WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Default Hello all

Wanted to say hello to everyone
    I'm an old, newbie, been out of the loop for nearly 23 years raising a family,making a living,and such
    My youngest son is getting me back in the game
    We are planning an all summer hike come June
    Can't believe how much gear and things have changed over the years
    Very nice sight lot's of useful information
    Glad to be back

Images

Welcome!!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Default I'm New here!

Hi there! I just joined these forums and would like to take the time to let you know a little bit about me. My name is Rhodes, from San Diego, California. And I am 19 years on age. I am looking to better my knowledge and help others to best of my ability. So please feel free to ask any questions. I am hoping to make some wonderful friends along the way. I hope to get to know everyone here.

Default Virginia, water?

If I section hike Virginia, can water be easily found?

You can do it!

Actually, thru-hiking is not for everyone. Hiking period is not for everyone. I found out i was a hiker last year, but a very inexperienced hiker. I picked my trail name , SUV, partly for my initials, but because my pack was fully loaded and I got poor milage. I started in Harpers Ferry, on the 15th of june traveling north. This was a good thing because I was passed by every Northbounder on the trail. I got a lot of advice. And some of it was very helpful. I lasted for 6 weeks, traveled 365 miles, and decided that without a total make over, I was likely only going to punish myself. (I was unable to get my pack weight under 45 lbs. So this year I'm wearing a 1600 cubic inch pack, and hope to carry no more than 25 lbs, 20 would be better. I'm going to hike Virginia beginning on 6/15 with a new trail name, CANGO. I hope my experience is encouraging.

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Greetings all! Just found the site after I started doing some serious research into the AT planning my thru-hike for 2011. Using this year's season to get back into hiking again, next year for some more rigerous training on parts of the AT near to home, then hitting Springer for a NOBO on April 1st, 2011. Haven't done any serious hiking since getting out of the Marines in 2003 (I MEF, 9th Comm Bn, SVC Co, CEM Platoon 1999-2003 : OEF/OIF Vet (and no, I'm not Spike )), so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it when there isn't someone breathing down your neck on a forced march. Not to mention getting CS gas cannisters tossed into the middle of your march isn't one of those things that ranked high on my list of things I'd like to repeat in life.

Truthfully, this is just one more step along that trail of searching for "something". I don't know what that something is, where I can find it, or when I can hope to find it. I just know that I haven't found it yet, no matter where I've looked. Perhaps I've just been "looking" in the wrong places. If I find it here with long-distance hiking, wonderful. If not, the search will continue.

So far, just over the last few days, I've already managed to pick up some really good info on a host of topics from dehydrating foods to gear picks that should really come in handy. I'm looking forward to reading and absorbing tons more of the same over the coming 2 years before I get the chance to put my experience to the test. Thanks for the great site and all the great info.

See ya on the trails of Eastern PA and Jersey until the fateful day comes!

Joker J

Hello,

I'm new to the board also. Have been surfing this site for a while. Seems like a lot of information and some very knowledgable folks.

If I was to buy one book on hiking the trail, what is the best suggestion?

Thanks....looking forward to hearing/learning/reading everyone's thoughts....

- CB

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Quote Originally Posted by brocknoxious View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to the board also. Have been surfing this site for a while. Seems like a lot of information and some very knowledgable folks.

If I was to buy one book on hiking the trail, what is the best suggestion?

Thanks....looking forward to hearing/learning/reading everyone's thoughts....

- CB
    What type of book are you looking for?

Are you talking about a AT hiking guide book, or just want to read a book written by someone, about their AT hike?

TMM,

I'm looking for more of a hiking guide book.... Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Books Get Dated Quickly

Quote Originally Posted by brocknoxious View Post
    TMM,

I'm looking for more of a hiking guide book.... Thanks
    I bought two books this week. "Long Distance Hiking" by Roland Mueser 1998, and "The Appalachian Trail" How to prepare for and hike it, By Jan D Curran revised 2002.

Both books are interesting, and contain some good insights into hiking, safety, and what to expect from the experience.

However, IMO in the areas of equipment, hygine, and conservation, the information available from http://trailjournals.com and the forums here at whiteblaze and at http://trailplace.com/forums/index.php, is more current, and accurate based on more recent technological changes, research and experience.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

I've been lurking for a while, but only recently decided to contribute. I've been camping since I was in the womb, and backpacking for a couple years now. I feel most at home in the backwoods, as far from civilization as possible.

hey all, new to the site, love it so far!
    enjoyed hiking all my life, always wanted to get into backpacking, and last year i took the plunge, bought all my equipment, and have been fine tuning it ever since (im one of those UL weirdos)
    i currently live 10 minutes from the trail, and hope to take advantage of that as much as i can this summer, for as many dayhikes/overnighters as i can, with some 3-4 days thrown in there
    and HOPEFULLY a 7-10 dayer at the end of summer

best friend and i are going to thru-hike the summer we both turn 30, which will be 2014, gotta get as much knowledge as we can beforehand

anybody wants to go for a dayhike/overnighter in central pa ( from carlisle to port clinton areas) send me a PM, i have off at least 2 days during the week, and would LOVE to crank out some miles with experienced hikers (especially if they keep it slow for my fat ass...lol)

Default New to WB

Hi all,
    This forum is a great resource. Just returned from a section hike Dickey Gap to Damascus last week with my brother and his college roommate. I should have spent some time here before I went. I need to lighten up my load a lot and update some of my equipment and techniques. Looks like this is the place to learn.

Lifetime experience, about 20 days and about 200 miles total between Philmont, Ice Age trail and now the AT.

User Extraordinaire

From what I've read, there's a lot of good information buried in this forum. I'm a backpacking newb and looking forward to refining her backpacking knowledge/skills/gear/experience.

Default Hey everyone!

Hey guys!

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to everyone. I live in Colorado and love the outdoors and can't wait to talk about our common interests!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, joined today and really enjoying reading all the different forum's. Husband and i do mainly dayhike's for now as we just started last year nothing earth shattering yet. We have been working on all the waterfall hikes in the gatlinburg area plus several trail's in the area as it's our favorite place to run to.
    Gotta start somewhere...

Hello!

Cheers!

Hello,
    Planning a thru hike in 2011.... I had planned for 2008, but life got in the way, now shooting for March of 2011... Will be absorbing all I can from the forum and ty all in advance.

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new to the WhiteBlaze. I live in [flat] Wisconsin, but I'm originally from Massachusetts and have done quite a bit of hiking in New Hampshire and even more in Maine, where I went to undergrad. Gotta give my props to my parents and Boy Scouts for getting me into camping, hiking, and canoeing. I'm hoping to do a 2010 northbound, as long as I can graduate by then (stupid grad school). I've already picked up quite a few good tips from cruising the site and I look forward learning more. Thanks to everyone thats posting!

peace

Jofish, try hiking the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin if you haven't already. Great trail, not the White Mts that your used too, but again, not bad hiking either.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++