WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

One of my favorite trails is less than 10 miles long. A route having components with different names takes nothing away from the journey that traversed them. An analogy, it's great that I-80 goes across the USA in one shot, but I'd wager that there is a better route one could piece together to enjoy the ride.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    How about a set of Sgt bars like Rock's avatar - with multicolored bars and a train engine in the center or better yet - you get one set of rockers and bars for the Grand Funk Railroad Trail, the CDT and the PCT -- Sgt bars would be a triple crowner.
    Yeah, but you only get the GFRT patch if you walk the entire trail while doing the Loco-motion, thereby giving rise to an entirely new form of purism.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chili36 View Post
    Hey Sgt Rock, let's run the trail through Blount County. We could use the Alcoa Hooters as a "trail shelter".
    They don't alow tenting outside.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

They don't appreciate passing out on the bar either.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chili36 View Post
    Hey Sgt Rock, let's run the trail through Blount County. We could use the Alcoa Hooters as a "trail shelter".
    The near-by Walmart might let us tent in the parking lot -- and then there's the old Pellissippi campus lawn......

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would love the Key West portion of the Eastern Continental.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    No problem. Georgia will trade you the terminus of the AT for the water in the Chattahoochee River.

Deal?
    Brilliant!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there is no ECT

Wow! That's really going to be news to M.J. "Nimblewill Nomad" Eberhart and Jojo Smiley! The whole thing must have been in their imaginations!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Wow! That's really going to be news to M.J. "Nimblewill Nomad" Eberhart and Jojo Smiley! The whole thing must have been in their imaginations!
    there is no ECT in the U.S.

there is no ECT
    actually there is but it's only a few hundred miles long and it's in canada
    http://www.eastcoasttrail.com/

Images

While there may not be any "official designation" of the ECT.....there are still a number of people who refer to the Key West to Canada hike as the "ECT".

Does it exist? By "official nomenclature"..no. Is it physically present and can it be described by those who refer to it as the ECT...yes.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteblaze View Post

Official: Pinhoti won’t be part of Appalachian Trail
    Rome News-Tribune, GA - Mar 31, 2008
    Hikers familiar with the 2174-mile Appalachian Trail have started at Mount Katahdin, Maine, and ended at Springer Mountain in the Chattahoochee National ...

More...
    I can't get this link to work....exactly who said what and why?
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Krewzer View Post
    I can't get this link to work....exactly who said what and why?
    direct link:
    http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/68...ews890114.html

Never mind. I got it. Thanks.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Mm hmm, and maybe little rainbow rockers for thru-hikers?
    Will dogs, shelters, and hiking poles be allowed on any trail Wolf coordinates?
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Images

Probably not. Wouldn't coordinate with the rockers and train engine.

there is no ECT in the U.S.
    It's a route. Not an official trail. Someone wanna claim it's not a route?

Default That'd be fine with me...

I think both the AT and the AL & GA Pinhoti are part of the GET and ECT already.

Let's face facts: the AT termini are etched in stone and the route is always going to be a single white blazed path with blue blazed emergency routes. It is what it is - no more and no less. If staying on a single path without alternatives is your thing, the AT is your kind of trail. If not, look at the GET and ECT.

Many of us have move on to the idea of developing the corridor concept in the eastern US - it is already in use on the CDT and PCT. This makes the Appalachian Trail only one trail making up a network of trails along the eastern coast that could become part of such a corridor - not the only trail nor the premier trail in the east. It is just one trail - just like the Florida Trail, Pinhoti in AL & GA, Benton MacKaye Trail, Long Trail, Cumberland Trail, Pine Mountain Trail, Allegheny Trail, Tuscarora Trail, Standing Stone Trail, PA's Mid-State Trail. Finger Lakes Trail and the International AT are trails.

As for overseeing organizations, if any mergers happen it would likely be the ATC that gets absorbed into another organization. The AT is just one trail - the other two are trail networks made up of several trails.
    Some of the ATC's major long-standing issues (that their institutional culture is seemingly powerless to fix) might finally get addressed. (Most of them could get major starts in about a week IMO, but that's another story.)

Likewise, the GA Pinhoti trail club getting absorbed under the Alabama one would be a giant step towards making the Pinhoti adequate to AT levels (in the well-designed sections, such as [ironically] the AT in GA, most of VA, etc.) The AL Pinhoti club is manifestly much better at getting things done than the GA Pinhoti club, so far more needed work would get done if the AL club's region covered GA as well. It's analogous to how the GA AT club would do well by the AT in general to loan a top trail designer to eastern PA to at least show the trail clubs there some of the basics the latter have obviously long been struggling with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Some of the ATC's major long-standing issues (that their institutional culture is seemingly powerless to fix) might finally get addressed. (Most of them could get major starts in about a week IMO, but that's another story.)

Likewise, the GA Pinhoti trail club getting absorbed under the Alabama one would be a giant step towards making the Pinhoti adequate to AT levels (in the well-designed sections, such as ironically GA, most of VA, etc.) The AL club is manifestly much better at getting things done than the GA one, so far more needed work would get done if the AL club's region covered GA as well. It's analogous to how the GA AT club would do well to loan a top trail designer to eastern PA to at least show the trail clubs there some of the basics they've long been struggling with.
    MS: Please name the Alabama club that you think oversees the entire Pinhoti in Alabama? And the governing authority that is over trails in Alabama?
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Many of us have move on to the idea of developing the corridor concept in the eastern US - it is already in use on the CDT and PCT. This makes the Appalachian Trail only one trail making up a network of trails along the eastern coast that could become part of such a corridor - not the only trail nor the premier trail in the east. It is just one trail - just like the Florida Trail, Pinhoti in AL & GA, Benton MacKaye Trail, Long Trail, Cumberland Trail, Pine Mountain Trail, Allegheny Trail, Tuscarora Trail, Standing Stone Trail, PA's Mid-State Trail. Finger Lakes Trail and the International AT are trails.
    If the AT isn't the premeir hiking the trail in the East, which is?

Also, neither the PCT(A) or CDT(A) have a trail corridor aspect except in the minds of the hikers. There's official trail but many hikers deviate and take other trails. Of course, it's the same on the AT.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++