with my doc to make this happen. I used to be on insulin but was able to lose 30 pounds two years ago and have been off insulin since! Now to lose another 30 and perhaps get off my pills. Do you all know of any other diabetics that have done a through hike? I've learned to deal with the pain of Fibro since I've had it for 15 years. I can either choose to hurt and sit and feel sorry for myself, or I can choose to hurt and get out and live! Either way, I hurt, so basically I've learned to pace myself and live life although I do have to crash and rest every few days but from what I've read, that is very doable even when hiking a through hike.

Anyway, I look forward to reading this forum and learning all I can from you all!

Thats great! Hope you can lose the other 30 and get off all your pills.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Well - sounds like you are on the right track - just don't try to run a marathon your first time out.

Lots of people hike with all sorts of problems. Hiking and climbing is painful at time no matter what you do.

Just go out and enjoy learning about your new passion. You will find all sorts of people who share it with you.

Let me just say this. I was once like you with aviation. A friend of mine took me for a short flight in his single-engine plane and I was hooked and completely obsessed with aviation.

I worked my way up and about 6 years later I had earned all my ratings and held an Airline Transport Pilot license with a multi engine endorsement. I owned a total of 5 airplanes - starting with a Piper Saratoga II HP and ending with a King Air B200 Turbo Prop.

I enjoyed every minute of my training and flying. I accumulated over 2000 hours of flight time, with several trans Atlantic crossings.

I distinctly remember those first hours of training when I wanted to know it all - and now! You can go from newbie to expert at any pace you like - just take the time to enjoy it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I am not sure I can do this trek, but I think I can someday. Perhaps when I retire, this can happen.

Journal Entries

Hi all! I am new to the forum and new to kiking the A.T. but not new to humping a ruck. I am a 100% disabled veteran (57 years old) living in Eastern North Carolina. I am disabled from combat tours with the 82nd ABN DIV. I spent most of my time at Ft.Bragg with 3rd Bde but also spent time at Ft. Jackson as a drill sergeant and at Ft Sherman in Panama with the J.W.T.C. back in the 80's. Spent some time at Ft benning as well. I have had several surgeries and now feel capable, with the proper training, to do some hiking along the trail with the goal of a thru hike. (bucket list item!) I have been collecting gear, have started humping again, and have begun to spend time on some local trails. Great for my peace of mind!! I look forward to learning from the members here! Thanks! Lew

Have fun here...and even more on the trail!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Kona- AT '95.

I remember a stock broker on the trail back then screaming into his cell phone, "sell, sell!!"

I guess everyone is wired now a days. Different times. I'm back into hiking now that I have adopted a son. Instead of putting him in front of a TV we go into the woods. We are going out for a week long hike over Greylock in the end of August- can't wait!!

Welcome to WB.

I love the Greylock section of the trail. The pond and cabin 3/4 of the way up the south side of the mountain is really neat. And from that point north you really begin to feel like you're in the northern woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona View Post
    Kona- AT '95.

I remember a stock broker on the trail back then screaming into his cell phone, "sell, sell!!"

I guess everyone is wired now a days. Different times. I'm back into hiking now that I have adopted a son. Instead of putting him in front of a TV we go into the woods. We are going out for a week long hike over Greylock in the end of August- can't wait!!
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Apologize I hike in '94- the year of OJ Simpson white Bronco Fiasco!

Great to see all the new people here posting.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Images

Great community, newbie here, lived in the mtns all my life and loved walking in the woods but just recently started hiking trails. Loving it so far!!! Im in the Roan Mountain Tn area. Hope to see you all on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Roanmtnman View Post
    Great community, newbie here, lived in the mtns all my life and loved walking in the woods but just recently started hiking trails. Loving it so far!!! Im in the Roan Mountain Tn area. Hope to see you all on the trail!
    I doubt that feeling will go away. It will only grow.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Images

roller coaster here, from southwest VA. Section hikes from springer to Daleville thus far. I was scoutmaster for 9 years and took my boys backpacking over 100 miles in our area on the AT. also hiked over 200 miles of the AT with them. I have helped maintain the AT with Mount Rodgers AT club, and do trail magic in the Bland, Tazewell areas. I hope to see you on the trail !

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++