WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lost on a Mountain in Maine

Anyone read this book?, one of my favorites. It was required reading in school and may still be here in Maine. Inspirational for sure.

No, but I will. Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    No, but I will. Thanks.
    i second that! thanks for sharing oh-mythical-woodsy!

Looks like a great read Jennsy. Thanks!

Images

It was required reading for me around 1990 in Winthrop. Good book.

Donn Fendler still comes into the Park every summer and gives a presentation, I was lucky enough to go last year, he's a very nice man.

ah good, from the title i thought this forum was made by some poor guy on Katahdin with an iPhone.... but i kinda wish i was lost on a mtn in ME right now

Its really a remarkable story for a 12 year old to survive being lost that long when many adults that get lost in the woods up here only make it for a couple days.

Images

Thanks for the recommendation. It truly saddens me to read nearly every time I visit WhiteBlaze that a particular individual and his entourage would have us believe you don't exist.

I most definitely don't exist and I'm not sure I would want to exist in a world where good people are disparaged relentlessly. Some people ought to be ashamed, but obviously they know not what the word means.

It is still in use in the Penobscot, Maine Consolidated School or was last time I knew. I tried to get my 1st Class Scouts to read it before we did the hundred-mile wilderness. Mr. Fendler comes back to Maine every year and tells his story to young people.

You won't hear it too often, but he also did more than his part as an Artillery Officer in the Army during WWII. They really were the Greatest Generation.
    Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience. George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. It truly saddens me to read nearly every time I visit WhiteBlaze that a particular individual and his entourage would have us believe you don't exist.

I most definitely don't exist and I'm not sure I would want to exist in a world where good people are disparaged relentlessly. Some people ought to be ashamed, but obviously they know not what the word means.
    well, since you don't accept pm's or emails, i just gotta ask...why?

p.s. i do accept them

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    It was required reading for me around 1990 in Winthrop. Good book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    Donn Fendler still comes into the Park every summer and gives a presentation, I was lucky enough to go last year, he's a very nice man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
    It is still in use in the Penobscot, Maine Consolidated School or was last time I knew. I tried to get my 1st Class Scouts to read it before we did the hundred-mile wilderness. Mr. Fendler comes back to Maine every year and tells his story to young people.

You won't hear it too often, but he also did more than his part as an Artillery Officer in the Army during WWII. They really were the Greatest Generation.
    Thanks for all of the replies, I've been meaning to mention it for some time now. I would highly recommend it for both adults and their children who enjoy visiting the backcountry, wherever you may be. Donn Fendler is truly an inspiration.

Woodrow, I'll definitely be looking this book up as I said earlier in the thread, and thanks so much for bringing attention to it. And for folks who are unaware of the extended good natured fun we've all been having, there truly is a Woodsy, I met him at Pierce Pond this summer, hopefully will again this coming June, he is a great man and we're allowed to have our fun as we will regardless of any curmudgeons sitting on thumbtacks for a life.
    Now - with that said - back to the "There's no such thing as a Woodsy' thread and the 'No Such Thing as a Warraghiyagey' thread.
    In the HUMOR FORUM - easy to find.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    well, since you don't accept pm's or emails, i just gotta ask...why?

p.s. i do accept them
    I accept both PMs and emails from many people. It's quite a long list actually.

At one time, I accepted them from everyone. Occasionally I still accept PMs from everyone. It's a way of cutting down on the quantity while maintaining the quality and I mean no offense to anyone.

I have no more time than anyone else and want to be able to respond in a timely manner. I would accept 1 PM from you, since you inquired, if you have another question you would like to ask privately which does not require a book to answer.

Please understand, I may or may not respond, depending on your question. Should you require a book, I have already recommended eArThworm's book list before and do not feel a need to do so again.

No PMs necesary. I'm not erudite enough. Don't want to be. Peace

I wanted to try and buy this book but not sure which one to get. Seems to be a few different authors and few writtin or published at different times. Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+maine&x=0&y=0
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Do any of them look like this? I think this may be the original but will have to look through my library to be sure.

Wow. What a find. Thanks. Definitely going to read this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Its really a remarkable story for a 12 year old to survive being lost that long when many adults that get lost in the woods up here only make it for a couple days.

Many times children that age do better than adults. They don't over think their situation. When they are tired, they sleep. When they are thursty they drink. When they are hungry they eat. ETC.
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

^^^ Thats a good point. Never thought about it that way.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++