WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Medical Treatment

Well, every thing started out great but didn't end well. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a Mortons Neuroma, which decided it wanted to really make my life miserable. Between the burning sensations and compensating with my right foot I decided to leave the trail to get medical attention. I am writing this from home. I went to the podiatrist today and got the first of several planned injections. One for the neuroma and the other for a tarsal tunnel nerve that covers the entire foot. This seems be the other cause of the burning and server pain in the left foot. This nerve runs down the inside of the foot behind the ankle bone and radiates out to the rest of the foot. The doctor asked if I had ever hurt my foot and told hime of the "toe popper" I stepped on in Vietnam over 37 yeras ago. He said that it was just "presenting" itself. Yippy - I don't need this now!!! Having said all that my goal is to get back on the trail by the end of April, at Newfound Gap. This is assuming the injections do the job, rather this than surgery. I met some incredible folks in the short time I was there and hope to see them again. Unfortunately I didn't get names or trail names. However, I met a guy from Nevada and a couple of ex-special forces NCO's that must have been experiencing a mid -life crisis a little later in life (just kidding). Everyone was really pumped as you could expect after a beautiful day of hiking and comradery.Looking forward to getting back to the trail!!!

My Morton's Neuroma was/is fairly mild, I guess. I've found that wearing trail runners with a pretty stiff sole is of great help. Tortional rigidity of the shoe sole seems to be even more important than its flexibility front to back. I've had to give up the Inov-8s I liked so much, just for that reason. Good luck with yours, brother.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You're doing the right thing by getting treatment and resting now. The trail is going no where! Take care.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default morton's neuroma

I've been living with a m.n. for several years. An orthopaedist prescribed me a metatarsal insert that I wear in my hiking boots and aerobic shoes. The wrong kind of shoe sets it off and the only way to get relief is to get off my feet. I really dont want to have surgery, but I may have to in the end. I'm starting the AT next month and will hike for a week. Bought Merrill's phaser peak boots and been breaking them in...so far so good...no pain....of course, being on the trail will tell the story.

Default Morton's Neuroma

PWATK45207... Man, I feel your pain!

Anyone who suffers pain from Morton's Neuroma understands how debilitating this condition is. I recall discussing my own concerns on Whiteblaze prior to my '06 AT hike. There are effective temporary methods to control the condition. However, corrective surgery for many seemed to be the best remedy.

Fortunately, there's a ton of info on the web, including:
    https://health.live.com/article.aspx?id=articles%2fmc%2fpages%2f1%2fDS0046 8.html&qu=Mortons+Neuroma

I've been afflicted with this condition since childhood, blaming it on stiff, too-tight leather ski boots. However, over the years I've learned a simple method to control the potential of pinching and bruising the nerve. In addition to wearing wider footwear (including hiking boots) I discovered that wearing a narrow piece of practically anything soft between my 3rd and 4th toes spreads them far enough apart to stop the pinching of the nerve. But anything works in a pinch. (On my that's good... Works in a pinch! Ha Ha Ha Ho Ho Ho I'm dying! Get it?)

A-hem...

While hiking with Sun Worshiper and Sees Bears (the lady Brits) near Daleville in 06, Sun described the aggravating and all-to-familiar foot pain she was suffering. We located a public access computer and I showed her several web sites describing Morton's Neuroma. Then, (downwind) I pulled off my right boot and sock and showed her the cone-shaped foam earplug I was wearing between my toes (big end down). I told her that it took no time to get used to having it there. The foam was forgiving enough to be comfortable, yet kept my toes spread apart enough to keep the nerve from pinching. Bingo! It took several days for her already bruised nerve to heal utilizing a similar method. However, that accomplished, this simple remedy helped revive the lady's naturally "Sunny" disposition.

(Incidentally, having also picked up a new pair of boots in Daleville at that time, the next installment of my trail journal was sub-titled, "Why am I wearing tampons on my ankles and earplugs between my toes?")

Others here may have advice for you as well. Bottom line... Barring surgery, do your research and try different methods to control pinching that dang nerve. Get healed and get the heck back out there. Good luck!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

The curiosity is gonna kill me. Why were you "wearing tampons on my ankles"?

Beth, who has been treated for M.N., too

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pwatk45207 View Post
    Well, every thing started out great but didn't end well. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a Mortons Neuroma, which decided it wanted to really make my life miserable. Between the burning sensations and compensating with my right foot I decided to leave the trail to get medical attention. I am writing this from home. I went to the podiatrist today and got the first of several planned injections. One for the neuroma and the other for a tarsal tunnel nerve that covers the entire foot. This seems be the other cause of the burning and server pain in the left foot. This nerve runs down the inside of the foot behind the ankle bone and radiates out to the rest of the foot. The doctor asked if I had ever hurt my foot and told hime of the "toe popper" I stepped on in Vietnam over 37 yeras ago. He said that it was just "presenting" itself. Yippy - I don't need this now!!! Having said all that my goal is to get back on the trail by the end of April, at Newfound Gap. This is assuming the injections do the job, rather this than surgery. I met some incredible folks in the short time I was there and hope to see them again. Unfortunately I didn't get names or trail names. However, I met a guy from Nevada and a couple of ex-special forces NCO's that must have been experiencing a mid -life crisis a little later in life (just kidding). Everyone was really pumped as you could expect after a beautiful day of hiking and comradery.Looking forward to getting back to the trail!!!
    Are you getting cortisone shots or alcohol schlerosing?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    The curiosity is gonna kill me....
    Well, Beth... Of course one must often improvise along the AT (in life) in order to accomplish a task or goal. Perhaps I should have included this explanation in the "Helpful tricks you learned along the trail" thread.

You see, I started my AT hike wearing 'trail runner' type boots. These boots were low cut and had no ankle support. Initially, this did not concern me as I believed I had strong ankles. (Still do.) However, as I got several hundred miles into my hike, the constant rocking, rolling and twisting of my ankles over (often unnoticed) rocks, roots, sticks and all manner of other ankle-bustin' trail obstacles began to bother/concern me. (And probably bothered other hikers within earshot of me due to my loud, uninhibited cussing when it happened...) Dang!

It occurred to me that even without the additional weight of the pack, just one of these seemingly minor, physical trail annoyances could instantly cause a hike threatening/ending incident. To me, adding in the pack weight factor increased the disaster potential just that much more. Additionally, I saw many hopeful thru-hikers getting knocked off the trail, early on, for a variety of reasons, including painfully twisted ankles,

I decided not to chance it any longer. I called the guys at Vasque and asked them to ship a pair of 12 wide, high ankle hiking boots to me at the PO in Daleville... Which they did.

Now I must tell you that I was not able to follow the best advice of Whiteblazers who encourage(d) those intending to take on the rigors of an AT hike to break in their boots prior to starting. I was so fortunate in that I broke in 3 new pairs of boots along the trail and did not suffer a single blister due to the boots. (And only one due to wet socks in 1900 miles.) However, my outside ankle bones were practically rubbed raw by the high portion of that second pair of new boots during the first few days I wore them. (And I mean, "Ouch!")

Now the lady Brits were quite well prepared for all manner of situations that they encountered or may have had to 'endure' along the trail. As we sat around a campfire one evening I was trying to make some sort of donut shaped padding out of a pair of socks to wrap around my sore ankle bones while wearing the boots. The socks were bulky and unmanageable for this purpose. They just weren't working. I didn't really need the padding over or under the bones, just something on either side to raise the boots off of the bones.

Sees Bears took pity on my plight and disappeared into her tent. She emerged moments later and while standing proudly in the orange glow of the firelight she dramatically extended her hand towards me. With all the "proper" British accent you can imagine, she wryly asked, "Rick... might these assist you?"

Well Beth, you can imagine my reaction. There was a woman, standing in front of me, offering me a hand full of tampons to 'wear' in my boots! Sun Worshiper and I looked at each other, completely astonished! The fire crackled... The crickets cricked... And then we all bursted out laughing. I can hardly remember a moment in my life that was equally hilarious.

"Um, ah, yes (gulp) thank you," I gasped when I finally caught my breath. Incredibly, the tampons were absolutely perfect for my needs. I wore them inside my socks on both sides of my ankle bones for about a week, (no comments please) until my ankle bones healed and the boots 'broke in.'

Simple, eh?
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

That's a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it, McPick. I guess that's what MacGyver would do. :-)

Beth

I'm still trying to learn my way around this web site so bear with me. After I returned to Florida I received 3 injections of the alcohol treatments for the neuroma. Did a couple of hilly hikes and everything seemed okay. I got back on the trail at Newfound Gap in an attempt to stay on a schedule I had planned. Got to icewater Spring without any difficulty and decided not to push to hard the first day and stayed the night. Next morning I started down hill to the next shelter, Peck's Corner, about 2 -3 miles the neuroma kicked in again with a vengence. So I back tracked to Newfound Gap and returned home. Haven't decided about the surgery but will get several opinions before doing anything. So as it stands now I may attempt to hike again next year starting in early March and just bite the bullet and get thru this. I appreciate all the suggestions especially the ear plugs, I'm going to try that on my next local training hike. To all those hiking now enjoy the beauty that surrounds you each day, and don't be in a rush.

++ New Posts ++