WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    He knows something is up because he was "bouncing" around more than usual when I got home....making this much harder. Taking him would be difficult because he has one eye, not the best vision in that eye, and loss of hearing. He has not been on a hike in years (used to do 12+ miles and get home and want to play ball). Most relatives already have their hands full and friends have other dogs (Wiley doesn't care for other dogs). He is still full of energy but I do not think he could handle all that would be thrown at him. Hopefully a solution will surface....
    between the two of you you couldn't carry him once in awhile/often! its not like he's a great dane? doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...php?i=23486&c=

I get a charge out of dogs that sleep like this. Notice the lip/fang interaction.

Images

between the two of you you couldn't carry him once in awhile/often! its not like he's a great dane? doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!
    You have a great point. It will add an extra challenge to the adventure. But it will be a special trip that can be looked back on with joy and pride. Taking the little guy on an adventure of a lifetime (probably his last). It's something to definitely consider. It's not a big dog. Some perceived problems can actually have simple happy solutions.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    IMHO I wouldn't abandon a dog that I've had for 15 years for a thru-hike. It's just a hike. But if I have to be typing this ... I feel sorry for this dog. At least I know my dog will never have to face being alone or getting abandoned when he get's old or I get a whim. If anything - if someone does decide that a thru-hike is more important than the dignified treatment of a companion of 15 years. Just don't leave it in the pound if a suitable home can't be found. The chances of adoption are low and the thing will be scared and lonely for the last of it's days. Do the right thing and put it down. Though it sickens me to have to write this. The sad thing is most folks are usually off the trail after a couple of weeks.
    i agree with everything you said doggiebag except putting the dog down! your probably right too they'd be off the trail in a week or two. i would gladly take your dog in and give it a great home,but as much of a dog lover as i am,and your not! the dog would still be home sick and probably die anyway from a broken heart. i just lost my friend and was not ready for another yet. but get in your car and bring him to me. please before thinking/doing anymore stupid s***

Quote Originally Posted by glacier48 View Post
    I have faced that same sort of issue. I am at a loss for an answer. Any relatives or friends that would like free rent to take care of your dog? Maybe at a university college. I is hard to leave someone behind in the unknown. I am trying to take my dog with me but it will be challenging. Can you take her?

Glacier
    are you and frickfrack related?

lotsa dogs coming through damascus this year. they all look tired. i hate it when hikers drag thier dogs to dot's and leave them outside on the hot pavement with no water while they're inside having beer and burgers. these folks should leave thier dogs home

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...php?i=23486&c=

I get a charge out of dogs that sleep like this. Notice the lip/fang interaction.
    you just put a big smile on my face,thankyou! thats my beardog.

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    You have a great point. It will add an extra challenge to the adventure. But it will be a special trip that can be looked back on with joy and pride. Taking the little guy on an adventure of a lifetime (probably his last). It's something to definitely consider. It's not a big dog. Some perceived problems can actually have simple happy solutions.
    yeah this ultra light bulls*** is getting carried away,how much could he actually weigh? in conn. in 03' bear got her paw stepped on in kent. didn't realize it til we were out on the trail,carried my 50 pd. pack and my 100pd. dog over my neck for a mile or so to the stewart hollow brook lean-to. and then carried her back to town the next day. a local paid for her vet bill (i paid back after the hike)and put her up for a few days while i threw in a few more miles so bear wouldn't have to. love will make you stronger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    lotsa dogs coming through damascus this year. they all look tired. i hate it when hikers drag thier dogs to dot's and leave them outside on the hot pavement with no water while they're inside having beer and burgers. these folks should leave thier dogs home
    as usual wolf you are right. just because you own a dog does not mean you should take them hiking. you must go above and beyond if you take your friend. top priority at all times!!! night hike, slow down,give the dog days off at times,first aid kit, never let them bother others etc...my dog was my life!!! trail or no trail,i pampered her her whole life and only ever pushed her on the trail ONE day, ONE time.its sad but that one day keeps popping up in my thoughts now...

as usual wolf you are right. just because you own a dog does not mean you should take them hiking. you must go above and beyond if you take your friend. top priority at all times!!! night hike, slow down,give the dog days off at times,first aid kit,etc...my dog was my life!!! trail or no trail,i pampered her her whole life and only ever pushed her on the trail ONE day, ONE time.its sad but that one day keeps popping up in my thoughts now...
    you are an exception. most aren't like you. wish they were.

Images

yeah this ultra light bulls*** is getting carried away,how much could he actually weigh? in conn. in 03' bear got her paw stepped on in kent. didn't realize it til we were out on the trail,carried my 50 pd. pack and my 100pd. dog over my neck for a mile or so to the stewart hollow brook lean-to. and then carried her back to town the next day. a local paid for her vet bill (i paid back after the hike)and put her up for a few days while i threw in a few more miles so bear wouldn't have to. love will make you stronger!!!
    You are one in a million dude. Aldo and I went through our share of adventures last year both scary and exhillerating at times. I can honestly say that it was all worth the effort. People should remember that real adventures still exist for regular folks. Doing a long-distance hike is not an easy thing and adding a dog to the equation definitely adds a lot responsibility. Great adventures and memories are based on overcoming challenges. In this case leaving behind a potential hiking companion because it's just inconvenient is pretty lame.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

WOW! And I thought this was a Q & A forum? I would never just abandon my dog...I'm just looking for solutions to a problem. I thought surely someone would have encountered the same problem and may have a solution that I have over looked. We have an opportunity to hike the AT and we want to take it. I love my dog more than most people love their kids but I have to agree with minnesotasmith on this one. The rationale I see here is that a thru-hiker with a family at home should be doing the hike with the whole family, holding hands & singing Kum Ba Yah, complete with all pets....including tropical fish marching down the trail. I would never leave my dog with just anyone and would absolutely NEVER send him to the pound (and putting him to sleep just because of this is unthinkable!). It is romantic to think of him hiking with us but totally unrealistic...that would probably be the most unfair thing I could do to him (I agree with Lone Wolf). Trust me, I will make sure he is more than well taken care of if we find someone who can help out.

As far as bailing I agree with Minnesotasmith again. We section-hiked from Springer to Mt. Rogers Headquarters and have encountered a week of rain, sudden snow, draught, etc. and never thought anything but how awesome it is to be on the trail and hike to the places it takes you. We are mentally tough and in above average shape...bailing will only be because of a very good reason.

[quote=Frick Frack;616671]I would never just abandon my dog...I'm just looking for solutions to a problem.
    your problem is how to ditch the dog? i hope this turns out ok? doesn't look to good. have a great hike...

Images

Have a great hike. I hope your dog finds a nice home.

So, I guess if one of your family members doesn't want to hike with you, you should not hike until they kick the bucket? Or this only applies to dogs? How about cats? I imagine this logic applies to friends, too.

Oh wait, you probably don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    1) It's an animal, NOT a person. When someone says "companion" when the word "pet" is more descriptive, it sounds like they are confusing a pet with a human friend. I enjoyed and did well by the dogs and birds I've owned, but would never have let one kept me from going to graduate school, beginning my career, becoming married -- or thruhiking the AT.

2) It sounds like you are overestimating how quickly aspiring thruhikers that quit bail. What, over 3/4 make it out of GA alone, and the majority through the Smokies. If someone is not going to make it the whole way, they may very well at least get into Virginia, over 450 miles into this thing.
    Well, it's pretty obvious you've never had a true companion, sadly. When it's all about me rather than us, you've missed out on quite a bit, my friend.

Smitty, please think before you speak about true human/canine relationships. Thank you.

Default Lp...

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Smitty, please think before you speak about true human/canine relationships.
    I did. That's where item #1 came from. Too many animal owners have mental processes akin to those adults with small children as dependents who rush into a burning building to save an ordinary dog or cat they've owned for a while.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nchikergirl View Post
    So, I guess if one of your family members doesn't want to hike with you, you should not hike until they kick the bucket? Or this only applies to dogs? How about cats? I imagine this logic applies to friends, too.

Hey welcome to WhiteBlaze genius!

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    I did. That's where item #1 came from. Too many animal owners have mental processes akin to those adults with small children as dependents who rush into a burning building to save an ordinary dog or cat they've owned for a while.
    I understand your perspective. Given that, why can't a hiker give a companion one last trip (think Bucket List) of a lifetime? Sure, I'd save my wife and children first if my companion Labs hadn't already pulled them out, which they probably would and give up their life in the process.

I'm that confident in the training I've given them. It's love and dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by nchikergirl View Post

how do you know the dog doesn't want to go,what are you the dog whisperer or something? and yes it applies differently between dogs and relatives/humans! getting a pet is a lifetime commitment. I probably have more friends by accident than you'll ever have on purpose! thanks for asking though...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++