WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    The mist overmitts and some cheap wool gloves are what I like to use.

They'll keep your hands warm in some pretty low temps.
    Skids, have you used poles with the ULA mitts? If so, how are they holding up?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Skids, have you used poles with the ULA mitts? If so, how are they holding up?
    No, I haven't had to yet. My hands stay pretty warm if I'm hiking and if they're chilly in the AM I wear the wool gloves. I mainly got the mitts for camp and dipping water. I've only got them just this past Thanksgiving and have hiked in rain maybe twice since then.

I use just a hiking staff with a medium soft rubber grip but my guess is the mitts won't hold up to day-in day-out gripping a staff or hiking poles but who knows? That Frogg Togg material is tougher than it looks.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I use GI Neoprene gloves, they work great, and not too expensive.

I've got a couple pair of those basic OR mitts that have worked fine, but I'm playing with sewing some silnylon ones to see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    Rock, you probably saw Mist Overmitts from ULA Equipment, they are made from Frogg Togg type material. I own a pair (Xmas gift). Haven't used them on a trip yet, but I'd probably take them on any trip I might expect it to be cold and rainy. Though they might be useful as bug mitts when sitting around camp/breaks?!?!?
    I second this! 1.0 OUNCE! NOT a heavyweight durable mitt at all. So forget trailwork, logging, etc. But if you're looking for Water & Windproof, extremely lightweight shell to put over lightweight quickdrying liners this is your mitt. Bought a pair at Neel's Gap on last years thru hike and still have them. A little tattered, but so light I always bring them along as ace in the hole. Have used them to warm up hands and/or dry wet gloves all winter long on serious hikes in VT and the Whites. I have used them when carrying logs, firewood, etc, though I don't recommend it as they don't like abrasiveness. But I still haven't worn a hole in mine. Bought a second pair ($20) to offer up to friends as perfect backup mitts for those who just can't trust them as primary mitts. Can't say enough about them!

FedEx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++