WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] As Winter aged, she stayed agile and powerful until the last few years. When we did a section of the Long Trail, I noticed that she was having a little more trouble on the climbs. She got trough the section and still seemed to enjoy it but I took it as a heads up and from then on had her do easier and easier day hikes. She'd developed arthritis in her right rear leg and began taking Rimadyl. Even though if we touched her pack, on the dining room chair next to her bed, she was excited to go hike.
    I really really hope I'm reading this wrong? You did not continue to put a pack on her?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I really really hope I'm reading this wrong? You did not continue to put a pack on her?
    Have you ever had a dog? Not being sarcastic, but curious.

I can see wiggling the pack, or even letting it be worn, just to see the old dog smile, but I will let Sman answer that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    You're consistantly wrong.BJ

As Winter aged....
    Superman, thanks for sharing with us. I am very saddened to hear of Winter's passing. I have great memories of Winter and you from 2000. You two were a team as anyone could see.

chief

Yep and what really ticks me off is when somebody says, "it's just a dog."

They don't get it and they never will. You too, Smitty. You don't cuss a dog, if you steal a guy's wife, okay, but don't cuss a dog.

It is what it is.

I Know I'd Hike With Superman,leki,phreak,nean And A Few Others Anyday! Nothing Better Than Your Best Friend Along! Don't Get Me Wrong There Are Some Bad Dog Owners Out On The Trail! Its Not Hard To Spot Them. Feel Sorry For Alot Of The Dogs Out There! Its Not Just A Dog! If You Don't Know the difference- You Never will. thats really sad!

--------------------------------

" just a pet ".. Jesus. I don't much try to explain IT to folks that think like that. They won't get it EVER. I think they don't have the ability to see , really see. ya know ? Thier lives are spent chasing after things they can feel and touch. The elusive beauty of life goes right over their head. I just wish they didn't own an animal. Up here, in Alaska, dillweeds with dogs are a dime a dozen. People with compassion for animals not so much. But, I have pretty much surrounded myself these days with the cool folks who give a damn. Thank God.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default get a house sitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    Question-If anyone has any suggestions for how to leave your dog back at home while tru-hiking I would love comments. My wife and I are planning a tru-hike and this is the biggest issue....what to do with a 15 year old Jack Russell : (
    Sorry, haven't read the whole thread, but why not get a house sitter?

Thanks to the Internet, you can get house-sitting done for free. I'm just learning about this. I am also looking for a house sitter to take care of my house & 2 cats. I've gotten some good lead at Housecarers.com.

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    " just a pet ".. Jesus. I don't much try to explain IT to folks that think like that. They won't get it EVER. I think they don't have the ability to see , really see. ya know ? Thier lives are spent chasing after things they can feel and touch. The elusive beauty of life goes right over their head. I just wish they didn't own an animal. Up here, in Alaska, dillweeds with dogs are a dime a dozen. People with compassion for animals not so much. But, I have pretty much surrounded myself these days with the cool folks who give a damn. Thank God.
    You know, when that Lab drops her head on your chest at 5am and gives you a big lick saying "it's time to walk," there ain't nothing better. I wake up with a smile every single morning.

Images

I had a 20lber that would stab me in the eye with a cold snotty nose if it was desperate. Broke it of that and it would put both little hooves on my chest and push down.

Creatures of habit, and don't you dare oversleep.

I agree leeki pole.. my life is far richer becuz of my animals. in fact, lulu is the love of my life in many ways. I would fight a bear for her and probably die for that... hope I never gets tested. There are folks up here who let their dogs starve to death in their boxes... happens ALL the time. Alot of " mushers " up here never run the dogs. They languish on chains. I hear the lonely howls of frustration and boredom. it makes me want to go over there and chain them up... see how they like it.

As Winter aged, she stayed agile and powerful until the last few years. When we did a section of the Long Trail, I noticed that she was having a little more trouble on the climbs. She got through the section and still seemed to enjoy it but I took it as a heads up and from then on had her do easier and easier day hikes. She'd developed arthritis in her right rear leg and began taking Rimadyl. Even though if we touched her pack, on the dining room chair next to her bed, she was excited to go hike. I walked her twice almost every day and last fall I noticed something else going on. The first vet visit the problem wasn't seen and it was assumed that it was the arthritis. On the next visit, it was obvious and after some tests it was concluded that it was a brain tumor pressing on the part of the brain that controls balance and coordination. As the problem progressed she and I adjusted and compensated for her problem. I had set criteria for when I would call the Vet. It was simply when she lost her mobility and/or became incontinent. She didn't get worse in a continuous progression...it was more like her condition was declining as if going down stairs. On July 22 she was able to do the whole walk and then go up to her place by the flagpole in the front yard. On July 23rd she fell twice doing our morning walk. We got home and I lifted her down from my SUV. She tried to walk up to place by the flagpole but she couldn't keep her balance as she walked across the slanted driveway. She fell down and rolled down to the road. She was confused by what had happened. I picked her up and carried her to the flagpole but she wanted to go inside. I carried her in and she had all she could do to lay down on her bed. I made the call. I buried her in her favorite place by the flagpole.
    Winter improved my life by a lot. "Just a pet" I don't ****en think so.
    Oh Superman, I am sorry to hear this, although I know our time will come to us all. You two were such an inseparable team.
    I haven't been on here regularly through the summer, so I just read this. I am so sorry to hear about your white shepherd friend. I am glad I had a chance to meet Winter, on one of my very first multi-day backpacks. I think it was the road crossing near Shady valley, on the way north into damascus. You guys were sitting at the picnic table there, and you gave her a drink from a square-bottomed Zip-lock bag.

She was a fine gal, lean, friendly, every inch a lady. I know how hard it must be to say good-bye to such a fine companion, and thru-hiker dogs are a very special breed. The bonding that must come from such an intense trek together would be hard to duplicate.

I'm glad you told your story. I'm sorry you've lost her.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++