WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Journal Entries
    Images

Hilarious!!

Bishop TS, will still on for Pinhoti action??

Images

Thought you bailed out, or seeing as we were in preliminary planning, pre-bailed.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

No can do - link

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    where do you get these great emoticons?

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll help the poor guy out. Let's see, did you say it was 300 miles, the Pinhoti? So if you can average let's say at least 10 miles per day, you need 3 zero days for rest and resupply, and let's not forget the 10 miles you will lose over the course of these 300 miles running backward the wrong way away from all those pesky dogs. If these are the general facts, I can positively say you need to add 35 days to your hike. There, now you have it. Let's move on please!!

hmmm, maybe ms and wd can get together and start up the bestest darn hiking site ever...it'll have deep, introspective articles ,(as long as you subscribe to one of the two allowable opinions) and they'll have an online karoake feature...

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Let's say I thruhiked the Pinhoti NOBO in typical January weather. I would expect to do so at a level of fitness that would average 7-8 miles a day in Georgia. If I wanted to get to Amicalola by Feb. 14th, when would I need to be in Sylacauga?
    7-8 miles a day? What? Are you planning on crawling on all fours, or will you be carrying a piano on your back? Haven't you been living in Colorado? Oh, Mountain Man of legendary repute?

Images

Let's say I thruhiked the Pinhoti NOBO in typical January weather. I would expect to do so at a level of fitness that would average 7-8 miles a day in Georgia. If I wanted to get to Amicalola by Feb. 14th, when would I need to be in Sylacauga?
    I do not totally know your answer. But here is a reference:
    http://www.hikealabama.org/images/AL...s_Handbook.pdf

I don't know much about the GA Pinhoti other than where the north end connects to the BMT (Mile point 69.4 from Springer). The AL Pihoti is now up to about 137 miles, so that will take you about 15-20 days to hike at your speed.

So at the speed you want to hike, it will take you about 7-9 days to do the BMT.

So just those sections are going to add about 22-29 days to your hike. I imagine it will be about 160 miles and about 18-22 days for that. So total extra hiking at your speeds will be 40-51 days. That means you need to hit the start at about 1 January.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default No...

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    7-8 miles a day? What? Are you planning on crawling on all fours, or will you be carrying a piano on your back? Haven't you been living in Colorado? Oh, Mountain Man of legendary repute?
    I may have someone with me who won't hike very fast at first.

Please delete the previous 10 posts as not only irrelevant, but of no use or interest to anyone reading this thread drawn here by the subject title.
    Sorry, can't help you out.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Look, MS... here's the deal. The Pinhoti has rocks, ticks, dogs, rednecks, locals, no water, no color, hills, 4 different blazings, and only a few shelters. From your postings, this is not what you are looking for, dont bother with it.
    How many rolls of toilet paper is MS going to have pack for this one??

Plus, them dogs are really mean down that away. And no water???

This it too funny.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

How do you guys use the invisible text? I can't see half the posts on this thread.

I may have someone with me who won't hike very fast at first.
    You bringing a dog?

id support an extension like the IAT but i believe that springer in Georgia should remain the south terminus of the AT itself and for all you liberals out there remember just cause its tradition doesn't mean it HAS to be changed lest we live in a" world controlled by archaic cave paintings" true story someone actually said that exact phrase to me
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Default No, smoothlobe...

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    You bringing a dog?
    The woman in my life. She's heard all my Trail stories, looked at all my pictures, and been fully involved in sending out trail magic in care of hostels, and thinks that an AT thruhike would be fun. She's very outdoors-oriented, very organized, and handles privation and the unexpected well, so I think she'll do fine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++