WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Life's tough, ain't it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    The southern end was Rt77, as I understand it they have added about 15 miles to the south now. The north end was US 278. When I hiked it there were some flags going north for the extension, but I don't think that end was opened up yet - as I understand it they have added about 15 miles to the north end as well. I just pulled out my maps from then and I only see three shelters.
    WOW! You need to come back and hike it again! The AL section is +-140 miles now! A will grow again by about another 12 miles (of woods trail) in the near future! Technically, the s. end is Flagg Mtn, but its still a road walk for quite a ways.

Theres 18 miles on the south you need to do, and about 10 miles on the northern end that would be new to you!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    WOW! You need to come back and hike it again! The AL section is +-140 miles now! A will grow again by about another 12 miles (of woods trail) in the near future! Technically, the s. end is Flagg Mtn, but its still a road walk for quite a ways.

Theres 18 miles on the south you need to do, and about 10 miles on the northern end that would be new to you!
    I do need to come back and hike it - totally agreed. I think it would be a good hike to add to my re-hab plan

Hey, about that guide you mentioned when we talked - any idea when it is going to be in some draft form? And, you said you had some notes from my BMT guide. I did go back and do a spell check () but any AAR comments you have would be appreciated.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

The Alabama section was sweet when I hiked in December '06, and it's probably gotten better. One thing: Barney and I hoofed from the trail to Heflin and back. Three or four miles one way IIRC. Wasn't my favorite part of the hike, but doable.

Images

OH TS! So sorry you had to do that! I know that could not have been enjoyable!

When I thru'd it last year, I did educate the folks that own the HOJO in Heflin about hikers. While they dont offer a special rate, they at least understand and expect to see hikers in the future. They do have a coin laundry machine too.

Images

OH TS! So sorry you had to do that! I know that could not have been enjoyable . . .
    Wasn't that bad. In point of fact I found the road walks between Cave Spring and Dalton to be more of a PITA. I'm looking forward to the section north of Calhoun, just trying to figure out where to get off the BMT when I do it. Dyer Gap looks kinda awkward.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Wasn't that bad. In point of fact I found the road walks between Cave Spring and Dalton to be more of a PITA. I'm looking forward to the section north of Calhoun, just trying to figure out where to get off the BMT when I do it. Dyer Gap looks kinda awkward.
    Let's plan a little Pinhoti Trek in good ole Gerogia in late summer or early fall TS?? Maybe a 25 or 30 mile 3 day weekend trek?

Images

Well, for starters, how about Labor Day north of Calhoun?

Journal Entries
    Images

What is it always with the holiday weekends that my wife has crap planned for me already?

Images

Possibly she's aware of your tendency to scamper away to the woods on three day weekends, and is taking steps to manage that?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Possibly she's aware of your tendency to scamper away to the woods on three day weekends, and is taking steps to manage that?
    No I mean Bishop Two Speed's tendency to want to hike on these weekends when the wife has crap planned. I usually work those holidays like that so I can take a day off later of my choosing. We don't all have a cushy job that is closed on those holidays.

He who hangs in trees
    Images

I visited their website at http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/ and read they wanted the background music from the website to come out of outdoor solar powered speakers by all trail improvements.

Images

a better site for state wide hiking is www.hikealabama.org. While it does not have all the trail data for the Pinhoti, it will very soon and for most of the trails in the state!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeEngine View Post
    I visited their website at http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/ and read they wanted the background music from the website to come out of outdoor solar powered speakers by all trail improvements.
    that is the most annoying, john tesh wearing some birkenstocks, i accidently had my speakers turned up too much and the dog looked at me funny, cacaphony i have had the displeasure to hear in quite awhile...

Images

Just want to add that I am not affiliated with PTA.

Geezer

While it does not have all the trail data for the Pinhoti, it will very soon and for most of the trails in the state!
    Oh my goodness!
    Frosty

Default Hard estimate wanted...

Let's say I thruhiked the Pinhoti NOBO in typical January weather. I would expect to do so at a level of fitness that would average 7-8 miles a day in Georgia. If I wanted to get to Amicalola by Feb. 14th, when would I need to be in Sylacauga?

Images

You do the math... 190 mile of PT + the BMT section... quit waiting on everyone else to do it for you...

Default Cuffs...

You do the math... 190 mile of PT + the BMT section... quit waiting on everyone else to do it for you...
    I can do the math easily enough. What I don't have is a feel for how fast the PT hikes relative to the AT. That's why I asked the question I did, the way I did.
    Anyone who has hiked the Pinhoti, I'd truly appreciate an educated guess answer to my question.

Images

You said it yourself... 7-8 miles per day... add it up... (and yes, I have thru'd the AL portion...)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++