WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    Enjoy it Roots!! Heard from chaco that ya'll are havin a blast!
    Keep on livin the good life!!
    I think they have been living it up the past day or two. Just heard from Roots a few hours ago and they were near the Wayah Bald shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    Enjoy it Roots!! Heard from chaco that ya'll are havin a blast!
    Keep on livin the good life!!
    I think that Roots could have a blast in the eye of a hurricane, she's just that kind of gal. extremely great attitude and sense of humor. just a LOT of fun to be around.

thanks for the updates Gungho.

keep up the great hiking Roots and lil steps!!!
    Trillium

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    I think that Roots could have a blast in the eye of a hurricane, she's just that kind of gal. extremely great attitude and sense of humor. just a LOT of fun to be around.

thanks for the updates Gungho.

keep up the great hiking Roots and lil steps!!!
    Fun is really what it's all about!! She sounds awesome, maybe i'll get to meet her once i'm out there!!

Images

Talked to Roots around 3pm today and she already had 11 miles in. She was at the Wesser Bald Firetower. She was debating on whether to go stay at the shelter or going ahead and knocking out the 6 miles to NOC. She was going to rest and see how she felt. I Will definetly get to talk to her more tomorrow. She is doing great,can't wait to meet up with her at Stecoah GAp.

Images

Just posted 2 more days worth of trail journals, which will bring you up to 4/11. I have 3 more days to enter hopefully I can find time later on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    Talked to Roots around 3pm today and she already had 11 miles in. She was at the Wesser Bald Firetower. She was debating on whether to go stay at the shelter or going ahead and knocking out the 6 miles to NOC. She was going to rest and see how she felt. I Will definetly get to talk to her more tomorrow. She is doing great,can't wait to meet up with her at Stecoah GAp.
    WOW; she's up to where we hiked in Jan at SoRuck! GREAT hiking ROOTS!

and thanks to you Gungho for entering the journals, you're doing a great job transcribing. of course, you have an excellent journalist to transcribe for!
    Trillium

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    WOW; she's up to where we hiked in Jan at SoRuck! GREAT hiking ROOTS!

and thanks to you Gungho for entering the journals, you're doing a great job transcribing. of course, you have an excellent journalist to transcribe for!
    I know, Roots has missed her calling. I always kid her about her 'CELEB' status.

gungho glad to hear she is having a great time....
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

Talked to Roots this morning around 11am. She made really good time today. I guess she had visions of wesser burgers dancing in her head

She will be continuing on in the morning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    Talked to Roots this morning around 11am. She made really good time today. I guess she had visions of wesser burgers dancing in her head

She will be continuing on in the morning.
    i remember those burgers well!

Way to go Roots!!!!

Images

Well, It's so long for the next 7 or so days. Finally, get to meet up with Roots and join in on all the fun. I will be leaving for Stecoah Gap in the morning and continue North into the smokies.

Images

I am home. I'm not quite sure how to feel at this point. Gungho and I got to Newfound Gap Sat. around 11:30am and there were about 1000 people around. WHEW...not what I wanted to see at the time. It was sureal. I took the celebratory pic at the NC/TN line sign and it still didn't sink in. Still hasn't. I instantly missed the trail and the people. There are some awesome people on the trail this year and I will miss them deeply. I am hoping to see some of them at Trail days or on the trail. At least I have Massie Gap to Damascus hike to look forward to in a couple of weeks. My hike was so amazing. I learned so much about life and myself that I can't even begin to describe it. Now I just sit here wishing I were humping up and over the mtns. again. I am glad to be with my family, but the outside world is a little ugly to face after such a life changing trip. One day, I hope Gungho and I can thru hike but until then I'll just have to get my fix sectioning.

Thank you all for your support. I can't wait to see you at Trail days.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    I am home. I'm not quite sure how to feel at this point. Gungho and I got to Newfound Gap Sat. around 11:30am and there were about 1000 people around. WHEW...not what I wanted to see at the time. It was sureal. I took the celebratory pic at the NC/TN line sign and it still didn't sink in. Still hasn't. I instantly missed the trail and the people. There are some awesome people on the trail this year and I will miss them deeply. I am hoping to see some of them at Trail days or on the trail. At least I have Massie Gap to Damascus hike to look forward to in a couple of weeks. My hike was so amazing. I learned so much about life and myself that I can't even begin to describe it. Now I just sit here wishing I were humping up and over the mtns. again. I am glad to be with my family, but the outside world is a little ugly to face after such a life changing trip. One day, I hope Gungho and I can thru hike but until then I'll just have to get my fix sectioning.

Thank you all for your support. I can't wait to see you at Trail days.

Glad you had such a wonderful time out there Roots!! The trail truly is amazing!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    I am home. I'm not quite sure how to feel at this point. . .
    After returning home after my first "long" hike in the spring of 2003, 26 days, coupla hundred miles, I was totally depressed. Life in the "world" really didn't make sense any more. Kinda got acclimated after a while, but still not completely at home in "civilization." I don't consider myself hard core, hung around a couple of those folks, and I'm not in their class. Still haven't done nearly as much hiking as I'd like, but a boat load more than I did before '03.

My theory is if you go on any kind of extended hike and really get comfortable with it you never really go home again. You're just hanging around until you can cut out again.

Images

Thanks Wakapak and Two Speed!!!

Two Speed, you are exactly right. I feel like I am just put here temporarily until my next voyage out. Great memories, good times, and amazing feelings of peace. Can't wait to get out there in a couple weeks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    .......My theory is if you go on any kind of extended hike and really get comfortable with it you never really go home again. You're just hanging around until you can cut out again.
    You stated that sooo well Two Speed....after thru-ing twice, i've never quite felt "at home" anywhere....probably part of the reason i'm headin out again in a few weeks for the next 4 or5 months. I especially find it's hard to feel at home in the world during times of big life transitions...for me, it's easiest to ride the transitions while or after living in the woods again and connecting to the essence of life...i guess it puts me more in touch with all that is out there, and just makes things make a little more sense again.

Roots, hope to meet ya at TD's!

Images

Roots, one big thing you got going for ya is gungho. That boy is fun to hike with.

WakaJen, thank you for your kind words. I gotta say I'm more than a little envious, but Happy Trails!

Images

If anyone is interested, I just finished labeling and downloading all of my pics on my trailjournal. My trip pics start with April 1st. I am entering journals daily. Hope you enjoy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++