WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: katahdin issues

Default katahdin issues

Captain , 2008 SOBO katahdin

The problem i am running into is planning the first week or two weeks to get out to monson, after that im confident i can gauge by my trail profile and shelter guide book when to phone home and give dates for the next mail drop , now ideally i wish to START July 1st, my greyhound ticket is will have me arriving at 7:40 pm on the 30th of june , i only wish to spend one paid night within baxter state park..however was wondering IF its possible to get dropped off at Roaring brook campground in the park and in ONE day make it to the summit for traditional pictures then make my way down the trail to the birches, then move out of the park the next day? cause looking at toppo and road maps of the park seems like i would have to stay at chimney pond campground take saddle back trail UP the mountain and then head down off the top and slog to the birches shelter, from what i SEE looks like 2 full hectic days minimum but was wondering if someone actually done it in one day before

Certainly youcould keep to your initial plan. With that said, to rush Katahdin is to rush a moment you likely will wish you'd savored. An alternative would be to not worry about another night in Baxter and book your descent night at Katahdin Stream. Soak it in. The hundred mile awaits and Monson will welcome you a day later for sure.

Question

so it is possible to get from roaring brook , to chimney pond then up saddle trail , to the summit then down to the birches in one day... now that i say it like that makes more sense to do as you suggest and make my first day a leisurely 5 mles roughly to chimney pond camp.. then bright and early hit the summit and make it down possibly to hurd brook?

You might be better off by staying at Abol and carrying a light pack up Katahdin instead of your full heavy backpack.

Journal Entries
    Images

I believe you need reservations to stay at Chimney pond.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

You need reservations to stay at any campground in Baxter State Park.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody48 View Post
    You need reservations to stay at any campground in Baxter State Park.
    If your a thru hiker you don't need reservation to stay at The Birches but I think that is if your a northbounder.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    If your a thru hiker you don't need reservation to stay at The Birches but I think that is if your a northbounder.
    I believe that's true. As a SOBO you aren't a thru-hiker yet (believe it or not, for one reason or another, a few people don't actually finish their hikes!), so you have to stay somewhere else, such as Katahdin Stream Campground.

At least those were the rules a couple of years ago...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Thanks Marta , that tells me i pretty much do have to make a scramble from chimney pond up saddle then down the trail and hoof it to hurd brook

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Thanks Marta , that tells me i pretty much do have to make a scramble from chimney pond up saddle then down the trail and hoof it to hurd brook
    From the base of Katahdin to Hurd Brook is not a hard walk, unless (like me) you make a hard task out of stream crossings.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

The reason that only southbounders need reservations at The Birches is because if they allowed them then everyone would start saying that they are southbounders to stay for free.
    AT Troll (2010)

The problem i am running into is planning the first week or two weeks to get out to monson, after that im confident i can gauge by my trail profile and shelter guide book when to phone home and give dates for the next mail drop , now ideally i wish to START July 1st, my greyhound ticket is will have me arriving at 7:40 pm on the 30th of june , i only wish to spend one paid night within baxter state park..however was wondering IF its possible to get dropped off at Roaring brook campground in the park and in ONE day make it to the summit for traditional pictures then make my way down the trail to the birches, then move out of the park the next day? cause looking at toppo and road maps of the park seems like i would have to stay at chimney pond campground take saddle back trail UP the mountain and then head down off the top and slog to the birches shelter, from what i SEE looks like 2 full hectic days minimum but was wondering if someone actually done it in one day before

Why not spend the first night at Roaring Brook Campground and go up the Helion Taylor and over the knife edge then down to Khatadin Stream Campground in one day? That's how I plan to begin my trip.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Captain, 2008 SOBO,

Refer to your guide book, click here and call Baxter State Park 207 723-5140 with any questions.

Shades of Gray, 2008 straight forward question answerer.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    The reason that only southbounders need reservations at The Birches is because if they allowed them then everyone would start saying that they are southbounders to stay for free.
    I don't believe the Birches are free. They charge the same as at any other campsite. The Birches are not open to southbounders mostly because there is usually plenty of room at the regular campgrounds that early in the season.

I don't understand the reluctance to pay for two nights. The last time I checked, it is only $8. It's an incredible bargain -- probably the best on the trail. Katahdin is probably the most interesting mountain east of the Mississippi. Why not spend a night exploring it a little. One could easily spend a week and still miss most of what the mountain has to offer.

Weary

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I just saw you are from Cincy. I hiked Southbound last year and will be willing to go over this stuff with you. PM me if you are interested.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

BSP really needs to start treating southbounders like all other long distance hikers and not like all the car campers. But that is just my opinion.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I believe that's true. As a SOBO you aren't a thru-hiker yet (believe it or not, for one reason or another, a few people don't actually finish their hikes!), so you have to stay somewhere else, such as Katahdin Stream Campground.

At least those were the rules a couple of years ago...

I think unless you have hike 100 miles on the AT (but check on this reg.). A couple (Toesocks) stayed with us at the Birches, had not done the 100 mile wilderness, but hiked a good chunk of the AT and they were allowed to stay there. Maybe 100 miles in Maine. (?)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Don't understand why one would want to pay $12 for a spot at the Birches, when for $18 you can get your own site in the campground. Two can stay cheaper in the regular campground.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I think unless you have hike 100 miles on the AT (but check on this reg.). A couple (Toesocks) stayed with us at the Birches, had not done the 100 mile wilderness, but hiked a good chunk of the AT and they were allowed to stay there. Maybe 100 miles in Maine. (?)
    They make exceptions for flipfloppers (?) If he hiked to Gorham and thought he would run out of time, he could head to Baxter and start hiking south. In those type of situations they will let you stay in the birches.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Why not spend the first night at Roaring Brook Campground and go up the Helion Taylor and over the knife edge then down to Khatadin Stream Campground in one day? That's how I plan to begin my trip.

becuase im afraid of heights and trying to minimize the " oh crap what did i get myself into" factor on the first day

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++