WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anybody use the GSI Halulite Double Boiler?

I found a pretty good deal on one and i was wondering if anybody has any experience with this cooking setup. Thanks.

-Nick

I had one for a good year or so. It is a well made pot set. I upgraded to the Soloist and Dualist pan sets (which are what the boiler became) just because I like gear
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

I've never figured out exactly what you would use a double boiler set up in backpacking for..... make fondue?
    GDW

Quote Originally Posted by gdwelker View Post
    I've never figured out exactly what you would use a double boiler set up in backpacking for..... make fondue?
    Snow melting! Works great for that btw. You put a bit of water in the low pot, then snow in the top pot.

Also, the small pot works well if you need to boil say 1 cup of water.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Not trying to be snide, but couldnt you just melt the snow in one pot?I never understood the use of a double boiler backpacking either.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I do a First Flatiron Full Moon Fondue hike every year. Double boiler works well... Wine, chocolate, a full moon. Life is good.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

I almost bought one 'cause I liked the size of the outer pot. Then, they came out with the Soloist and the Dualist. I am happy.

My brother has the haulite DB and he seems to like it alot. We went out last week and used it, seemed very nice. He does not use the small cup though, just the pot itself.

Images

GT i think i saw sgt rock make a post about using a double boiler type set up. if i remember correctly he used the bottom pot to boil water, and when the bottom pot reached the boil the top pot was usually hot enough for his coffee/tea. just an idea

I have a set, and I like it a lot. When I cook my meals (on a trangia burner), I use the small pot on top to heat water for tea at the same time. It fits together nicely in the pack, too, with the burner, utensil(s), lighter, and a little pot scrubber inside.

thanks for all the input. i think i'm gonna go ahead and grab it. its a lot lighter than my current setup and im not payin too much.

My girlfriend and I used a double boiler on our recent Te Araroa through-hike.

It proved to be very useful. The top boiler effectively doubles as a lid and as a bowl. We found it especially good for cooking pasta. We would boil the pasta in the main pot and heat the sauce in the smaller top pot. Then drain the water into two cups (with cup-a-soup mix) and mix the hot sauce with the pasta.

Worked great.

I've been looking to replace the double boiler with something a bit lighter, but none of the more recent designs allow the top pot to sit on top of the bottom pot.

Default Grits is the reason !

Evidently, no previous posters to this thread were from the South. The signature reason to own a double boiler is to cook grits for breakfast in the backcountry ! Before you pile on with nasty comments, grits has now been renamed in snob circles as polenta, which the elite will happily eat with their pinky extended. But, they would never touch it when it was called grits - that was something that only folks who lived in a trailer park would eat.

But, I digress. Grits, which is simply ground corn, is a great base (like Ramen) to which you add other items to make a great breakfast "stew". Cheddar cheese tops the list of ingredients to add, along with dehydrated bell peppers and the type of non-refrigerated bacon that you can bring backpacking. Oh, and a dash of Tabasco or Sriracha. It makes an awesome breakfast, and beats the heck out of oatmeal, IMHO.

The problem with cooking grits in particular (and most other foods) is that the high heat of a typical backpacking stove will cause the food to burn and stick to the pot quickly unless the pot is continuously stirred, which is a pain. A double boiler prevents this problem, as the food pot (the upper pot) is only heated by water boiling in the lower pot, so it never gets hot enough to burn or stick.

Sadly, the GSI double boilers are now discontinued. I do wish some other manufacturer would bring this useful combo back.

Default South?

Not from the south?

Bro, I'm a lot further south than you!

Jandal

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseGrits View Post
    Evidently, no previous posters to this thread were from the South. The signature reason to own a double boiler is to cook grits for breakfast in the backcountry ! Before you pile on with nasty comments, grits has now been renamed in snob circles as polenta, which the elite will happily eat with their pinky extended. But, they would never touch it when it was called grits - that was something that only folks who lived in a trailer park would eat.

But, I digress. Grits, which is simply ground corn, is a great base (like Ramen) to which you add other items to make a great breakfast "stew". Cheddar cheese tops the list of ingredients to add, along with dehydrated bell peppers and the type of non-refrigerated bacon that you can bring backpacking. Oh, and a dash of Tabasco or Sriracha. It makes an awesome breakfast, and beats the heck out of oatmeal, IMHO.

The problem with cooking grits in particular (and most other foods) is that the high heat of a typical backpacking stove will cause the food to burn and stick to the pot quickly unless the pot is continuously stirred, which is a pain. A double boiler prevents this problem, as the food pot (the upper pot) is only heated by water boiling in the lower pot, so it never gets hot enough to burn or stick.

Sadly, the GSI double boilers are now discontinued. I do wish some other manufacturer would bring this useful combo back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I do a First Flatiron Full Moon Fondue hike every year. Double boiler works well... Wine, chocolate, a full moon. Life is good.
    I have to say, I like the way you think.

++ New Posts ++