WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Am I an idiot?

Default Am I an idiot?

I plan on starting from Georgia in the middle of June. Is this a horrible idea?
    I plan on busting a hump and make Katahdin just before the 15th of October. This will be my first hike and want to see what you all think my chances will be for a successful thru-hike, especially with a later starting date.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Mal

Images

1) You're not an idiot.
    2) It IS possible.
    3) HOWEVER, if this is your first significant hike, you substantially reduce your chances of completion by starting this late and forcing yourself to push as solidly as will be required.

You'll have to deal with some significant heat as you hike, though the temps at the elevation of the AT are not as ferocious as typical southeastern heat.

You may want to consider a southbound thru-hike instead, one that can stretch until November or December. You'll avoid the absolute worst of the heat, have a small tribe of fellow hikers that can help with the learning curve of a long distance hike (and you'll miss this with a June start in Georgia).

Another option would be to hike north at a pace of your choosing until some time in September, then head north and climb Katahdin and hike south back to where you got off the trail.

That's the beauty of the trail: options.

Best of luck!
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Go SOBO.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm with AT on this. SOBO is best especially if we do not get more water here in the south. Right now the springs are running pretty good and some lake levels are coming back up a little but..........

I have been on the trail when it was as dry as a dust bowl around every corner.

Images

We have done all of our major section hikes in June in the South. The hiking part isn't so bad -- it's warm, so you don't have to carry a lot of clothing or heavy cold-weather gear to start.

The way I see it, you have four options:

1. Start in Georgia and hike hard northbound, hoping to make the Big K by mid-October. This is doable, but it'll be a tougher hike and if it were me I would always feel rushed. ("Gotta make miles, let's go, let's go.")

2. Start in Georgia, hike north to somewhere in Virginia, then flip to Katahdin and hike south. This is a common strategy for late starters, though it means you don't end on a big mountain.

3. Start in Maine and hike southbound. Not a bad choice, but realize that you are doing the toughest part of the hike *first*. But you can slow down if you need to.

4. Start at Harper's Ferry, and hike north to Katahdin. Then flip back to HF and hike south to Springer. The are numerous advantages to this schedule: easier terrain to start with, get in hiking shape before you hit New England, late summer in Maine is beautiful, you'll be with thru-hikers from the start (though you will not be able to keep up with them, so don't try.) You'll get to end on a big mountain twice, and hiking in the South in fall weather is glorious. Again, you won't have any deadline this way, so you won't feel rushed.

Good luck and happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Just go out and hike and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Am I an idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by Maladar View Post
    I plan on starting from Georgia in the middle of June. Is this a horrible idea?
    I plan on busting a hump and make Katahdin just before the 15th of October. This will be my first hike and want to see what you all think my chances will be for a successful thru-hike, especially with a later starting date.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Mal
    Am I an idiot?
    Yes.

oh . . . and
    Go SOBO!!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    1) You're not an idiot.
    2) It IS possible.
    3) HOWEVER, if this is your first significant hike, you substantially reduce your chances of completion by starting this late and forcing yourself to push as solidly as will be required.

You'll have to deal with some significant heat as you hike, though the temps at the elevation of the AT are not as ferocious as typical southeastern heat.

You may want to consider a southbound thru-hike instead, one that can stretch until November or December. You'll avoid the absolute worst of the heat, have a small tribe of fellow hikers that can help with the learning curve of a long distance hike (and you'll miss this with a June start in Georgia).

Another option would be to hike north at a pace of your choosing until some time in September, then head north and climb Katahdin and hike south back to where you got off the trail.

That's the beauty of the trail: options.

Best of luck!
    What he said.

OR, start somewhere like Atkins, Pearisburg or Dalveille or Waynesboro VA. Hike to Katahdin, giving you more time, then take a ride back to Virginia and enjoy southern VA and the south (TN, NC and GA) in nice fall colors and cool temps.

Best of both worlds, but no continuity, one way thru-hike.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Probably should do a flip flop. Hike Harpers Ferry to Katahdin, then go to Harpers and back down to Springer. I know some who did it last year. Or other possibilities.

But Springer to Katahdin starting in June - I wouldn't. Too hot in the mid Atlantic (unless you like it hot and humid) and possible water problems (unless we get tropical systems).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Why make it hard on yourself. The flipflop or sobo idea is the only really fun way I can imagine with that time frame. You might still be hiking in december.

Just SOBO. So simple. Headed in one direction, always working towards the same goal.

You would get tired of explaining the whole concept of flip-flopping, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Just SOBO. So simple. Headed in one direction, always working towards the same goal.

You would get tired of explaining the whole concept of flip-flopping, anyway.
    Flip-flopping gets a bum rap due to the association with politicians.

Images

While a Sobo would probably be more appropriate considering your late departure, you could also consider a flip flop. It really comes down to timing and feasibilty.Hike your own Hike and enjoy.

Go SOBO! I'll get bored on the trail without a few other people.

Another aspect of starting that late: you will be totally alone in terms of long-term companions the entire way. You may share shelters with people, but you'll seldom see anyone for more than a night. Except for people you may catch up with late in the hike or the rare fast-moving section-hiker you happens to be hiking in the same place at the same time, you'll miss out the the hiking friendships that most thru-hikers enjoy.

Sobo may be simpler than flip-flopping in a lot of respects, but it's physiccally an awfully tough way to start.

If you don't mind the social, psychological and logistical drawbacks of flip-flopping (see the "alternative itineraries" page in the thru-hiking section of ATC's website) I'd suggest starting in Harpers Ferry or someplace further north. Mid-June in Harpers Ferry is the exact peak of the northbounder season so shelters are pretty crowded. Also, if you start out in the middle of the pack of trail-hardened thru-hikers, you're bound to fall behind during the first few weeks, and then you'd more closer to the back of the crowd, maybe feeling behind the whole way. Trying to keep up those first few weeks would likely give you blisters and increase your chance of injury. There are advantages of being around at least a few thru-hikers beyond having companionship--they'll will help you learn the Trail culture and help you quickly learn tips about gear and other hints for success if you're willing to listen.

I can give you contact info for flip-floppers who have started in various places in June if you're interested. One good flip-flip thru-hike journal I can think of off the top of my head (he start in Harpers Ferry early May heading north): http://www.sophiaknows.com/summerhike.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Thanks to all. You've given me loads to think about.

While I still mull over it all, getting geared up is my priority. I'm digging this part.

Again, thanks to all and I'll be in touch with my decision.

Thanks,

Mal

As in "dessert" not "desert"

If you are a fast hiker, young, and willing to really move every day, go for it. But you would be well advised to think about going SOBO that late. Bearpaw has the right take on it at post 2.

Images

another vote for sobo, there are more and more heading sobo just because of not being able to start till june, and avoiding the time restraints (still no where near the number of nobos)
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

++ New Posts ++