WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Dogs are actually very random as to who they bite, especially unprovoked. I've known more than one child who was severely bitten by a strange dog that they only wished to befriend the animal, at least until such time as it started tearing chunks of flesh off them. Anyway, when a dog charges me from behind, and I didn't even know the d*mned thing was there until its charge was already underway, my "attitude" towards it can hardly be the determinative

I have a right to hike marked trails on public lands. Dogs belonging to retards who won't keep them from being in a position to bite other people on public land have no right to bite me unprovoked. The dogs and their owners are the ones who need to make changes in their behavior.
    I agree you have a right to hike public trails. But by hiking these "public" lands you have to be willing to face the things that being in the public bring. If the "public" trail does not have a specific law stating "all dogs must be leashed" then you have to understand there is a certain risk you take by being on this "public" trail. The trail does belong to all of us, but not just one individual at a time. It belongs to the entire public, and that includes the public's pets.

But I do disagree that dogs are random as to whom they bite. I two have seen and heard of children attacked by dogs. While it is horrible and a tragedy, I will bet both the dog and the child did not have proper dog training. Anyone in the public who would bring an untrained dog onto a trail does deserve to face the consequences of doing so, up to have his animal put down. But I have to say again, I have never ran into a dog or dogs such as you speak of on the trail. And I find it awfully hard to believe that you were simply walking along the trail and some dog just came chasing you down from behind and attacked you.

I just finished a section here in Georgia and saw 3 dogs. Two were unleashed. One came running up to me as I met him and his owner on the trail. Now had my attitude been one where I thought every single running dog was an attacking dog, I would have taken a defensive stance, thus placing the dog on the defensive as well. But the dog came running up to me and laid down at my feet wanting to play.

It is all attitude and approach here. Much like the determining factors in whether you will finish and enjoy a PT-BMT-AT hike. Attitude and approach here, attitude and approach.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Id rather not turn this into another dog thread, but I have seen dogs get aggressive for no good reason. I've seen dogs encircle children - the dogs had to approach the kid not the other way around. I agree about the territory aspect, but when the dog decides the trail, camp, or whatever has become their territory they can act as though a person is entering their space with no real reason to act that way other than a misguided sense of instinct combined with an inappropriate application of that instinct to the situation. As for sixth sense it really doesn't bear out. Civil rights workers in the 60s that were attacked by dogs probably had nothing against the dogs until they got attacked.

Anyway, lets get back to talking trail and not try to blame MS for getting attacked by a dog when you didn't see what predicated it.
    Agreed, I'm through feeding the situation.

Good luck on your PT-BMT-AT hike MS. I look forward to reading about it.

Images

Whatever the PT and BMT are like, they're not for very long compared with the AT. Plus, with the time of year I'd be passing through there, ticks from neglected trail maintenance shouldn't be be much of an issue, I expect.
    Anyway, I would want to hit Amicalola at a good clip, something approaching 9-10 mpd most days so I'd have a fair shot at thruing in 5 months. As there's nothing like hiking to get you in shape for it, I figure that hiking the PT as an immediate prelude would up my chances. Plus, it looks like an interesting trail, one I haven't had the good fortune to be on yet.
    Good deal. You just have to figure out which way you want to go when you hit the BMT. If you want to do the entire AT, then you have to go south and do about 75 miles to Springer which would make it a more normal AT hike. Or you could go north about 120 miles to Shuckstack - this would skip some of the AT which you may not want to do, but it I think that section of the BMT is nicer than the other route. Either way I'm available for help figuring it out if you want to hike it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Thanks for the good wishes, BD...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Good luck on your PT-BMT-AT hike MS. I look forward to reading about it.
    It's not 100% that I'll go yet, though better than even. If my fiance gets in the family way, I can't reasonably be away that long IMO. Likewise, if I land a dream job (one that at least doubles my income), I'd rather work it for 5+ years, live simply, and then retire on investment earnings, hiking major LD hikes as much as annually, the way Baltimore Jack does.

Images

It's not 100% that I'll go yet, though better than even. If my fiance gets in the family way, I can't reasonably be away that long IMO. Likewise, if I land a dream job (one that at least doubles my income), I'd rather work it for 5+ years, live simply, and then retire on investment earnings, hiking major LD hikes as much as annually, the way Baltimore Jack does.
    It's a good goal.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Well there are ways to keep a fiance' from "getting in the family way"

Default Thank you, Sgt. Rock; I'd definitely want to take you up on that...

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Good deal. You just have to figure out which way you want to go when you hit the BMT. If you want to do the entire AT, then you have to go south and do about 75 miles to Springer which would make it a more normal AT hike. Or you could go north about 120 miles to Shuckstack - this would skip some of the AT which you may not want to do, but it I think that section of the BMT is nicer than the other route. Either way I'm available for help figuring it out if you want to hike it.
    I'd definitely go the "purer" route, covering all of the AT. I don't want an asterisk on my goal of a 5-month end-to-end AT thruhike. After it, I'd want to start looking at other trails to thru, not to mention my two Alaska dream hikes. Now, if I ever got around to LD hiking in the East a 3rd time, then I'd focus on alternate trails like the BMT, Tuscarora, and maybe the trail that goes more into upstate NY/bypasses eastern PA.

Default Except...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Well there are ways to keep a fiance' from "getting in the family way"
    That I WANT a family. I can hike for more years than I can sire children, not that the end of either option is breathing down my neck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    On the issue of moving the southern terminus of the AT . . .
    Sheesh, someone's always gotta get these things back on subject, don't they.

Well, if you want to play that way . . .

I agree with you, for slightly different reasons.

I don't think keeping the southern terminus of the AT on Springer makes any other trail a lesser or greater experience. They're all good hiking and should be enjoyed for what they are, not what some other trail is.

Images

Oh, Minnie, if you promise to keep your mouth shut I'll even shuttle you to Bull Gap to kick your trip off.

Of course there'll be a wild and viscous Benji look alike in the back of the cab.

Default Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Oh, Minnie, if you promise to keep your mouth shut I'll even shuttle you to Bull Gap to kick your trip off.

Of course there'll be a wild and viscous Benji look alike in the back of the cab.
    You do know I'll be bringing my bear spray the whole way this time?

I would think you might WANT to hear my best trail stories, like the one-eyed bobcat or the goose that fell in love with a hiker...

I'd be coming from either Atlanta or (more likely) NW FL, FWIW, unless I took public transportation directly from out west. That part's not nailed down.

Images

You do know I'll be bringing my bear spray the whole way this time?
    I got a cure for that.
    I would think you might WANT to hear my best trail stories, like the one-eyed bobcat or the goose that fell in love with a hiker...
    No, I wouldn't.
    I'd be coming from either Atlanta or (more likely) NW FL, FWIW, unless I took public transportation directly from out west. That part's not nailed down.
    If you're coming from Atlanta I can help. All you gotta do is keep your mouth shut. Well, that and not hassle my dog.

Images

Oh geez...
    I just love the way people who have no idea what they are talking about spout off like they actually do know...

Sgt Rock is just about right on with all his comments. I do have to ask tho, Rock, what was the southern & northern termini when you hiked in 2000?

Water... it is an issue. There is a 12 mile stretch with none. Be prepared.

Ticks... they are here year round. Deal with it.

Resupply... the store at Cheaha state park will take them with prior notice. Or pre plan a ride (hard to get a hitch) into Heflin to the little grocery store. But here too, be prepared, they take cash and local checks only, no plastic.

Blazing. All of the AL section is good to go. Cannot speak for GA. Yes, some of the Cheaha Wilderness was blazed, and it was done with the blessing of the Forest Service (due to tourons getting screwed up in there.)

Dogs... yes, they are out there. Some even get dropped off in trailhead trash cans. Yes, just ask Hammock Hanger.

Anything else?
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Default Re anyone's pooch...

...and not hassle my dog.
    If it doesn't try to chew on me or f with my stuff, I don't care either way on them. (If it's friendly and a breed I have a soft spot for, like a Husky, Malamute, Scottish Terrier, etc., I'll likely play with it if it's okay with the owner.)

Default Clarification...

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Oh geez...
    I just love the way people who have no idea what they are talking about spout off like they actually do know...
    Were you talking about my tentative assessment of the Pinhoti, or about what to expect from loose dogs along the whole AT?

Re the Pinhoti, I was mainly telling what impressions the Pinhoti website had given me from an hour's skimming, and was asking if those were correct.

Images

Sgt Rock is just about right on with all his comments. I do have to ask tho, Rock, what was the southern & northern termini when you hiked in 2000?
    The southern end was Rt77, as I understand it they have added about 15 miles to the south now. The north end was US 278. When I hiked it there were some flags going north for the extension, but I don't think that end was opened up yet - as I understand it they have added about 15 miles to the north end as well. I just pulled out my maps from then and I only see three shelters.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Clarification...

Oh geez...
    Were you talking about how loose dogs are along the AT as a whole, or my tentative assessment of what hiking the Pinhoti apparently would be like?

I tried to be very clear that I know little directly about it, that my impressions of it were based primarily on an hour's skimming the Pinhoti Trail website. Now, I do have fair experience with the climate around it (one of my grad schools was within 2 hours of the PT in AL), but that's a small fraction of what there is to know about the PT.

Images

Youre assuming again... and you know what happens when people assume...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Cuffs, I'm glad you joined the conversation, because you've probably got the best and most recent information on the Alabama Pinhoti.
    If it doesn't try to chew on me or f with my stuff, I don't care either way on them. (If it's friendly and a breed I have a soft spot for, like a Husky, Malamute, Scottish Terrier, etc., I'll likely play with it if it's okay with the owner.)
    Minnie, try to understand: the dog has been around me a lot longer than you have or are likely to be. If it's a choice of dropping someone off on the side of a road would you like to guess who's getting out of the truck?

Default Think I'll just take the bus...

Cuffs, I'm glad you joined the conversation, because you've probably got the best and most recent information on the Alabama Pinhoti.Minnie, try to understand: the dog has been around me a lot longer than you have or are likely to be. If it's a choice of dropping someone off on the side of a road would you like to guess who's getting out of the truck?
    Repeatedly feminizing my trailname not a good sign for us, either.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++